Leach is back..... | The Boneyard

Leach is back.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like leach, his offensive philosophy, his results, and his general coolness (love the sirius show with him and jack arute) but I take solace in knowing he would probably never come here anyway.

Reaction Score
If Leach gets that sorry bunch to win in the PAC 12 you'll hear extremely loud wailing and gnashing of teeth coming from College Park.

Reaction Score
Wsahington State may be one of the hardest places to win for a BCS school. What a GREAT hire!

Reaction Score
He will re-establish that program's history of having very good Qbs

Reaction Score
He will re-establish that program's history of having very good Qbs

So what would attract him to UConn (rather than perennial powerhouse Wash State)? Except for maybe the opportunity to create offensive excitement and redefine the program. Right now, the offense is a "resting pulse", needs to become more race horse. Offensive football in today's game is much faster than the 60's version that RE & PP were brought up on.

Also what is up with the Connecticut "Inferiority Complex" . . . "I take solace in knowing he would probably never come here anyway"? Why not UConn? A great opportunity, I would think, to put this nouve program on the map.

Reaction Score
Nothing we can do but see what level of recruits and transfers(for the short term) P can convince to come here and see how they are utilized. Hopefully it will yield a more effective passing game in the offense.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If he ended up, in Pullman, WA, for #$%@5@% sake, you can pretty much bet we could have gotten him, if we had an AD with cojones.

Reaction Score
So what would attract him to UConn (rather than perennial powerhouse Wash State)? Except for maybe the opportunity to create offensive excitement and redefine the program. Right now, the offense is a "resting pulse", needs to become more race horse. Offensive football in today's game is much faster than the 60's version that RE & PP were brought up on.

Also what is up with the Connecticut "Inferiority Complex" . . . "I take solace in knowing he would probably never come here anyway"? Why not UConn? A great opportunity, I would think, to put this nouve program on the map.

Leach has no northeast recruiting ties, my guesss has no interest in signing on to a team that is unsure about its BCS qualifing future, and as a passing oriented coach would not want to walk into a situation like UConn's where he would have to completly start over at the receiver and quarterback position.

Reaction Score
nobody knows if we could have gotten Leach. we never asked him to interview. unless you do that you never know. either way who gives a F? it didn't happen there's no point in crying about it. pining over missed opportunites is no way to go through life

Reaction Score
There's a reason this guy ended up at Washington State. He is not without his issues and related risks.

Reaction Score
You can bet that just like Anderson got the call from Swafford after Leach and his wife left town (after they looked at houses) Hathaway got the same call from Marinatto.....DO NOT HIRE THIS GUY PER ESPN our tv cash cow! That's why WSU pulled the trigger so quick...PAC-12 tv deal is with Fox they can care less. I think Leach would have listened VERY closely to a pitch from Hathaway. First and foremost he was chomping at the bit to get back into the coaching game...AND he would have been able to put it into ESPN's face year round! A lot of you talk about ESPN and conference expansion conspiracy's, this goes right along with it.

Reaction Score
Leach has no northeast recruiting ties, my guesss has no interest in signing on to a team that is unsure about its BCS qualifing future, and as a passing oriented coach would not want to walk into a situation like UConn's where he would have to completly start over at the receiver and quarterback position.

Precisely why you offer the guy. Edsall has NE recruiting ties and really couldn't recruit at the BCS level. Agree about the BCS qualifying future, but Leach would have likely put UConn in a better position to be offered elsewhere (a strong UConn football program won't then be holding back an excellent overall men's & women's athletic program). Don't agree about the QB & WR positions. First, I believe he would have gotten a lot more production out of the offensive roster this season (and had a better record). Second, QB's & WR's would find the UConn offense exciting with Leach at the helm. He knows a thing or two about playmakers.

Reaction Score
Precisely why you offer the guy. Edsall has NE recruiting ties and really couldn't recruit at the BCS level. Agree about the BCS qualifying future, but Leach would have likely put UConn in a better position to be offered elsewhere (a strong UConn football program won't then be holding back an excellent overall men's & women's athletic program). Don't agree about the QB & WR positions. First, I believe he would have gotten a lot more production out of the offensive roster this season (and had a better record). Second, QB's & WR's would find the UConn offense exciting with Leach at the helm. He knows a thing or two about playmakers.

Except he did.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It's all a moot point anyways but aren't people forgetting that this deal was made possible by the significantly increased payout being made to the Pac-12 members next year as a part of their new media contract? Without that money they wouldn't have been able to afford Leach and his likely retinue. I don't think UConn could have pulled that trigger.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Wazzu is to Pac12 as Vandy is to SEC, though it's not the best year to make that comparison.

Reaction Score
I think we could have gotten Leach. He lobbied to get any fairly major job but was considered damaged goods. He would have come to UConn for $2 million per in a heartbeat. When he started winning, we would have had to pony up, that's the big test of where UConn is willing to take football.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
When I heard about Sherman at aTm - imagine how ticked they are they can't get Leach now - he would have been a slam dunk fit there

Reaction Score
If Leach went to WSU, he would have come to UConn IMO. Other than their conference, what do they have on UConn? They do not have a track record of success other than at times in the 90's and early 2000's and haven't been to a bowl in 8 years. Their fan support is not good (average 24k in 2010) and their facilities are mediocre (35k football stadium). WA is not a hot recruiting area and the yhave to fight with their more prestegious in state rival for those recruits. Not to mention that if Storrs is considered remote, what is Pullman? It is 5+ hours from Seattle. At least at TT, Leach could take second and third tier recruits in TX who were still 3 start recruits that wanted to stay home.

Reaction Score
The thought that we could not have landed Leach last year if we wanted him is ridiculous. He just went to Wa-f'ng-Zoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom