OT: - LaVar Ball forces Adidas to replace ref mid-game, then gets ejected, AAU game called off | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: LaVar Ball forces Adidas to replace ref mid-game, then gets ejected, AAU game called off

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A personal view from a balcony. It's unfortunate that Adidas or any other shoe, athletic company or athletic governing body/organization would even think of cow-towing to Lavar (stay in your lane) Ball or anyone else who comports him/herself in this manner. I guess I'm out of touch with the global shoe marking business, and the desire of all of the major athletic shoe companies to sign his son. It's understood and acknowledged that Adidas would love to sign Lonzo to a lucrative multi-million dollar long term shoe deal. That deal would no doubt generate millions of $$$ for Adidas. What other reason would they have for acquiescing to Lavar's wishes and demands?

Their actions also smack the face of that particular female referee, and all other female referees across the country. She was more than qualified to work that game, but was replace at Ball's insistence. One day after LaVar Ball said a female referee was "not in shape" and "needs to stay in her lane," he said he had "no second thoughts" about his comments. I wonder if Nike, Under Amour, Puma or Converse would stoop that low? If they wished to stoop to Ball's wishes, they should have assigned 3 male referees to the game when game assignments were being made. Any person that's ever watched a basketball game has seem some horrendous calls, that made you shake your head in amazement.

That's part of the human element that's part of the game that has ALWAYS been there. Bad calls in basketball at any level is nothing new. Since Ball likes to pull his teams off the court if he doesn't like or get the calls he thinks he deserves, I would not invite or allow any of his teams to participate in any games my company or AAU league sponsored. If he continues to get away with this type of boorish behavior, where does it stop? :eek:

The only reason he has the notoriety he does is because of the news media. If the media had never put a microphone in his face, or a camera on him, he would still be a complete unknown like he was a year ago. The media created this monster. They continue to interview him every time he makes an appearance at a sporting event. I refuse to listen to anything he has to say (I turn the channel, or the sound down). Useless self centered egocentric rhetoric is all this spews out every time he opens his mouth. He's like Terrell Owens in that he never met a camera or microphone he didn't like.

I remember the old adage: "Better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt". When he criticized the UCLA coaches for not going further in the recent NCAA tournament because they had "too many white players" on the team. He removed ALL doubt. I'm not making that up. He actually spoke those words into a live microphone. I was done with him. Lonzo has probably received so much push back from his peers over the years, it's probably why he's so quiet, reserved and soft spoken.

tenor.gif

The only thing ball is missing when he goes out in public is a BIG red nose and a pair of size 25's. Out of respect for my daughter, my two granddaughters, and women referees around the world, I'll NEVER buy anything made by Adidas again.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So I assume I'm a bad guy if I wear my adidas shirts? :oops: :( :(

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
These summer AAU events are big college recruiting showcases. The HS players are there to be seen by college coaches. Roy Williams was at this particular event. LaVar's presence made it such a big draw they had way more spectators than they could let in the building. LeBron James tried to attend and couldn't get in. And they got an unprecedented volume of viewers on the live streams. This is why Adidas didn't want LaVar ejected from the games.

So, if you're a player on this team, it's sort of a double-edged sword. On one hand your coach's notoriety is getting you seen by a lot more eyes. But, if your team walks off and forfeits the game, then you don't get seen for the rest of the game. ??? (LaVar says he doesn't have an assistant coach, so if he is ejected then they have to forfeit.)

If your job is to recruit players, you should not be going to games just because there are lots of fans. Who cares? How can you even
assess players in such a carnival if your eyes are being turned by the crowd and the coach? If you are a good player, coaches will find you where ever you play.

Again, I cant see any benefit for the other kids to stay on that team.:confused::confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter is a certified balla!!! If we make our lays ups and free throws, it's a different outcome.

Hands claps for Russia. They played a great game. They did the things they needed to do to win this game.
Only 6 t/o in the second half. They made their layups and free throws. Bottom line, the US could not contain their BIGS.

Remember, the USA had a 6 point lead at the half, but could not hold on to it. :(

This was a great experience for team USA.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Does she wear the BBB shoes ???? :p

I don't know. I doubt it at $495 a pair. When I called her a "Balla", I was NOT referring to That kind of Balla.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Interesting take. He's not helping all his kids.

How 15-year-old LaMelo Ball became hated without saying a word

Without saying a word?!? When was that? Unfortunately, LaMelo is almost as boorish and out spoken as his father. He's nothing like Lonzo. He's good, and he knows it, and if you have a moment, he'll tell you. He'll bust a 3 in your face, then stare at you while back-peddling on defense. SMH. His on-court body language is at times is disrespectful to his opponents. I've seen him play a high school game in person. I'm saying what I saw, not what I heard or what others may have posted. LaVar was there, coaching from the stands as usual.

He reminds you a little bit of "the answer", Allen Iverson. At 6'3" (and still growing), Ball has been described as a relatively tall point guard with a long wingspan. He's quick, fearless, has some vicious handles, and can shoot the lights out. Like Stephen Curry, he'll shoot a 35' 3 point shot without giving it a second thought, or looking over at the bench. He has a green light.

He has been criticized for cherry picking, as he often waits near half court to get an open shot on his next possession instead of trying to prevent the opponent from scoring. Ball has had a 92-point game. Often he would wait (cherry pick) at the other end of the court when other team had the ball. On defensive rebounds or after a made basket, his teammates would throw the ball to him at half-court or three-quarters of the court for an easy or uncontested score. He'll be the talk of Westwood (UCLA) once he gets there. No doubt Lavar will see to that. :eek:

Reaction Score
No it won't
:rolleyes:
I disagree. It will hurt Adidas' business because it's a blatant indication that their most important goal is to sell shoes at any cost and they don't care about the integrity of the game. Replacing a ref in the middle of the game smacks of a company that has achieved too much power.

It's the parents who cough up the big bucks for shoes, and I can't believe most parents support Ball or what Adidas has done. It's the basketball version of dragging a paying passenger off a plane. A PR nightmare.

I believe the Big Balls shoes are dead. Adidas will get many letters of complaint.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Officiating group cutting ties with Adidas after replacement of female referee.

The other shoe fell after this incident..................it had to.
LAS VEGAS -- The group that supplied officials for the Adidas Uprising Summer Championships, in which LaVar Ball successfully petitioned for a female referee to be replaced after she gave him a technical foul on Friday, will terminate its five-year relationship with the sneaker company due to the incident.

"The events that led to the removal of a female official on Friday are something that shall not and will not be accepted within the officiating community," Court Club Elite, an organization that trains and develops referees at amateur and professional levels, said in its statement to ESPN. "Adidas and their leadership acted in a manner that does not parallel our views on integrity or professionalism, and neither should be compromised as they were in this situation. It was clear that the actions of the official in enforcing and addressing unsporting behavior were defendable and fitting of the behavior displayed; however, the agenda and lack of courage to do the right thing by Adidas leadership sent a clear message that the game and those chosen to protect the integrity were not of priority."

On Friday morning, LaVar Ball threatened to pull elite recruit LaMelo Ball, his son, and the rest of the Big Baller Brand AAU team from the floor after he was assigned a technical foul by a female official, the same official who gave him a technical foul in a game Wednesday. Ball yelled for Adidas officials to have her removed. They obliged and replaced her midgame with a male official, though Adidas rep Chris Rivers said the shoe giant made the decision, not Ball. Later, the contest was stopped with five minutes to play after Ball received additional technical fouls.

Earlier, ESPN reported that Adidas had pressured officials from Court Club Elite to "put three officials on the game who will keep [LaVar Ball] in the building" due to his drawing power and its interest in Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball, per a source. On Friday, ESPN reported Court Club Elite had sought an all-female crew for Big Baller Brand's Friday night game in a show of solidarity for the replaced female official, per a source, but a "compromise" for two females and one male on the crew inexplicably switched to one female official on the crew by tipoff.

After the game, Ball claimed that the female official from Friday's game was "out of shape," not qualified to officiate and desperate to make a name off him. He also claimed that she had acted as if she had something to prove as one of the few female officials in the tournament.
"This appalling story about the female referee removed during an AAU game warrants serious discussion," the National Basketball Referees Association, the union representing league officials, tweeted Sunday. "First, the misogynistic comments and intimidation by the coach have no place in basketball or anywhere. The actions by Adidas show what happens when an organization does not support those tasked with protecting the integrity of the game. We support the referee community. This offensive behavior cannot stand [and] hurts all those involved in basketball."

Ball later said that he had no regrets about his statements and denied that gender played a role in his reaction.

"It's not about me hating that lady or something like that," he told reporters on Saturday. "She just got caught in a bad place: messing with me. She's good. She's probably a great ref with the women. But this men's stuff? It's a difference between women's basketball and men's basketball. Just because we go like that and don't hit the ball don't mean it's a foul. But don't get your feelings personal."

Ed Rush, the NBA's former director of officials and founder of Court Club Elite, said the referee Adidas replaced, a woman who has not been identified, had no personal vendetta against Ball.

[Story]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without saying a word?!? When was that? Unfortunately, LaMelo is almost as boorish and out spoken as his father. He's nothing like Lonzo. He's good, and he knows it, and if you have a moment, he'll tell you. He'll bust a 3 in your face, then stare at you while back-peddling on defense. SMH. His on-court body language is at times is disrespectful to his opponents. I've seen him play a high school game in person. I'm saying what I saw, not what I heard or what others may have posted. LaVar was there, coaching from the stands as usual.

He reminds you a little bit of "the answer", Allen Iverson. At 6'3" (and still growing), Ball has been described as a relatively tall point guard with a long wingspan. He's quick, fearless, has some vicious handles, and can shoot the lights out. Like Stephen Curry, he'll shoot a 35' 3 point shot without giving it a second thought, or looking over at the bench. He has a green light.

He has been criticized for cherry picking, as he often waits near half court to get an open shot on his next possession instead of trying to prevent the opponent from scoring. Ball has had a 92-point game. Often he would wait (cherry pick) at the other end of the court when other team had the ball. On defensive rebounds or after a made basket, his teammates would throw the ball to him at half-court or three-quarters of the court for an easy or uncontested score. He'll be the talk of Westwood (UCLA) once he gets there. No doubt Lavar will see to that. :eek:

Lamelo is just a bad version of Lonzo. I think lonzo could be the next Jason Kidd, but lamelo just has no shot

Reaction Score
adidas is doing fine in Europe and elsewhere.

LaMelo shot 37%? Might as well aim for a NESCAC team in D3 for the education.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I disagree. It will hurt Adidas' business because it's a blatant indication that their most important goal is to sell shoes at any cost and they don't care about the integrity of the game. Replacing a ref in the middle of the game smacks of a company that has achieved too much power.

It's the parents who cough up the big bucks for shoes, and I can't believe most parents support Ball or what Adidas has done. It's the basketball version of dragging a paying passenger off a plane. A PR nightmare.

I believe the Big Balls shoes are dead. Adidas will get many letters of complaint.

This will be forgotten in a few months, if not sooner.

Which is worse.... what Adidas did... or Nike's use of overseas sweatshops in the past? I dont recall Nike's business suffering from that... so Adidas business wont suffer from this fiasco. I could be wrong... we will see..

Reaction Score

Which is worse.... what Adidas did... or Nike's use of overseas sweatshops in the past? I dont recall Nike's business suffering from that... so Adidas business wont suffer from this fiasco. I could be wrong... we will see..
Are you sure there are no Adidas' sweatshops oversea?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Not saying it'll hurt Adidas, but unfortunately, nobody gives a rats arse about overseas sweatshops. You'll find mountains of kids for various and sundry causes religiously tweeting on there iphones mid protest. Hasn't hurt Apple a lick.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Adidas apologizes for replacing female referee who gave LaVar Ball technical.

Adidas officials say it was "the wrong decision" to replace a female referee at a company-sponsored basketball tournament in Las Vegas after LaVar Ball complained and threatened to pull his team from the court.

"The referee substitutions made during our tournament last week are not in line with our company values," Adidas said in a statement Monday. "It was the wrong decision. We regret the situation and are looking into the matter to make sure our standards for sportsmanship, equality and fair play are met in the future."

The statement also said "any representation that we would compromise our values and inclusive approach for the benefit of any individual is inaccurate."

Ball coaches his Big Baller AAU team, which his son LaMelo plays for. After LaVar Ball received a technical foul from the referee, he threatened to have his team walk off the floor if she wasn't replaced. A male referee was then swapped in.

Ball was later ejected after a second technical foul, and the referees called the game when he refused to leave the court. Outside the arena, Ball went on a rant in which he said "she needs to stay in her lane because she ain't ready for this," among other things.

On Monday, Ball said he feels targeted by officials. "Of course I'm being unfairly targeted, but it's OK. Why wouldn't I be?" Ball told Mornings with Keyshawn, Jorge and LZ on ESPN LA 710. "They say I got a big mouth anyway. They say we bad as heck. Of course you want to try to quiet me up. That's the way I've been coaching all the time. "It's just entertainment. Instead of going to the movies, people are coming to the AAU game to watch a game."

[Story]

Reaction Score
Adidas apologizes for replacing female referee who gave LaVar Ball technical.

[Story]
While some had speculated that Adidas made the referee swap to appease Ball for potential shoe negotiations with his son Lonzo, sources said there have been no talks between the two sides since Ball asked all the big shoe companies for $1 billion for his son's rights.

==>I wouldn't pay a dime to watch the Balls family. $1 billion for his son's rights is a joke.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm getting tired of this guy already!
I was tired from day one. Unfortunately those who think he's a mere flash in the promotional pan just remember, he has two more son's to push to the market. So, that's at least 4 more years of making everything about him.

What a great example to give young players as well as his boys. If you don't like they way life is treating you throw a tantrum then just take your ball and go home.

Ah-h-h-h. Modern times.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was tired from day one. Unfortunately those who think he's a mere flash in the promotional pan just remember, he has two more son's to push to the market. So, that's at least 4 more years of making everything about him.

What a great example to give young players as well as his boys. If you don't like they way life is treating you throw a tantrum then just take your ball and go home.

Ah-h-h-h. Modern times.

His middle son isn't very good. And his young son, while he has some talent, doesn't yet have the body to be anything at all. Plus, his game is limited, in that he's far from a complete player. He's got a chance though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
His middle son isn't very good. And his young son, while he has some talent, doesn't yet have the body to be anything at all. Plus, his game is limited, in that he's far from a complete player. He's got a chance though.
And none of that means he won't promote them like they ain't the second coming of KD and LBJ.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom