Lauren Engeln is leaving too??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lauren Engeln is leaving too???

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The three incoming freshmen are top five/six national recruits. Their situation vis a vis Michala/Lauren just isn't the same. This is not an issue.
Exactly. I'm not even following this discussion at all.

Are posters actually saying Geno should have played JOhnson and Engeln more because....well...because???

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It is also possible, if not likely

I just don't see our incoming freshmen buying into cheerleader roles if they are better than returning players. (And don't forget that Morgan Tuck has hinted her reluctance to sit when/if she outperforms other players at her position on the court.)

Peace,

John Fryer

Possible, if not likely? Then why even discuss it? It's even less than likely.

And as Alex said the 3 incoming freshman are incredible talents that will get plenty of minutes. Cheerleading? Talk about less than likely.....

Reaction Score
Define "meaningful minutes". For the team, just a wild guess, but here's a possible breakdown of average minutes...

Doty 17
Hartley 24
Faris 23
KML 24
Dolson 23
Jefferson 12
Banks 12
Tuck 17
Stewart 22
Stokes 20
Buck 6

Just wild guesses but my point is freshmen should be ok with getting 10-15 minutes, and for Tuck and Stewart, closer, or even over, 20 minutes. I put Doty's minutes as less but who knows? and with Doty, Faris and Buck leaving this year, that's over 45 minutes avail for next year also. Anyway, i'm sure you could take away from some and add to others. There will be LOTS of blowout games. To me that seems like plenty of minutes for everyone. If your goal is simply to get more minutes or put up a lot of points, you won't last very long at UCONN.

i appreciate that at least you've made an attempt to respond to my question regarding a 10 player rotation. looking at the respective minutes, i think they make some sense.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
i appreciate that at least you've made an attempt to respond to my question regarding a 10 player rotation. looking at the respective minutes, i think they make some sense.
I replied earlier. Do you remember 2001-2?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Oy, I'm glad I have a very busy schedule at work.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
that team had a starting team unlike any in the history of women's basketball. i think the quality of this team 6-10 will be greater by mid-season than that team. if you don't, then there is no reason for you to consider how geno will run a 10 player rotation.
My bad. I meant the year before.

Bird,cash,jones,Ralph, Aborosimove,Williams,Schumaker,Johnson,Taurasi,battle,Valley.

Sveta missed the rest of the season after 19 game and Battle was lost after 5. But there were 11 players in double digits.

Most starts we're by jones,cash,ralph!bird and and Abrosimova. That leaves 6-10 as Taurasi,Schuie,Williams,Johnson and Battle. Every bit if not more talented than the very young bench of this years team.

geno had a max of 27 minutes and it went from there to 24.5',24',23.7',23.8',19.9',19.8,17.9,16.9,10.4,10,3.

He knows how to handle a deep and talented roster.

Reaction Score
I replied earlier. Do you remember 2001-2?

my apology. i replied to your reply, but was way off base in my reply. i just was able to look at the minutes shared by those players, with nine playing at least 13 minutes per game. this year's team is a bit different, in that previous starters will be losing minutes to freshmen. and that is a different kind of challenge.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
my apology. i replied to your reply, but was way off base in my reply. i just was able to look at the minutes shared by those players, with nine playing at least 13 minutes per game. this year's team is a bit different, in that previous starters will be losing minutes to freshmen. and that is a different kind of challenge.
Every year is a challenge. You forget that Taurasi grabbed a ton of minutes from the prior year. And I just don't see starters losing significant minutes to the freshman. I really think you have overstated these potential issues.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not worried I think Geno & Chris will find some way to work thru these problems.

Reaction Score
that team had a starting team unlike any in the history of women's basketball. i think the quality of this team 6-10 will be greater by mid-season than that team. if you don't, then there is no reason for you to consider how geno will run a 10 player rotation.
I was actually really close to that 2001-2002 team. Knew them personally. Great group. 2000-2001 had more talent in my opinion...

But I still think more players will be needed to keep those 10 fresh. Also if foul trouble comes in.... it reminds me of the 99-00 season where you could bring in Bam- Bam and Sauer for some needed moments if fouls became an issue... or you just needed to Bam Bam a player or two ;)

Reaction Score
Did you happen to watch the 2001-2 season?

Might you be referring to 2000-1? The 2002 team was an 8 deep rotation with Ashley Battle, Jessica Moore, and Maria Conlon coming off the bench.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy convinced me.
And if there would have been any grumbling from the Olympians, it would have started by now.
Seem that they are quite satisfied and Geno kept the largest par of the roster involved

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Think this discussion is a little silly - Geno will have no issues. But just one point: looking at average minutes doesn't tell the whole story. Like with the Olympic team minutes will vary widely by game - so maybe you have a bad couple of game and get only 7 minutes, but the next game you tear it up, or someone else gets quick fouls and you play 26 minutes and lead the team in some stats. You only average 13 minutes, but you feel a great sense of accomplishment.
On the Olympic team, I think Swin probably wasn't 'happy' with her contributions, but I think Asjha probably was very pleased with hers.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Might you be referring to 2000-1? The 2002 team was an 8 deep rotation with Ashley Battle, Jessica Moore, and Maria Conlon coming off the bench.
I did mean tat team and corrected it in a later post. All the great teams mush together after a while"...lol

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I guess the silver lining here is that we won't have to listen to Bob call her "Laura" anymore.

(oops, forgot about CPTV.)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Johnson and Engeln did not play much. They were not top ten recruits or consensus high school All-Americans, but they are certainly good players. UConn, however, is bringing in superstars/great players. Even with hard work, there is a limit to what Johnson and Engeln can do, and the incoming recruits are simply better (with higher ceilings). If they wanted to play more, I can certainly understand them choosing to go elsewhere.

That being said, this is not cause for panic. It is not some dire "the sky is falling" situation.

Now, if Kibitzer, doggydaddy, and icebear decided to trade their UConn Husky gear for a certain Southern orange, then you can enter full-on crisis mode!!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
What if some players don't get meaningful minutes (whatever that is) and what does that have to do with Engeln's situation? What's the risk that you see? Are you suggesting that the situations with Engeln and Johnson are relevant to the players on this year's roster?

As you can tell from my questions, I'm struggling to understand the relevance of Engeln's minutes and her transferring to this year's roster and playing time. The issue for Engeln and Michala Johnson is that they didn't believe they were likely to play meaningful minutes for the next two years and they were correct. Do you seriously think Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson don't believe they'll play meaningful minutes in their UConn careers regardless of how many they play as freshman? Stokes already played meaningful minutes as a freshman and the future looks bright for her. If Banks develops the way the coaches hope (and expect from all accounts) the opportunity will be there for her as well.

thank you

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno's rules:
Minutes are earned in the gym at practice.
Freshman as a rule do not start unless there are injuries.

Now, Engeln and Johnson are likely good players, and we hae see flashes of this, yet they did not seem able to break through the ranks of who earns the most game minutes in practice. Buck, different story - she is a big body and effective in specialty roles such as againstthe likes of Griner. We rooted for all three to do well, and we still do.
Howver, each to is own, and each made choices to their own destinies. I wish for nothing but their successes in their choices.

As to the Freshman we should not assume anything- anything, and that means the worrying as well. The season hasn't even started yet.

I will have a hard time waiting for this season to begin and when it does, I will enjoy it to the fullest.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno's handling of the Olympic team, with 12 highly skilled players, was indicative of what's in store for this season. Even in the close games, I see us wearing down our opponents by the last 5 minutes, through a combination of conditioning, and numbers.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno's rules:
Minutes are earned in the gym at practice.
Freshman as a rule do not start unless there are injuries.

Strother and Wolfe started together as freshmen, day one.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I did mean tat team and corrected it in a later post. All the great teams mush together after a while"...lol

Only our Huskies "mush" together. Lesser teams may or may not mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom