Lauren Betts to Stanford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts to Stanford

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It more about top basketball and top academics. Tara, because her mom lives in Boulder, knows Colorado well. She got Fran Belibi, the state’s best a couple of years back, because Fran is a brilliant student. Lauren Betts recognizes that of all the top 5-10 programs, Stanford is by far at the top academically.
Every student-athlete signed by Stanford in all sports is a brilliant high school student; otherwise, they wouldn't pass admissions.

Reaction Score
This team is going to be scary good for years to come and I can’t wait to watch it unfold.
About the fourth fan from the fourth different school that has posted that type of comment this year. That is what I love about recruiting all the anticipation is the same on paper. Like I said if it was that easy we would not have to play the games and just add up the stars every year. I think rarely it plays out to full form and you get lucky if it follows form down the road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait what? Tara still has to face a Loaded Oregon team twice, a tall Oregon State team, UCLA and Arizona who have more people coming in. UConn has to face...let me see, oh yeah DePaul....Don't forget after this year, Tara loses her two guards and will have to rely on Van Gytenbeek as point and probably Haley Jones at the 2. Not sure not sure I am sold on their outside shooting to open up the middle.

While I agree this years team is pretty loaded for Tara, with the right mix of upper and under classman who were all experienced to some degree, next year will be different. Two years from now, who knows, though their front line of Brink, Belibi and Prechtel is impressive, Jones at the 2 is good. Jan VG better be all as advertised out of Colorado but given what we have in both the front court and back court, I am not scared...Geno will be ahead of Tara in Games won by the end of Paiges Junior year. ;)
Pretty accurate assessment there even if some won't like it?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
but we also can keep missing out on these really good post players and keep pretending UCONN be fine.
Coco, Coco, Coco. how can you say "we also can keep missing out on really good post players"??? Who is the #1 post in 2018? Where is she playing? Who is the 2020 Canadian Player of the Year, Ontario Player of the year and Ontario Defensive Player of the year. Where is she playing? Who is the #1 post in 2021? Where did she sign? Who is the #2 post in 2022? Where did she sign? For good measure there is a delightful project who was recruited by Louisville, LSU, Boston College, North Carolina, Miami, and Tennessee.

I guess the sum total of 'really good posts' is one and we will have to be satisfied with everyone's left overs.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I doubt anyone can but it wouldn't be Betts, Fran Belibi and Haley Jones would probably draw that assignment.

Bueckers and Fudd would drool at the thought of Belibi assigned to her. Jones will get some time, but if that is all they have the tall tree is in trouble.

Reaction Score
If Betts wanted to come to UCONN I would have welcomed her. Since she decided to hang with the trees on the West Coast I want Aalyah Del Rosario. Call me greedy if you want.
I am right with you on Del Rosario, but if UConn misses on her I don't think we have to "pretend everything will be fine." With Nelson-Ododa, Edwards, DeBerry, and Brady, UConn will be able to hold their own in the Post against anybody over the next 3-4 years..

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I am right with you on Del Rosario, but if UConn misses on her I don't think we have to "pretend everything will be fine." With Nelson-Ododa, Edwards, DeBerry, and Brady, UConn will be able to hold their own in the Post against anybody over the next 3-4 years..
Wow! I didn't realize the entire future of UConn Women's basketball hinges on one high school post player. Do you know that 5 of the top 17 2022 Hoopgurlz identify as posts. In an era when most high school bigs identify a forwards. almost a third of the top 17 are posts. What about 2023 second ranked post Letycia Vasconcelos 6'7" as a sophomore. Maybe we can get her for our volleyball team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Fudd would drool at the thought of Belibi assigned to her. Jones will get some time, but if that is all they have the tall tree is in trouble.
My guess is you haven't really seen Stanford play. Brink is pretty special and Prechtel is also very good, but hey you keep whistling at the graveyard as you walk by, those sounds of earth moving is nothing to fear... :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I said before I'm greedy. I want to more than just hold my own. :D
Hungry Feed Me GIF by M&M’S Chocolate

Reaction Score
Should be some great games in future. Won't repeat the feedback to date other than I see UConn having All Stars at every position for at least several more years. Will be close with Stanford, SC and a few others having strong individual talent but I am still voting for UConn to take several championships due to shooters at every position, depth, and coaching.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, Coco, Coco. how can you say "we also can keep missing out on really good post players"??? Who is the #1 post in 2018? Where is she playing? Who is the 2020 Canadian Player of the Year, Ontario Player of the year and Ontario Defensive Player of the year. Where is she playing? Who is the #1 post in 2021? Where did she sign? Who is the #2 post in 2022? Where did she sign? For good measure there is a delightful project who was recruited by Louisville, LSU, Boston College, North Carolina, Miami, and Tennessee.

I guess the sum total of 'really good posts' is one and we will have to be satisfied with everyone's left overs.
Q: How can you say "we also can keep missing out on really good post players.
A: Because we do.
Q: Who is the #1 post in 2018? Where is she playing?
A: Charli Collier. Texas.
Q: Who is the 2020 Canadian Player of the Year, Ontario Player of the year and Ontario Defensive Player of the year. Where is she playing?
A: You are probably thinking Of Aaliyah Edwards. She is playing in the post at UCONN but she is not a post player. She was not a post player in HS or on the Canadian National team.
Q: Who is the #1 post in 2021? Where did she sign?
A: ESPN says it's Maryam Dauda. Baylor.
Q: Who is the #2 post in 2022? Where did she sign?
A: ESPN thinks it's Ice Brady. She hasn't signed anywhere yet she has made a verbal commitment to UCONN. Brady has great potential. BTW 3 years ago at this same time that #1 post in the class of 2018 you were asking about had also made a verbal commitment to UCONN.
C: For good measure there is a delightful project....
R: This is UCONN and a thread about Lauren Betts #1 Post in class of 2022. Projects are not going to get UCONN #12. Better post play will.

Reaction Score
Q: Who is the 2020 Canadian Player of the Year, Ontario Player of the year and Ontario Defensive Player of the year. Where is she playing?
A: You are probably thinking Of Aaliyah Edwards. She is playing in the post at UCONN but she is not a post player. She was not a post player in HS or on the Canadian National team.
A: ESPN thinks it's Ice Brady. She hasn't signed anywhere yet she has made a verbal commitment to UCONN. Brady has great potential. BTW 3 years ago at this same time that #1 post in the class of 2018 you were asking about had also made a verbal commitment to UCONN.
R: This is UCONN and a thread about Lauren Betts #1 Post in class of 2022. Projects are not going to get UCONN #12. Better post play will.
Gee Coco if I didn't know any better you are starting to sound like me!! As long as UConn keeps getting skilled and mobile 6'3"-6'4" forwards I can live without a less mobile battle ship in the middle..........it's having to match a 5'11" guard/wing on a 6'5" post that was driving me crazy.......

Reaction Score
First, congrats to Lauren on choosing Stanford: great school, great coach, and great program! They are going to be a lot of fun to watch over the next few years! ☺️ ?

And every time I read a "player commitment" thread, I'm reminded of the lyrics in Soak Up the Sun by Sheryl Crow:

"It's not having what you want... It's wanting what you've got."

And while it would be fantastic to land all of these terrific student athletes, I couldn't be happier with OUR team: Past, present, and future ;) ?

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Every student-athlete signed by Stanford in all sports is a brilliant high school student; otherwise, they wouldn't pass admissions.
It's interesting that Stanford never went away, its been here all along. But for some reason, it has become attractive and fashionable again. Tara is recruiting (getting commitments) top elite athletes again. As other posters have mentioned, Tara can't get some of the players she would like to have, because they can't qualify to get in to Stanford. Tara recruits with one hand tied behind her back.

Stanford has ALWAYS put a very high premium on academics. ALL of their athletic programs operate under the same "rules of engagement". No one slips in the back door. If you're an athlete, you MUST qualify academically first. If not, they move on the the next player of interest.

Unfortunately not all of the top 100 athletes in the various rating services are top academic scholars. Some of them are "C" students at best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dad easily hits the 7' mark... Where did he ball out at I wonder?
An earlier post stated he played in Europe. With her parents being so tall and being athletes I’m sure she was always around the game. In contrast a player like 6’7” T McCowan didn’t play basketball until eighth grade. She wanted to be in fashion. Further her mom and dad are 5’6” and 5’7” respectively. It’s funny how it all works out.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Coco, far be it for me to hijack your thread but what about Amari DeBerry who at 6'5" is a post and has committed? Also, at one time, Hannah Gusters was a top post prospect and a UConn target, have you seen her at Baylor this year---:eek:
Lauren was/is very talented but she's not a generational type player. Would she have been a big help? Of course but she doesn't make Stanford the guaranteed #1 team everyone should fear.
So, I would say we are getting bigs, and certainly more than 2015-2018, just not an overabundance of bigs.

I hear ya to a degree but not to the level of the aforementioned time period where we are not having anyone to help Gabby, KLS or Pheesa definitely cost us a title opportunity.

Cheer up, the cup is half full!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's interesting that Stanford never went away, its been here all along. But for some reason, it has become attractive and fashionable again.
Yeah, it's interesting. They've had a few "lulls" by their standards. Now the talent level is steadily increasing again. Could they be heading for another period like they had starting in '08? 6 F4s in 7 years and 7 in 10 years.

Reaction Score
I think you should watch more Edwards high school film. Yes she technically played the 4 but Lattimore who played the 5 was foul prone. I watched film from about 5 games and typically by the 4-5 minute mark Lattimore would have 2 fouls, on the bench, and Edwards was the 5 the rest of the half. Then she would play a lot of 5 in the second half as Lattimore would get her 3rd and 4th foul... Her game is made perfect for being a post at UConn. Let's remember the 2002 starting line up didn't have a player over 6' 2" and they were pretty good....

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Hey @CocoHusky, I think someone has hacked your account. They are posting a bunch of stupid stuff under your name. Perhaps the mods can help you out.

Aaliyah Edwards is by any definition a post player. She plays the 4. The fact that in high school she was the best player on her team and played all 5 positions does not change her position in college.

Who is the #1 post in 2021;
Charlie Collier would be playing at Connecticut if not for a hurricane that made her fearful of being with her parents. The fact that she chose UConn means UConn recruiting did not fail on her but an act of God intervened.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
My guess is you haven't really seen Stanford play. Brink is pretty special and Prechtel is also very good, but hey you keep whistling at the graveyard as you walk by, those sounds of earth moving is nothing to fear... :rolleyes:
Maybe we can set up a half court 2-on-2. You set the bet. I'll take Paige and Azzi and you can take any two Stanford players on their roster next year. You want some of that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you should watch more Edwards high school film. Yes she technically played the 4 but Lattimore who played the 5 was foul prone. I watched film from about 5 games and typically by the 4-5 minute mark Lattimore would have 2 fouls, on the bench, and Edwards was the 5 the rest of the half. Then she would play a lot of 5 in the second half as Lattimore would get her 3rd and 4th foul... Her game is made perfect for being a post at UConn. Let's remember the 2002 starting line up didn't have a player over 6' 2" and they were pretty good....
Thanks to @Sluconn Husky and another poster who briefly joined the BY I've watched many Edwards high school games and highlights. Edwards has good/great post skill but her best skills are facing the basket, using the bounce, running the floor and as a perimeter defender. The failings of Lattimore does not fundamentally change Aaliyah skill set no more than her current role (backing up ONO) in the post. For her size Edwards is a world class perimeter defender- unfortunately UCONN will not get to see that until next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom