Lauren Betts is the #1 Ranked Recruit in the 2022 class according to ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts is the #1 Ranked Recruit in the 2022 class according to ESPN

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think this thread was meant to be more of a joke about the Fudd obsession finally being over and now needing a new prospect to talk endlessly about. I could be wrong, but that’s what I took from the original post.

Yeah!!!! Kinda like some "comic" relief. :cool: We all need to exhale, and take several deep breaths, cause I think we're about ready to jump right back into the fray targeting 6-7 post Lauren Betts (Centennial, Colorado) as our next absolutely positively "must have" target.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Happy for the four "all killer no filler" 2021 recruits that signed their LOI's, and grateful for 2022 top 3 post Isuneh Brady's verbal. They are all going to be so fun to watch!

How many more recruits will Geno target to bring in from the class of 2022 besides Brady? I'm guessing 2 more. IMO, a class of 3 for 2022 would be perfect. If Evina does not leave after this year, Geno will have a roster of 15 players.

We have 11 now. If no one leaves and 4 more come in, that's 15. He will have 4 scholarships available (unless he awards one to Autumn) for the 2022 class. ONO, Christyn and Evina will be gone after next season. Does he want to carry that many? Playing time may be scarce for those on the end of the bench with a roster that size.

Reaction Score
So soon she will be she who shall not be named? :)
Rocky, that is a great post. I'd love to keep track of the number of posts she will engender compared to she who was finally named but not sure if even a super computer could do that.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That might be the most prophetic post I've ever read the Boneyard.

With Azzi now signed, sealed and delivered, UConn can now turn its attention to Lauren Betts. It's rumored that the women's basketball office mailed this poster to Betts this week to hang in her room as a constant reminder that...........

1605388018862.png

I wonder if there's any truth to it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She could be a day one starter at center for the Irish.
Yeah I understand that. If she chose UConn she would have to wait a couple of weeks into the season before she would start. By the time she gets here Piath could be a very effective wide body in the lane and then there is the #2 post in the class who has a reputation for physically dominating the post.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
How many more recruits will Geno target to bring in from the class of 2022 besides Brady? I'm guessing 2 more. IMO, a class of 3 for 2022 would be perfect. If Evina does not leave after this year, Geno will have a roster of 15 players.

We have 11 now. If no one leaves and 4 more come in, that's 15. He will have 4 scholarships available (unless he awards one to Autumn) for the 2022 class. ONO, Christyn and Evina will be gone after next season. Does he want to carry that many? Playing time may be scarce for those on the end of the bench with a roster that size.
Don't forget Kiki! We are going to need a point in the 22 class.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I bet she ends up at Stanford, Baylor or SC.

UCONN's roster is already loaded and they have Deberry coming a year earlier who fills a similar need. Plus Gabriel, Edwards and Brady. If she picks UCONN, my guess is PT issues will emerge.

She seems like a more traditional big back to the basket post player which we don't usually see at UCONN.

Baylor is basically big girl U and does great with big back to the basket posts. Same with Dawn at SC, and personnel wise I think she fits in well with SC better than UCONN since they need posts and have very good guards on deck for 2021.

Stanford usually has a good shot of landing anyone who qualifies academically so my guess is they're a finalist, especially if Betts is academically oriented.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

UCONN's roster is already loaded and they have Deberry coming a year earlier who fills a similar need. Plus Gabriel, Edwards and Brady. If she picks UCONN, my guess is PT issues will emerge.

She seems like a more traditional big back to the basket post player which we don't usually see at UCONN.

Baylor is basically big girl U and does great with big back to the basket posts. Same with Dawn at SC, and personnel wise I think she fits in well with SC better than UCONN since they need posts and have very good guards on deck for 2021.

Stanford usually has a good shot of landing anyone who qualifies academically so my guess is they're a finalist, especially if Betts is academically oriented.

I'm not betting on Betts--see what I did there--coming to UConn, but she and DeBerry are very different players. DeBerry's skill set is more Azura Stevens. She's more of a 3/4 while Betts is a clearly a 5.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I think this thread was meant to be more of a joke about the Fudd obsession finally being over and now needing a new prospect to talk endlessly about. I could be wrong, but that’s what I took from the original post.
Lol, It was absolutely meant as a joke and social commentary about us (me included) rather that an on-court recruitment statement.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm not betting on Betts--see what I did there--coming to UConn, but she and DeBerry are very different players. DeBerry's skill set is more Azura Stevens. She's more of a 3/4 while Betts is a clearly a 5.

Guessing Geno is going to use her as a center as you already have Edwards/Brady to fill the PF role. At any rate, a couple of highly touted kids will ride the pine for a year or two if Betts comes too.

Reaction Score

PT issues emerging is not an issue at all. You take the very best players...as many as you can get and let the chips fall where they may. If girls leave they leave

Reaction Score
Paige is quietly becoming one of our best and most effective recruiters. :)
Maybe directly from personal recruiting, but also indirectly since she is such a good passer, and most everyone would love to play with her, and Nika for that matter. Is it a coincidence that after a year of recruiting two exceptional passers, that it is followed by a year of recruiting exceptional shooters? Maybe not!

Reaction Score
Don't forget Kiki! We are going to need a point in the 22 class.
JMO, but I don't see any top PGs wanting to sit one season and gamble on both Bueckers and Muhl leaving early the following year before getting a full time job. Might be able to get a top one out of the '23 class.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
PT issues emerging is not an issue at all. You take the very best players...as many as you can get and let the chips fall where they may. If girls leave they leave

Making a bold assumption that no one transfers, by Betts freshman year she'll be competing for PT with Edwards, Brady, Deberry and Gabriel. 5 players competing for essentially 2 spots on the court. Deberry, Brady and Betts are top 5 recruits and Edwards/Gabriel will be upperclassmen. These players are all together for 2 years, meaning you'll very likely have at least two of those players playing under 15mpg for 2 seasons which doesn't fly for most highly touted recruits.

One area where UCONN has been more successful than other top programs is keeping their top 5-10 kids from transferring. Geno usually sets up his rosters so these kids take on spark plug roles as freshmen before blossoming as sophomores in starting roles. Adding in Betts creates a logjam that isnt commonly seen at Connecticut in terms of so many highly touted kids competing for limited playing time. More often than not, top kids go to schools where there is likely a slot for them to contribute in the first year and take on a larger role by year 2. Kids who don't map this out and get beat out or ride the pine for a year or two often transfer. UCONN isnt immune to this and my bet is it happens should Betts pick Storrs, but it's also a reason why I dont think she picks UCONN.

Betts may see the presence of Edwards, Deberry and Brady as deterrents for playing time. It could encourage her to go to a school where she's more likely to make an impact from day one or atleast be a starter by year 2, and that isn't likely the case at UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guessing Geno is going to use her as a center as you already have Edwards/Brady to fill the PF role. At any rate, a couple of highly touted kids will ride the pine for a year or two if Betts comes too.
I agree. DeBerry isn't very physical nor strong right now and she'll need to be to be a force inside defensively. She may be able to play a Dolson type role passing and picking/popping from the high post. Brady can go both high and low.

Reaction Score
Of course UCONN and everyone would love to land her, but Betts may see the presence of Edwards, Deberry and Brady as deterrents for playing time. It could encourage her to go to a school where she's more likely to make an impact from day one or atleast be a starter by year 2, and that isn't likely the case at UCONN.
Suspect Geno will be selling the idea of how good Betts would get after practice against top players. Few other teams would be able to provide this level of competition every day.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't see Betts going to UConn. UConn's roster is pretty well stacked and Geno hasn't typically featured a super-tall center as of late anyway.

Western schools like Baylor and Stanford do make a lot of sense as the favorites.

I'm sure Ivey is trying to work her magic on Betts. She could be a day one starter at center for the Irish. I can only hope that she appreciated all the post entry passes from Miles and Citron while playing for USAB.

This one will be interesting. Lauren keeps a pretty low profile on social media. I doubt she will tip her hand too much.

I feel like we knew Azzi would choose UConn about two years before Azzi knew it. Might be more drama with Lauren.

That's a possibility, but..................you won't catch any fish if you don't put your line in the water. You have nothing to lose by your line being in the water. Who knows, you might get lucky. :cool:

Reaction Score
JMO, but I don't see any top PGs wanting to sit one season and gamble on both Bueckers and Muhl leaving early the following year before getting a full time job. Might be able to get a top one out of the '23 class.
I agree, the 22 class may be too early for a top ranked PG. You could argue we don't need a point guard for 4 years, and then will need two. Or one year earlier with a recruit willing to learn for a year. I think the two potential 2022 recruits most affected by Azzi's decision are Rice and Bransford.

In the little I have seen of Rice she may be classified as a PG, but she has decent size, and looked like she could board and defend, perhaps being more like a Westbrook that could play 1-3. If Azzi didn't come here and Rice did, I think Kiki's minutes would have come more at the 2, and some at the 3. Many minutes at point guard were probably not in the cards for her. With Azzi's arrival the same may be true at the 2.

Bransford sounds more like a tough, physical, penetrating 2. That might be a different skill set that could be a change of pace from Azzi, but because of Azzi her prospects are diminished greatly as well in my opinion.

Reaction Score
My guess is that being from Colorado that Oregon might have a great appeal. And the Swoosh will be doing everything they can to recruit her.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
That is a question I have.. PG in 22 or 23? What say the boneyard?
I don't understand the debate. It's like the farmer who said, "I'm not going to harvest my crop this year because I think I'll do better next year." If Kiki will come, who's going to say, "No. Sorry we are waiting for a 2023." (That will only happen if Geno lets @Dillon77 or @triaddukefan answer the phone.) It would be great for her to serve under Paige/Nika and take the reins later. Several people talking about Betts competing for playing time with Edwards and DeBerry. Edwards is a 4 and Deberry is very mobile with mid-range shooting to play the 4. The other posts are Piath and Ice. Who knows how Piath is going to develop. Perhaps she has a Natalie Butler year. that would leave Betts to share the post with Ice. 10 players 200 minutes = 20 minutes each. No playing time problem for routine games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom