Latest Updated Athletic District Configuration | The Boneyard

Latest Updated Athletic District Configuration

Reaction Score
Just a little more field orientation tweaking...
1544840482650.png

Reaction Score
Just a little more field orientation tweaking...
View attachment 37402

Are those men's or women's lax field markings on the soccer game and practice fields. They could also really use a second soccer practice field behind the 3rd base line of the softball field as their are two soccer programs (and hopefully one day there will be two lax programs).

Reaction Score

Overall, looks and sounds good. Beyond the lack of a second practice field, which would really only impact things if UConn added men's lax in the future, is the reduction in the soccer's stadium capacity to 4,000 (expandable to 4,700) from the original proposal for 5,500 and the current stadium's 5,100 capacity. That said, it should not be a problem with UConn averaging 3,500 per game in 2017 (#1 in the NCAA).

I did tell my oldest son that UConn is getting ready for him to play for their baseball team. His second position on his team is catching and he had his first experience on a turf field last summer in a tournament in Jersey. Home plate was made out of a solid rubber block and the batter's box area was a rubber mat instead of dirt. it drove his nuts. He's not impressed, LOL.

Reaction Score
Looks like the baseball facility is hiding a bit more behind the ice rink than it did before. Still, not much of a change.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Overall, looks and sounds good. Beyond the lack of a second practice field, which would really only impact things if UConn added men's lax in the future, is the reduction in the soccer's stadium capacity to 4,000 (expandable to 4,700) from the original proposal for 5,500 and the current stadium's 5,100 capacity. That said, it should not be a problem with UConn averaging 3,500 per game in 2017 (#1 in the NCAA).

I did tell my oldest son that UConn is getting ready for him to play for their baseball team. His second position on his team is catching and he had his first experience on a turf field last summer in a tournament in Jersey. Home plate was made out of a solid rubber block and the batter's box area was a rubber mat instead of dirt. it drove his nuts. He's not impressed, LOL.
Unfortunately plowable rubber fields are a necessity when you try to play baseball in Connecticut in early March. The team has lost more homes games being cancelled to snow than I can recall.

Reaction Score

Many college baseball teams, especially in the northeast, have been moving towards turf fields when they renovate their facilities. UConn is just the latest to make the move. It's the facing of reality in trying to play baseball in the early spring in the northeast. Anyone who wants to play college baseball for a northern team will have to get used to this new reality, as it is certainly spreading.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately plowable rubber fields are a necessity when you try to play baseball in Connecticut in early March. The team has lost more homes games being cancelled to snow than I can recall.

I know. Even high schools are moving toward turf fields for baseball, though due to economics, they use 'brown' turf for the infield. College are typically using turf to replace the infield and outfield grass with a dirt diamond and pitching mound (I believe some even have a heating element under the dirt).

Reaction Score
P. 40-42 (budget): Insightful in general, but the following caught my eye:

"The project includes a new Performance Center, approximately 50,000 sf, which consists of new team and coach locker rooms, coaches’ offices, equipment room, strength and conditioning, athletic training, hydro-therapy pools, conference room, video room and associated support spaces. This project also includes a new multi-purpose field that supports both Athletics and the Student Recreation departments. This new field will support activities such as lacrosse, soccer, and other club sports."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Before any line drives down the new baseball stadium's left field line, sure hope bullet proof glass is installed in the doors or windows. I jest, but not too much ...

Reaction Score
Before any line drives down the new baseball stadium's left field line, sure hope bullet proof glass is installed in the doors or windows. I jest, but not too much ...

Its Connecticut, what do you think they will do :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom