Latest High-Post Hoops Mock Draft has Crystal at #4 | The Boneyard

Latest High-Post Hoops Mock Draft has Crystal at #4

Reaction Score

"4. Atlanta Dream select Crystal Dangerfield, 5'5 G, Connecticut

The league’s least-efficient offense in 2019 could see itself transformed with an infusion of Crystal Dangerfield’s best skills — a point guard who has led her team to three straight Final Fours, saw her assist rate jump dramatically in 2018-19, from 19 to 26.9 percent, and continues to hit threes at an elevated rate while showing the range to take them anywhere on the floor. Her small stature means that range matters at the next level all the more, and her ability to get to the rim produces free throw opportunities, a big deal for someone who shot 92.4 percent from there in 2018-19. As understudy for Renee Montgomery, or even playing alongside her, Dangerfield provides plenty of necessary shooting help for Nicki Collen."
--
A few other notes:
- He has Cox going #1 over Ionescu.
- He dropped Kaila Charles to #11 because "multiple WNBA talent evaluators acknowledged the limited upside she has if she doesn’t figure out how to start making perimeter shots. She shot 1-for-14 from three last year, and someone who is going to need to make her living as a 2/3 in the league needs more range than that."
- Pivec at #6 is very high/interesting, so is Laksa at #9.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
No chance that Cox is going ahead of Ionescu.
Megdal seemed to justify that prediction in large part based on Indiana having a more backcourt than frontcourt (though I'm not entirely sure I even agree with that). That being said, given Cox's health issues, she seems like a risky use of a number one pick, because the W's season is shorter and more intense than NCAAW, with fewer recovery periods, and much more travel, none of which suits Cox's chronic condition.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
- Pivec at #6 is very high/interesting, so is Laksa at #9.

Wow. I'm a big fan of Pivec, but I've always figured she was a marginal WNBA prospect. Projected at #6 in the next draft is surprising to me. Maybe they'll turn the corner eventually, but so far Rueck's players have not fared well in the W. Weisner and Hamblin didn't stick, Wiese and Gulich haven't made much impact.

Is it just me or does it seem like it's a stretch to be projecting the draft order at this point? Still some games to go and a lot of teams packed fairly close together.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No chance that Cox is going ahead of Ionescu.
Depends on need and who drafts 1st. If a team has a solid group of guards and needs a BIG, there are a number of WNBA GM’s that would take Cox over Ionescu. In addition, as great as Ionescu is as a college player, very likely the NPOY, I cannot help but wonder if she won’t turn out to be another Kelsey Plum at the next level. While Plum has become a solid pro, she has yet to justify her status as the #1 pick in the 2017 draft.

Reaction Score
Megdal seemed to justify that prediction in large part based on Indiana having a more backcourt than frontcourt (though I'm not entirely sure I even agree with that). That being said, given Cox's health issues, she seems like a risky use of a number one pick, because the W's season is shorter and more intense than NCAAW, with fewer recovery periods, and much more travel, none of which suits Cox's chronic condition.

What health issues? She missed 2 games in 3 years due to "Health Issues"

Reaction Score
I assume your question is rhetorical because if you know anything about Cox you know she has Type 1 Diabetes, which presents significant complications for top athletes.

For example, she played very few minutes when Baylor came to Stanford, and afterwards my understanding was that she was feeling low energy and under weather as a result of it. A quick skim of this Baylor forum seems to hint at that as well. Maybe that was a fluke game, and I could be misremembering, but as it's one of the only games I saw from her this season, my impression was that it could crop up at any time.
I was under the impression that Cox is a diabetic that is undergoing unique treatment, but could be mistaken. I understood that she has a continuous glucose monitoring system (24/7) and an insulin pump (also 24/7) combination. With this type of system, her diabetes would be very well maintained and would have very little impact on her performance. Oh, I am also an insulin dependent diabetic so I do know a little about it. And I have been diabetic way longer than Lauren has been alive.

Reaction Score
I assume your question is rhetorical because if you know anything about Cox you know she has Type 1 Diabetes, which presents significant complications for top athletes.

For example, she played very few minutes when Baylor came to Stanford, and afterwards my understanding was that she was feeling low energy and under weather as a result of it. A quick skim of this Baylor forum seems to hint at that as well. Maybe that was a fluke game, and I could be misremembering, but as it's one of the only games I saw from her this season, my impression was that it could crop up at any time.

Yes that was one of two games. So her having missed 2 games in 3 seasons due to her Type 1 Diabetes isn't a reason for concern. I think that is actually really good. The pump constantly keeps her regulated. So is missing 2 games in 3 seasons really a cause for concern?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The league has not set the order of the draft, but IF Indiana ends up with the 1st pick, and they want Cox instead, I would think they would trade down 1 spot to whoever has the 2nd pick. I bet they could get something for it.

Or take Sabrina and trade any guards away they want to.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wrong about what? That not everyone shares my skepticism that her body will handle league play at the level it's demanded 100 percent of the time? You can say my skepticism isn't warranted, and that I'm picking on a small sample of games. But in two of the three I saw, she wasn't able to stay on the floor the whole game. Until she actually plays in the league, I'm not sure how I can be "wrong." and quite frankly, I'd be delighted to be, as she's an exceptionally likeable player with a terrific game.

First of all, you quoted my post before I thought better of it and deleted. My initial drafts are often very rude and then I come to sanity and delete them. Sorry about that.

That being said...

She is 109/110 in terms of games played in her Baylor career. Now, the game she missed was because she was briefly hospitalized with diabetes complications. So obviously it's something that requires constant monitoring and attention but she isn't regularly missing games and when she does play it's generally at a high level.

I just think you are putting too much stock into the games you watched. If someone can play 109/110 games and play as well as Lauren Cox does, I think they have their health well under control. Even if it requires a bit more monitoring than the average player.

The obvious comp for me is EDD who has a missed numerous games with Lyme complications. Still, I think that is a worry that any team would be glad to have. Now Cox probably isn't as good as EDD but her condition is a lot easier to treat.

I also think that it doesn't make sense to hold the freak knee injury from the ND game against her. But we'll obviously see this season how well she recovers from that.

Reaction Score
First of all, you quoted my post before I thought better of it and deleted. My initial drafts are often very rude and then I come to sanity and delete them. Sorry about that.

That being said...

She is 109/110 in terms of games played in her Baylor career. Now, the game she missed was because she was briefly hospitalized with diabetes complications. So obviously it's something that requires constant monitoring and attention but she isn't regularly missing games and when she does play it's generally at a high level.

I just think you are putting too much stock into the games you watched. If someone can play 109/110 games and play as well as Lauren Cox does, I think they have their health well under control. Even if it requires a bit more monitoring than the average player.

The obvious comp for me is EDD who has a missed numerous games with Lyme complications. Still, I think that is a worry that any team would be glad to have. Now Cox probably isn't as good as EDD but her condition is a lot easier to treat.

I also think that it doesn't make sense to hold the freak knee injury from the ND game against her. But we'll obviously see this season how well she recovers from that.

She is already out of a brace and training at 100%. It was just a sprain and hyperextension. I just think someone wants to make a big deal that ought to actually be applauded. She is showing others that just because you have T1D you can still do whatever you want to and at whatever level.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In my book, Cox/Ionescu is a no-lose situation. I think there are teams salivating about the lottery.

Yes, Ionescu gets a lot of press and will put a lot of fannies in the seats. But Cox is a great defender and exceptional passer for a big. And as has been pointed out, they're both very likable.

The one that jumped out to me is Joyner Holmes being in the first round. Unless she's better as a senior than she was as a freshman, I'm not seeing her going in the first round.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In my book, Cox/Ionescu is a no-lose situation. I think there are teams salivating about the lottery.

Yes, Ionescu gets a lot of press and will put a lot of fannies in the seats. But Cox is a great defender and exceptional passer for a big. And as has been pointed out, they're both very likable.

The one that jumped out to me is Joyner Holmes being in the first round. Unless she's better as a senior than she was as a freshman, I'm not seeing her going in the first round.
I agree with everything you say, I just happen to think the WNBA has more “Lauren Cox” type players and she will not be anything special whereas Sabrina is a Unicorn who, IMO will be special as a triple threat every time she’s on the court. Her outside shooting could use a little improvement but...:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom