Latest Herbst statement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Latest Herbst statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It was well written. She said what was needed to be said and did not try hide the fact that we are in a tough spot. I finally feel someone understands my pain and anxiety at UConn.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else feel guilty ripping the program and it's future? I sure do. I guess we should stop letting emotion get the best of us.

If UConn's most rabid fan base is down on the university........

I think her point is if you do things the right way, in the end, it always works out just fine.

I think the comment about the media chatter is directed towardS ESPN. I hope it is a subtle way of telling ESPN to STFU.

I don't think I ripped the program and the school. I ripped the passive posture of the leadership however.

We are taking a beating, I have never seen this school slandered with so much bogus criticism.

I wish they knew how to bite back meaningfully.

Reaction Score
I don't think I ripped the program and the school. I ripped the passive posture of the leadership however.

We are taking a beating, I have never seen this school slandered with so much bogus criticism.

I wish they knew how to bite back meaningfully.
They proved you and everyone else wrong. I know they can succeed with the hand of cards we have. We reached "public Ivy" status with our previous administrators and people here rip them.

Reaction Score
She dropped an atomic hint. No other conference cares about this stuff, including the ACC-heck they just added Louisville. This email is addressed specifically at our angst. She wouldn't have put this in. Every word in the statement is there for a reason. Do you think for a moment that she is not aware of the significance of those two themes-research/flagship.

I think that reading between the lines like that is a bit of a reach.

Reaction Score
They proved you and everyone else wrong. I know they can succeed with the hand of cards we have.

What? Me and everyone else how? Going on NPR doesn't prove anything. It's nice and all but it didn't prove anything.

I wish that aggresiveness would accompany the optimism.

Reaction Score
What? Me and everyone else how? Going on NPR doesn't prove anything. It's nice and all but it didn't prove anything.

I wish that aggresiveness would accompany the optimism.
You think you can't "read into" what was said. C'mon, look at how we are positioned, academically and athletically. This is common sense, really.

Reaction Score
You stick with your wackjob conspiracy theory. Either they deliver the baby or they don't.
You stick to your wackjob pessimism. We're on the B1G's radar. I didn't say anything about any conspiracy either. Basic logic.

Reaction Score
You think you can't "read into" what was said. C'mon, look at how we are positioned, academically and athletically. This is common sense, really.

How are we positioned? The position hasn't changed since three weeks ago, if anything it is more precarious.

Reaction Score
How are we positioned? The position hasn't changed since three weeks ago, if anything it is more precarious.
Nevermind. Please, just continue complaining.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this puts to rest the idea that SH has no interest in athletics. SH is doing everything she can to get UConn a seat at the table with all the big boys. The first step to getting our B1G goal is to get AAU status. We all know UConn lacks the football tradition at this moment and in order to sell UConn to the B1G we need to first get into the AAU. Outside of Football UConn would elevate the sports of the B1G from obviously basketball, soccer, baseball, track n field, etc. However the problem is football as we all know drives the bus and UConn is lacking there. To get us in SH is first getting every other aspect of this University in line with other B1G schoools. Then in the near future Delany can go to the other Presidents and say "UConn might not be the football school we all want now but they are a fit in every other aspect, bring a solid market and fan base. Nobody thought they could build a basketball powerhouse but they did and there is no reason football eventually with the right investments wont follow suit"

If you look at SH bio, she has degrees from Duke and USC. Worked at Northwestern and oversaw the University System of Georgia which includes the University of Georgia. To think that she doesn't understand the importance of major athletics to a University is insane. Unfortunately her predecessors didn't leave the school in a good enough position to play with the B1G boys and now she has to first make up ground before putting UConn where it belongs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This hit everything short of we're leaving. Yes, #begharder has hit her radar as does the general despair over the thought of being stuck. There were clearly code words being delivered.

Doubt we have a B1G invite in the bag, but it is clear her goal is to join it or at least make UConn a B1G style University. Which in itself would be an accomplishment.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Butchy, your devoted optimism is wonderful, but collectively we need to acknowledge and address that that is not the general perception of our program outside of this region. We know we have a lot to contribute for a lot of reasons, but we aren't the problem. Herbst at least acknowledged that there are folks spreading misinformation about us to damage us. Good first step. Now lets tackle it head on.

Reaction Score
Butchy, your devoted optimism is wonderful, but collectively we need to acknowledge and address that that is not the general perception of our program outside of this region. We know we have a lot to contribute for a lot of reasons, but we aren't the problem. Herbst at least acknowledged that there are folks spreading misinformation about us to damage us. Good first step. Now lets tackle it head on.
I am well aware of that. Having our fans be more immature than kids doesn't help.

Personally, I am VERY glad I went to UConn and graduated from there. It was the only school I applied to. And that was before we won any championship in basketball. It is very easy to communicate with other fanbases and tell them what we really have. They'll listen. I've ventured onto B1G message boards and posted some stuff. Had to be done. Not everyone has a problem with us. There are people who are cool with us in B1G fanbases.

Reaction Score

It's better to let the pros be optimistic and aggressive. I'll remain realistic.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this puts to rest the idea that SH has no interest in athletics. SH is doing everything she can to get UConn a seat at the table with all the big boys. The first step to getting our B1G goal is to get AAU status. We all know UConn lacks the football tradition at this moment and in order to sell UConn to the B1G we need to first get into the AAU. Outside of Football UConn would elevate the sports of the B1G from obviously basketball, soccer, baseball, track n field, etc. However the problem is football as we all know drives the bus and UConn is lacking there. To get us in SH is first getting every other aspect of this University in line with other B1G schoools. Then in the near future Delany can go to the other Presidents and say "UConn might not be the football school we all want now but they are a fit in every other aspect, bring a solid market and fan base. Nobody thought they could build a basketball powerhouse but they did and there is no reason football eventually with the right investments wont follow suit"

If you look at SH bio, she has degrees from Duke and USC. Worked at Northwestern and oversaw the University System of Georgia which includes the University of Georgia. To think that she doesn't understand the importance of major athletics to a University is insane. Unfortunately her predecessors didn't leave the school in a good enough position to play with the B1G boys and now she has to first make up ground before putting UConn where it belongs.

You left out UAlbany.

Reaction Score
Like it. Keep putting the academics together with research and pushing in sports and good things will happen. Fast as I would like, hardly, but just like any goal; decide how to get there and do all the things it takes and next time you look up you'll be a lot closer.
Tough to get as worked up on this conference stuff as was a few weeks ago, SH is really hard to get off my mind. Can't think of a way to help other than donating, hope it helps in some small way.

Reaction Score
I thought SH statement was EXCELLENT.

This is largely out-of-our-control. Sorry to state that. The "Beg Harder" crew ("we need not beg, plead, nor despair") needs to understand that; even with hard work, this might take awhile. But ... WE do have a strong future. WE are National Champions in major sports & we can pull that Football Program to a higher level. This Cartel of Money has major issues that will sort itself through. Personally, I simply cannot believe that OUR market/OUR Northeast is left out of the whole equation excepting BC, RU & that rundown city in CNY.

We just need to keep striving. (and it would be nice if Warde Manual proved that he had the ability that was stated upon getting hired) And .. I guess I don't understand why we have to put up with the loud people around here that use words like "dire" & catastrophic". Optimism is good. Remember what Calhoun said when he arrived ... "this is doable".

caw

Reaction Score
This hit everything short of we're leaving. Yes, #begharder has hit her radar as does the general despair over the thought of being stuck. There were clearly code words being delivered.

Doubt we have a B1G invite in the bag, but it is clear her goal is to join it or at least make UConn a B1G style University. Which in itself would be an accomplishment.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. I don't think UConn has a B1G invite but is on the radar. I do think UConn is trying to position itself to get one. The ACC isn't coming, they base their invites on insecurity. The B1G has shown they base invites on logic, it's really the only road left for UConn and it's not going to be easy.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I don't think UConn has a B1G invite but is on the radar. I do think UConn is trying to position itself to get one. The ACC isn't coming, they base their invites on insecurity. The B1G has shown they base invites on logic, it's really the only road left for UConn and it's not going to be easy.

AAU membership is a must for UConn to have a shot at the B1G. I believe the only school without AAU membership is Nebraska but they did have it when first accepted. The lack of a huge football tradition and reputation hurts UConn which in turn makes being apart of the AAU a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom