Latest Herbst statement | The Boneyard

Latest Herbst statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very well stated and assuring. I wish I had read that prior to the npr interview. My only problem is with the 3rd to last paragraph. Why does she do that if there's no hope for big 10. Is she really under the impresion that athletics fans give a hoot about whether uconn is a research university or a liberal arts jesuit private? Is there something more there?

Reaction Score
"I know that it is difficult to read much of the internet content right now about athletics, which seems to be dominated by negativity. Many bloggers, journalists, and even fans from elsewhere would like to see UConn hurt, and hence write with a cynical tone. This flip discourse is again, not in our control. The truth is that this is a top national research university with a terrific athletics program that will flourish, no matter what conference we are in and no matter what the media chatter looks like."

She just called out the BY folks.

Reaction Score
She's got more balls than our emo fans.

"I was hired because I'm an optimist, and I cannot help being just that."

Perfect.

arch

Reaction Score
Is she really under the impresion that athletics fans give a hoot about whether uconn is a research university or a liberal arts jesuit private?

Some of us do.
She does. She clearly wants everyone to know that she does.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
"I know that it is difficult to read much of the internet content right now about athletics, which seems to be dominated by negativity. Many bloggers, journalists, and even fans from elsewhere would like to see UConn hurt, and hence write with a cynical tone. This flip discourse is again, not in our control. The truth is that this is a top national research university with a terrific athletics program that will flourish, no matter what conference we are in and no matter what the media chatter looks like."

I don't see that at all.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I just got the email. I thought it was good statement that touched on all the issues.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
I just received her email. I am new to the BY and this is the first email I've ever received from the school. They had to have gotten my email and contacted from my connection to this board.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I just received her email. I am new to the BY and this is the first email I've ever received from the school. They had to have gotten my email and contacted from my connection to this board.
I'm pretty sure that the school has zero access to your email from this board.

Reaction Score
She said not to beg. Do we have to change all our signatures now?
The best way to present ourselves is with confidence. We do have a very nice school and a very nice state.

Reaction Score
I wish she dropped a THINK B1G somewhere in there
She did.

"So, Huskies: Let's all hang tough and please keep some perspective, as hard as it is in a time of great change. Win or lose, conference struggles or not, UConn is a research university. So if you are feeling low, just head to our university home page and glory in the amazing new faculty we are hiring at a rapid pace, our incredible student successes across disciplines, scientific awards and invention by our faculty, and all that matters most at your flagship university."

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that the school has zero access to your email from this board.
I would think that, but its interesting that I have never once received and email from the school until I joined this board.

Reaction Score
Very well stated and assuring. I wish I had read that prior to the npr interview. My only problem is with the 3rd to last paragraph. Why does she do that if there's no hope for big 10. Is she really under the impresion that athletics fans give a hoot about whether uconn is a research university or a liberal arts jesuit private? Is there something more there?

I don't think so. I don't think she was speaking to athletics fans though. She was speaking to UConn alumni and potential students as well.

Reaction Score
She dropped an atomic hint. No other conference cares about this stuff, including the ACC-heck they just added Louisville. This email is addressed specifically at our angst. She wouldn't have put this in. Every word in the statement is there for a reason. Do you think for a moment that she is not aware of the significance of those two themes-research/flagship.

She did.

"So, Huskies: Let's all hang tough and please keep some perspective, as hard as it is in a time of great change. Win or lose, conference struggles or not, UConn is a research university. So if you are feeling low, just head to our university home page and glory in the amazing new faculty we are hiring at a rapid pace, our incredible student successes across disciplines, scientific awards and invention by our faculty, and all that matters most at your flagship university."

Reaction Score
My reading: Welcome to UConn--Hockey school! ;)
In all seriousness it is fine. About all she really could say unless we're accepted into another league somewhere.

Reaction Score
She dropped an atomic hint. No other conference cares about this stuff, including the ACC-heck they just added Louisville. This email is addressed specifically at our angst. She wouldn't have put this in. Every word in the statement is thete for a reason. Do you think for a moment that she is not aware of the signicance of those two themes-research/flagship.
"We have no hope! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Keep the positive spirit going.

Reaction Score
She dropped an atomic hint. No other conference cares about this stuff, including the ACC-heck they just added Louisville. This email is addressed specifically at our angst. She wouldn't have put this in. Every word in the statement is thete for a reason. Do you think for a moment that she is not aware of the signicance of those two themes-research/flagship.

I completely agree...I love this lady, she dropped hints left and right. Great letter and I really think she reads the Boneyard daily.

Reaction Score

Agreed. My understanding from reading the article was there are specific attempts throughout to mention research and that last mention of flagship. She literally stated "UConn is a research University" now that was a bold statement to make but once again maybe to much over analyzing / thinking?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And ESPN, and CBS...

Reaction Score
Agreed. My understanding from reading the article was there are specific attempts throughout to mention research and that last mention of flagship. She literally stated "UConn is a research University" now that was a bold statement to make but once again maybe to much over analyzing / thinking?
Absolutely not. She is putting academics and research ahead of the athletics. Knowing we are a "public Ivy", if we go further up the top-20 ladder, how can the AAU or B1G say "no"? The public Ivies in the ACC are all being targeted.

Reaction Score
More food for thought: we are the ONLY public Ivy at the FBS level that is not in the top 5 conferences as of 2014. Rutgers was the only other one but they are gone to the B1G. UNC and UVA are the only ones in the ACC. UMD is a public Ivy but gone to the B1G too. 11 out of 14 schools in the B1G will be public Ivies. Purdue, Northwestern (private school) and Nebraska are the only exceptions. By being a public Ivy in the B1G, we can easily attract students from all over New England and the rest of northeast and who knows where else. The sky is our limit.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else feel guilty ripping the program and it's future? I sure do. I guess we should stop letting emotion get the best of us.

If UConn's most rabid fan base is down on the university........

I think her point is if you do things the right way, in the end, it always works out just fine.

I think the comment about the media chatter is directed towardS ESPN. I hope it is a subtle way of telling ESPN to STFU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom