Latest from the WVU board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That came out of his ass.

Reaction Score
At least they consider their own realignment "insiders" to be a joke.

Reaction Score
I"m liking this:

'Syracuse will not be number 16. IF, and I say IF it came down to Syracuse and UConn, UConn brings more to the table.

1.) UConn is the undisputed State University of the state of Connecticut and is identified throughout the state as such. New York has butchered up the identity of their State universities to such a degree that there really isn't one identified "State" University that everyone from all over the state can rally behind. College loyalty in New York state is EXTREMELY fractured. In Western New York, Penn State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan are followed FAR more than Syracuse. In New York City, UConn is the preferred basketball program and Rutgers is the preferred football program.

2.) UConn has Hockey, Syracuse does not.

3.) Penn State and Syracuse have had a cold relationship ever since Syracuse helped to blackball the establishment of Joe Paterno's Eastern All Sports Conference at the last minute in November of 1981. As opposed to Rutgers, Maryland, and Virginia, Syracuse won't get a whole lot of support from Penn State.

4.) UConn has EXTREMELY close research ties to the University of Virginia through their membership in Universitas 21. They are the only two American Universities in that International Research Consortium of 21 Universities that spans 12 Countries. They are also working closely on some federal projects.

5.) Far fewer legal issues with UConn.

6.) Not much difference in sports quality although UConn has FAR greater upside.

7.) UConn actually helps Big 10 recruiting more than Syracuse does. Gets you more into New York City and New England for basketball. And in football, upstate New York State is a wasteland. The quality of high school football in upstate New York is FAR inferior to New Jersey and Pennsylvania. In fact, by comparison, it's almost laughable.

All that being said, neither one have much of a chance. But UConn would get the nod.'

Reaction Score

UCONN is a flagship university. CUSE is private. Like Delaney said, "flagship universities matter". CUSE bringing NYC is a freaking joke - only person who is stupid enough to believe that is their AD Gross - UCONN brings more NYC than CUSE in both FB and BB. This is why UCONN is the premier school on SNY.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Syracuse has an avid following and a national presence

Like most articles of this type there's grains of truth. SU is a great regional pull because Albany, Rochester and Buffalo got nothing.

You would be surprised at the fans in Scranton where they view Penn State and Pitt and Nova and SU as local media and classic matchups.

Kentucky led the nation in average home attendance for the 15th time in 16 years last year. The Wildcats averaged 23,603. Syracuse was second at 22,312.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has an avid following and a national presence

Like most articles of this type there's grains of truth. SU is a great regional pull because Albany, Rochester and Buffalo got nothing.

You would be surprised at the fans in Scranton where they view Penn State and Pitt and Nova and SU as local media and classic matchups.

Kentucky led the nation in average home attendance for the 15th time in 16 years last year. The Wildcats averaged 23,603. Syracuse was second at 22,312.

It's just not true what you're saying. I have lived in all 3 cities. Syracuse does not even have radio in these 3 cities. There is literally no pulse for Cuse. I guarantee you that UB is more popular in the Buffalo area than Cuse,

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I've also lived in Upstate NY and spent time at a SUNY and have friends from college spread throughout the Upstate. You they don't hang with.

What do you think the cold ass colleges in Canton and Potsdam watch. Saint Lawrence or Clarkson basketball? Of course you do! And Owego College makes them cum! And Binghamton is just the Schnitz! And Lemoyne. Let's not forget that hotty!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's just not true what you're saying. I have lived in all 3 cities. Syracuse does not even have radio in these 3 cities. There is literally no pulse for Cuse. I guarantee you that UB is more popular in the Buffalo area than Cuse,

I think it's an age thing. I went to school with guys from Rochester, Albany, Buffalo, and Binghamton. Those who were CBB fans were Cuse fans. Cuse is.the team of choice in the Northway area and along 90 out to about Rochester. Drops off from there. They like hockey.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think it's an age thing. I went to school with guys from Rochester, Albany, Buffalo, and Binghamton. Those who were CBB fans were Cuse fans. Cuse is.the team of choice in the Northway area and along 90 out to about Rochester. Drops off from there. They like hockey.

I'm just telling about my 4 years in Albany, 4 years in Rochester, 9 years in Buffalo. I lived in Albany and Rochester before I was a parent and got out more. I'd sometimes go to the Distillery (a sports bar) in Rochester, and try to watch college ball, and I distinctly remember times when Cuse was playing and they wouldn't show it. I remember watching a Duke football game one time because someone requested it (a parent of a player) while Cuse was playing. Granted it was the early season.

I think you're right about the northway and Utica, Little Falls, etc. But those areas are not population centers. You're also right that there is not much interest in college basketball.

If I had to draw a circle around the fanbase, I'd start maybe in Schenectady, through Utica and Rome, north to Watertown, south to Binghamton, west to about Lake Honeyoe.

Reaction Score

I am in Albany. A SUNY-Albany adjunct. My Dad was a basketball coach & AD; I know a lot of the backstory & history. So when you are talking the Northway (Albany to Montreal), I think you are full of crap.

Syracuse is a CNY entity. Good fanbase to Rochester. Not much in Albany; truly. Sure, when they are rolling ... Albany can be watching & you will see Syracuse Orange shirts & hats. But, it is NOT the State team; it is not an Albany team. (in Albany, when Siena is good, Cuse won't be the topic of discussion as the business community has a large Siena alum feel) In Metro NYC? I always thought the Doctor Gross claim to NYC was very false. I can't quantify; but, the Cuse Brand is just not above the many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom