Latest coaching carousel | The Boneyard

Latest coaching carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amy Williams from South Dakota to Nebraska

And I'll try to consolidate other news here

Coach's Name........................................................From.......................To
P5
Kenny Brooks ..... ..... James Madison .. ... Va Tech
Jonathan Tsipis .. ..... G Washington ... ... Wisconsin
Adia Barnes .. ... ..... Washington (asst) .. Arizona
Amy Williams ..... ..... South Dakota ... ... Nebraska

AAC
Travis Mays ... .. ..... Texas (asst) ... ... SMU
Katie Abr.-Henderson ... Albany .... .... ... Central Florida

Other
Tony Verdi ... ... ..... E Michigan .... .... UMass
Sean O'Regan ..... ..... JMU (asst) .... .... James Madison

Reaction Score
JR Payne .... .... .... Santa Clara .... .... Colorado

Are there any other P5 openings still out there that I've forgotten?
Seems light the only pretty good job open is GW.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I take it you don't consider the Louisiana Tech job to be "pretty good" one?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One interesting coaching change is Christy Smith, top assistant to Jimmy Dykes at Arkansas, is now HC at Incarnate Word (Southland Conference).

I'm not sure how much of a climb it is to go from a top AC at an SEC school to HC in one of the lowest-rated D-I conferences (28th out of 32 in the RPI). But I guess it's something.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Looks right and tight. Perhaps "Albany" is a pretty good job, considering it helped Abr.-Henderson get the gig at CFU. That and GW is all I can think of, at this point...

Reaction Score
Hearing that Providence coach Susan Robinson Fruchtl is gone.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One interesting coaching change is Christy Smith, top assistant to Jimmy Dykes at Arkansas, is now HC at Incarnate Word (Southland Conference).

I'm not sure how much of a climb it is to go from a top AC at an SEC school to HC in one of the lowest-rated D-I conferences (28th out of 32 in the RPI). But I guess it's something.
It isn't a horrible thing to go from an Assistant to a Head Coach - that little piece of experience could make the difference in a future opportunity. Plus, a look at her record includes short stints at Valpo and a few years at Purdue as an Asst. before Arkansas. Not an especially impressive record.

Reaction Score
Hearing that Providence coach Susan Robinson Fruchtl is gone.

Reading up on her and the Friars and it's just :eek:.
She lost at least 23 games each of her four years there and she wasn't fired, she left for another job.
Providence last made the NC tourney at the end of the first Bush administration (Bush the elder, not GWB) and had ONE winning season since.:eek::eek:

Reaction Score

JMU coaching adjustments (lots going on there). Kenny Brooks from 225 plus K to 500,000 with guaranteed 25k increases annually. O'Regan--Student Manager, to Ass't at 90 something k to 180k plus 7ooo if he gets to the NCAA (I know Dawn will envy this--) if he gets to the Final 4 he'll another 7000 and she will probably desire the JMU coach's National Champ bonus ---7000.. He'll get 2000 for WNIT. Do you see any reason Kenny Brooks would opt for being way out in the woods of Blacksburg, Va??? O'Regan, lost all of Kenny's assistants and OP's people--they went to VT. Money?? Kenny?? BOTH!! O'Regan will have an up hill battle--the bright side is it will only cost JMU 180,000 (they are saving 45K every year)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
JMU coaching adjustments (lots going on there). Kenny Brooks from 225 plus K to 500,000 with guaranteed 25k increases annually. O'Regan--Student Manager, to Ass't at 90 something k to 180k plus 7ooo if he gets to the NCAA (I know Dawn will envy this--) if he gets to the Final 4 he'll another 7000 and she will probably desire the JMU coach's National Champ bonus ---7000.. He'll get 2000 for WNIT. Do you see any reason Kenny Brooks would opt for being way out in the woods of Blacksburg, Va??? O'Regan, lost all of Kenny's assistants and OP's people--they went to VT. Money?? Kenny?? BOTH!! O'Regan will have an up hill battle--the bright side is it will only cost JMU 180,000 (they are saving 45K every year)
Power 5 conference. A chance to have a program that might be consistently more than one and done in the NCAA's. Not knocking JMU - but there is a "glass ceiling" for teams from all but the power 5, BE, American and A10. And for the 3 non-power 5's I mentioned, there is still a glass ceiling, it just is higher, except for UConn of course.

Reaction Score
Power 5 conference. A chance to have a program that might be consistently more than one and done in the NCAA's. Not knocking JMU - but there is a "glass ceiling" for teams from all but the power 5, BE, American and A10. And for the 3 non-power 5's I mentioned, there is still a glass ceiling, it just is higher, except for UConn of course.

Go ahead, knock JMU. In terms of a small College they are pretty big. They are spending so much money buying up real estate it appears they are seeking great coaching at bargain basement pricing. They are collecting donation for a Convo center to "replace" the current one.
A bit of the cart before the horse thing---2000 average spectators/fans/alum/yearly subscribers--. Geno sneezes and 2000 plus are offering him a handkerchief ===saturn ---mars a whole different world --but fun teams to watch It's a bit like Uconn in the old field house, great fun games and you didn't have to sit up 300 feet from the court.

Reaction Score
Go ahead, knock JMU. In terms of a small College they are pretty big. They are spending so much money buying up real estate it appears they are seeking great coaching at bargain basement pricing. They are collecting donation for a Convo center to "replace" the current one.
A bit of the cart before the horse thing---2000 average spectators/fans/alum/yearly subscribers--. Geno sneezes and 2000 plus are offering him a handkerchief ===saturn ---mars a whole different world --but fun teams to watch It's a bit like Uconn in the old field house, great fun games and you didn't have to sit up 300 feet from the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom