Late Game Management | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Late Game Management

Reaction Score
Gaffney was awful whole game can’t be winning games with him dribbling it 15 times with 17 seconds left. Just dreadful coaching.
At some point it has to be on the players. Hurley definitely has his flaws and the offense needs to be improved but do you think he drew up a play to have Gaffney dribble the ball and chuck up a 3?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
My biggest issues are the following (which are very correctable): inexplicably stepping out of bounds when no one is around you and two guys fighting for a rebound where no opponent is near and the ball fumbling out of bounds. Fix just those two problems and we win by 10 today.

Reaction Score
Not yet, but I’m getting close. He isn’t naturally comfortable with the ball. He plays nervous. I think he has it in him, but he needs to show it now. We let a huuuuge opportunity slip away to make noise nationally tomorrow. I was looking forward to the Baylor test.
He can make open threes and the occasional drive but he's clearly never going to be a point guard. It's year three and his handle is still bad, he's tentative, and he just doesn't know how to run stuff. Diggins will be lost on D but he's a point guard. We're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole with Gaffney.

Reaction Score
We don't have enough good guards. When you play Martin/Ajax at 2G this much you don't have enough at the moment. Hawkins is the answer to that clearly but until he earns end of game trust we will continue to struggle. Where we really struggle is not having a trustworthy second ball handler or creator. Diggins or Gaffney. One has to step up. Cole has a lot on his plate. Foul trouble or injury from Cole puts us in a real bad spot.

Reaction Score
There's no way that Diggins can't lead the offense better than Gaffney when Cole is out. Unfortunately, Hurley will never give him a try and let him show what he can do.

Yes. Because he hasn't cracked the rotation by game 6 on a very deep team he clearly brought Diggins here to just sit on the bench for 4 years

Reaction Score
We got screwed. But these evaporating leads at the end of the game have to get fixed. The team can't play with a lead.
Exactly. That last call against Cole was beyond awful and a game changing call. But that can't be the only takeaway. UConn isn't closing games out well at all and all the players tighten up in the clutch.

Reaction Score
Yes what exactly was the final play DH drew up?

Honestly they should’ve gone to the hole immediately for 2 and crashed the boards for the put back. Polley want going to be allowed to shoot by izzo and sanogo wasn’t getting it in deep easily. Have a better plan than a guard who wasn’t playing well dribbling around aimlessly. Painful play calling. Did Jason Garrett get in the huddle?

Reaction Score
Turning point was when we're up 7 and turned it over, could have pushed it to 9 or 10 instead MSU cut it right to 4.

I felt at that point we would probably find a way to lose unfortunately.
I was lamenting that, too. I am glad I wasn't the only one that hated that possession.

Reaction Score
We don't have enough good guards. When you play Martin/Ajax at 2G this much you don't have enough at the moment. Hawkins is the answer to that clearly but until he earns end of game trust we will continue to struggle. Where we really struggle is not having a trustworthy second ball handler or creator. Diggins or Gaffney. One has to step up. Cole has a lot on his plate. Foul trouble or injury from Cole puts us in a real bad spot.
Going to have to make Hawkins a much bigger part of the offense and going to have to play Diggins for us to reach our potential.

Reaction Score
I think we need to give Diggins and Hawkins and Samson Johnson some real run in the upcoming games. Let the talent loose.

Gaffney’s gotta step up on make way. Samson needs to be ready to play and push Akok when he’s not feeling it. He’s be mostly invisible the last couple games.

Reaction Score
Honestly they should’ve gone to the hole immediately for 2 and crashed the boards for the put back. Polley want going to be allowed to shoot by izzo and sanogo wasn’t getting it in deep easily. Have a better plan than a guard who wasn’t playing well dribbling around aimlessly. Painful play calling. Did Jason Garrett get in the huddle?
Maybe Jason did. He wasn't there for the entire game, though. If he was, UConn wouldn't have broke 30 pts the entire game. You know the Giants have only broken 30 pts once since he became the offensive coordinator? Someone feel free to verify that.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I agree. Hawkins, Diggins and even Gaffney and Jackson are gonna get fixed in the regular season with conference reps. You can’t correct much in a short tournament with this level of competition.

Reaction Score
I think we need to give Diggins and Hawkins and Samson Johnson some real run in the upcoming games. Let the talent loose.

Gaffney’s gotta step up on make way. Samson needs to be ready to play and push Akok when he’s not feeling it. He’s be mostly invisible the last couple games.
Clearly Akok struggles with inside physicality. Not having Whaley today really stung.

Reaction Score
Yes. Because he hasn't cracked the rotation by game 6 on a very deep team he clearly brought Diggins here to just sit on the bench for 4 years
The point is that right now is the time for him to crack the rotation.

Reaction Score
The last possession by Gaffney was ghastly. That’s the best we could do down 3 with 20 seconds left???
He's not a point guard, Diggins is. Going to have to develop him by giving him minutes.

Reaction Score
Bright side is that we are clearly really good. This was us playing poorly. A few years ago that meant getting blown out by 40 by Arkansas. Little thanksgiving perspective. Booze time. Cheers everyone
We are really good. Only makes a loss like this more frustrating. It was a lot of factors that went into the loss today, but we're going to be fine.

Reaction Score
Coaching cannot be blamed for errors like stepping out of bounds when shooting, unnecessary fouling, but the coaches line up combinations are questionable and as previously stated, poor late game management. I do believe however that this game was handed to MSU by the officiating crew. No question.

Reaction Score
I wanted this one. If we lost to Baylor in the finals it wouldn't have bothered me much with 2 goood wins in the vault. Need to beat VCU tomorrow(assuming they lose). 1-2 would be a major letdown after yesterday.

Reaction Score
I wanted this one. If we lost to Baylor in the finals it wouldn't have bothered me much with 2 goood wins in the vault. Need to beat VCU tomorrow(assuming they lose). 1-2 would be a major letdown after yesterday.
Cannot come out flat tomorrow against a bad VCU team. We need to beat them by 20 and stay in the top 25

Reaction Score
How did Hurley's URI teams perform in close games down the stretch?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom