Last Thoughts for Tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Last Thoughts for Tonight

Reaction Score
Wondering how hostile the environment will be with all the Purdue fans. Will it feel almost like an away game?

Reaction Score
For the first time all season, I’m terrified. idk what these refs might do

Reaction Score
My final thoughts are no different than my first thoughts.
200.gif

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm weirdly calm, I'm usually a wreck all day before the biggest games. Only other game of this magnitude I was calm for was '14 when we beat Kentucky for the title.

Not sure if that's a good thing but I think it is.

Going back to a thread you started last week, can you imagine if we were hot from 3 in a game? That would be nice, huh?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
... Clingan needs to stay out of foul trouble(seems unlikely) and we need to shoot at least decent...
Why does that seem unlikely? He hasn't been in foul trouble since February.

Reaction Score
I’m terrified. This is supposed to be fun, and my family doesn’t seem to understand that everything I do today has a direct influence on the outcome of this game.

I think you need to be accountable and own this. Had you joined us watching people eating meat during the “Big Texan” phase, your family would realize you’re totally insane, and nothing else you do connected to the boneyard would phase them.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
I think you need to be accountable and own this. Had you joined us watching people eating meat during the “Big Texan” phase, your family would realize you’re totally insane, and nothing else you do connected to the boneyard would phase them.
Haha. I did partake in the Big Texan watching… to be fair; my family did travel with me to see games at Villanova and to the BET Finals at MSG this season, so I should probably cut them some slack!

Reaction Score
Everyone who’s feeling nervous here, go back and look at Purdue’s games from this year.

Lost to Wisconsin. Lost to Ohio St. Lost to Northwestern.

Mich St lost two games by only 5 and 6 pts. These aren’t great teams. Purdue only blew out a handful of teams all year, typically they’ve won by single digits.

Xavier….Xavier!!!…only lost by 12 to Purdue. And Marquette by 3.

This game will be either close or UConn will run away with it.

Reaction Score
Why does that seem unlikely? He hasn't been in foul trouble since February.
He hasn't tried to defend Edey for 40 minutes since February. It's a way more difficult assignment than any he has had. Depends on how the refs call it and how disciplined DC plays.

Reaction Score
The drop coverage Creighton played bothered us. Hope that isn't case here. Had to settle for midrange 2's as they ran us off 3 point line and took away our cuts to the basket. Hope we have an answer to that now. Clingan needs to stay out of foul trouble(seems unlikely) and we need to shoot at least decent. Hope they are not on fire. May need to help on Edey and that will free up their shooters. Need to do it fast and smart. Sometimes from angles he can't see and then rush out to shooter. Hope our defensive rotations are crisp. NC St swiped at his dribbles and he also held the ball at times low. The swiping clearly bothered him and caused some TO's.
This is true. Edey isn't as mobile as Kalkbrenner, however. Edey from what I saw in the Northwestern game will not turn around or cover distance to block a shot-he will usually concede the layup or dunk. He will block shots if the person is near the basket and in front of him.

I think the guards can help, but not necessarily to double team, at least not frequently. If they dig, or take a few steps towards without fully committing to double teaming Edey after he catches the ball in the paint (hopefully further than 7 feet from the basket) and dribbles once he will be inclined to pick up the dribble and then pass. The guards will be in good position to recover and get out on the shooters. Purdue's 3 pointers are usually the wide open variety resulting from doubling Edey or from wing defenders trying to cover the pick and roll with Edey. Hopefully Hurley and company find a way to slow down the pick and roll because Purdue is very effective running that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We're gonna make these guys run. If they keep it close early, I can see them gassed late.

Reaction Score
I feel as though we have enough weapons offensively to overcome Edey. And our defense is fantastic. I'm imagining a close 1st half, but thinking (hoping) we pull away nicely in the 2nd.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
UCONN is playing another level of ball right now, and I don't believe we've seen their best yet. Play our game, because our game is a beautiful thing to see.

Reaction Score
Last thoughts?

UConn has made the case - We are the best. We want to play the best, We’re not afraid of you. Like Walt in Breaking Bad… I’m the one at the door! Be afraid of me….

Now we meet Purdue who has also said the same thing. They’ve shied away from no one and have made their case their the Best and want to play the best!

Tonight, it’s more like let’s get ready to rumble….

This is how it’s supposed to be and I don’t think UConn or Pudue would want it any other way.

Reaction Score
Yarders, you've done everything all year long to prepare for this game. You've studied countless hours of tape, scouting reports and postgame analysis. So go out there, relax and enjoy this moment. Strength and honor.

Reaction Score
I’m terrified. This is supposed to be fun, and my family doesn’t seem to understand that everything I do today has a direct influence on the outcome of this game.
Please tell me everything went according to plan today.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stay loose. Enjoy the moment. Soak it all in. And get that done 15 minutes before tip-off.

Then play your normal game. Hope the coaches are cued in to see if some of the players are overhyped and need a quick pull to get back in to their rhythm.

I'd rather Edey get hot on short shots than their perimeters players getting hot from 3. I'd sacrifice short shots from Zach to make sure their perimeter players aren't getting kick out 3's. They also do well when Edey gets double-teamed and Purdue gets weak sided offensive rebounds and kick outs to 3. No double teaming from the post or weakside. Need everyone on weakside to maintain assignments.

And relax. Make sure the players on UConn know both teams have anxieties but UConn's players and staff have seen the game plan through to success. Purdue has not.

Do what you always do. Move and execute on offense. Rebound. Play sound defense.

Helluva game plan Chin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom