Last Thoughts for Tonight | The Boneyard

Last Thoughts for Tonight

Reaction Score
We are better than them. But they are very very good and the second best team in the country for a reason. This is, by far, the best team we've played in a championship game since '99. We can lose. My keys:

1. Clingan staying out of foul trouble. If you're between Edey and the basket and he shoots over you, he shoots over you. If he gets position inside you, let him go. We're not going to shut Edey down -- don't let him take you out of the game by wasting fouls on low percentage attempts to disrupt him.

2. Hit 3 point shots at your normal rate throughout the game. For purposes of my heart, don't shoot 25% or less all day long and then get hot in the last five minutes. Again.

3. Hope the opponent doesn't have a statistically impossible night shooting threes. That we were up at the half with 'Bama shooting almost 70% from 3 was remarkable, but if Purdue shoots 70% from 3 for a long while, they are going to build a lead.

I don't need to make it more complicated than that. Clingan plays 28 minutes or more and I think the line is justified.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think this will be a game where the hated midrange shot could be a vital weapon.

I know the number crunchers believe that the 8-12 foot shot is a wasted possession, but this is something that Purdue won't defend (out of fear of a kickout pass for a three). If we hit a decent percentage of these we can give them problems.

I also believe that it needs to be drilled into DC that this cannot become a DC vs Edey game. That is the only feasible way things can fall into Purdue's favor. Positions one through four on the court are so ridiculously slanted in our favor that we won't need to win the matchup at the five. We just need to be within reasonable striking distance there and the game should be ours.

Reaction Score
We are better than them. But they are very very good and the second best team in the country for a reason. This is, by far, the best team we've played in a championship game since '99. We can lose. My keys:

1. Clingan staying out of foul trouble. If you're between Edey and the basket and he shoots over you, he shoots over you. If he gets position inside you, let him go. We're not going to shut Edey down -- don't let him take you out of the game by wasting fouls on low percentage attempts to disrupt him.

2. Hit 3 point shots at your normal rate throughout the game. For purposes of my heart, don't shoot 25% or less all day long and then get hot in the last five minutes. Again.

3. Hope the opponent doesn't have a statistically impossible night shooting threes. That we were up at the half with 'Bama shooting almost 70% from 3 was remarkable, but if Purdue shoots 70% from 3 for a long while, they are going to build a lead.

I don't need to make it more complicated than that. Clingan plays 28 minutes or more and I think the line is justified.
40 minutes of hell, pedal to the metal and do not relent.

Reaction Score
I think this will be a game where the hated midrange shot could be a vital weapon.

I know the number crunchers believe that the 8-12 foot shot is a wasted possession, but this is something that Purdue won't defend (out of fear of a kickout pass for a three). If we hit a decent percentage of these we can give them problems.
Good point. I watched the northwestern game and they were doing exactly that, and won. This a game where Cam and Castle can use their floaters in the paint. They both seem very accurate in the paint.

Maybe if we start hitting lots of those we draw Edey out from the hoop

Reaction Score
Agree with all the above. Would also add guard rebounding. If Donovan and especially Samson can get down the court and force Edey to run end to end, I see us having an advantage as the game wears on. Let’s go!

Reaction Score
Don't let up after building an early lead. IMO, UConn jumps out quickly to a double-digit lead. Then, can they at least maintain it through the early 2nd half. Dont give them hope like they did Alabama.

Reaction Score

I also believe that it needs to be drilled into DC that this cannot become a DC vs Edey game. That is the only feasible way things can fall into Purdue's favor. Positions one through four on the court are so ridiculously slanted in our favor that we won't need to win the matchup at the five. We just need to be within reasonable striking distance there and the game should be ours.
It’s wilt vs Russell. Let wilt get his. Let the better team get the win.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stay loose. Enjoy the moment. Soak it all in. And get that done 15 minutes before tip-off.

Then play your normal game. Hope the coaches are cued in to see if some of the players are overhyped and need a quick pull to get back in to their rhythm.

I'd rather Edey get hot on short shots than their perimeters players getting hot from 3. I'd sacrifice short shots from Zach to make sure their perimeter players aren't getting kick out 3's. They also do well when Edey gets double-teamed and Purdue gets weak sided offensive rebounds and kick outs to 3. No double teaming from the post or weakside. Need everyone on weakside to maintain assignments.

And relax. Make sure the players on UConn know both teams have anxieties but UConn's players and staff have seen the game plan through to success. Purdue has not.

Do what you always do. Move and execute on offense. Rebound. Play sound defense.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The more I think, the less I like the idea of Don on an island. Edey is easily flustered by digs at the ball. Pick your spots, don't let him comfortably move Don into his comfort zone. This should help limit Dons fouls as well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. UConn has the championship game experience which is a much bigger deal than many think.
2. Refs need to let them play.
3. 1-4 UConn is better than Purdue 1-4
4. Outrebound and fast transition - tire the opponent

I may be in the minority, but I am not nervous at all. Purdue hasn't seen a team like UConn all season.

Reaction Score
The more I think, the less I like the idea of Don on an island. Edey is easily flustered by digs at the ball. Pick your spots, don't let him comfortably move Don into his comfort zone. This should help limit Dons fouls as well.
Our guards will show. NC St turned Edey over a few times like that, they just weren’t disciplined on the skip passes. We will be. But also we can’t over help.

Reaction Score
Our guards will show. NC St turned Edey over a few times like that, they just weren’t disciplined on the skip passes. We will be. But also we can’t over help.
Gotta dig consistently- not sure why these other teams didn’t do it all tournament until NC State did the other night.

Reaction Score
I think we need a good early offensive showing from AK. Let AK and Tristen get us rolling. Then Cam and Clingan bring us home. Limit their offensive rebounds and our turnoseen. Don't let the crowd or refs rattle them.

We are the better team, and much better than anyone they have seen. Be the Wagon they have been all season, and we win by 15+

Reaction Score

Castle should have a big night pulling up between foul line and edey.

Reaction Score
Stay loose. Enjoy the moment. Soak it all in. And get that done 15 minutes before tip-off.

Then play your normal game. Hope the coaches are cued in to see if some of the players are overhyped and need a quick pull to get back in to their rhythm.

I'd rather Edey get hot on short shots than their perimeters players getting hot from 3. I'd sacrifice short shots from Zach to make sure their perimeter players aren't getting kick out 3's. They also do well when Edey gets double-teamed and Purdue gets weak sided offensive rebounds and kick outs to 3. No double teaming from the post or weakside. Need everyone on weakside to maintain assignments.

And relax. Make sure the players on UConn know both teams have anxieties but UConn's players and staff have seen the game plan through to success. Purdue has not.

Do what you always do. Move and execute on offense. Rebound. Play sound defense.
The psychological aspect is often understated. I don't know what is the best mindset for the UConn players, but I would think it's not about chasing history and all that other stuff. Focus on defeating Purdue and relax. All that other stuff about history will take care of itself. Billy Donovan said as much to Hurley.

Naturally, he reached out to the last guy to successfully navigate a back-to-back national championship push: Billy Donovan.

"He said don't make it about that," Hurley said. "Don't chase a repeat. Improve in the offseason as a coach, serve your players well, stick to the formula. Don't pursue the achievement. Just do a great job ... and let the chips fall where they may. But don't obsess over that accomplishment or else it's going to make you crazy."

Reaction Score
Castle should have a big night pulling up between foul line and edey.
And if Edey steps up to contest in the slightest, Castle can pass to Clingan for a dunk or a guard or Karaban cutting for the rim. Once Edey commits to moving one way, he can't recover and change directions. Edey plays the game like he has 4 fouls all the time and won't even bother contesting some shots. UConn can take advantage of this.

Reaction Score
Hope we got some of those turnovers that St didn't capitalize on. I do think we will challenge the 3 better than Purdue is used to. Just keep your arms up and for love of all that is holy no moving screen calls. L F G.

Reaction Score

Agreed. Alleyne hit some crucial mid range shots for us last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom