• Joey C

• Karaban

• Newton

• Other…

Results are only viewable after voting.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
There was a thread early in the season, about who we want taking a final seconds 3 pointer to tie the game.

I think by this point in the season the obvious answer is Hawkins. However, it’s doubtful he gets the ball in that situation (face guarded) or if he does probably with a double team.

Karaban hit a couple of huge shots vs Georgetown. I think he’s our most “clutch” (or, calm under pressure) performer. I hope we have a play to use Hawkins as a decoy to get Karaban a 3 if needed.

Assuming getting Hawkins a open look isn’t an option, curious who the rest of you want taking a final 3 if we need it to tie and force OT.

Reaction Score
Still more confident in Hawk to get open more than anyone on the team.

Otherwise it's gotta be either Karaban or Newton. I'd probably have Karaban and Sanogo elevator screen for Hawk and have both get open after the screen on the perimeter. Karaban in particular is excellent at getting open after screening.

Reaction Score
I voted for Alex Karaban. Hes having an amazing freshmen campaign. His performance at the end of the game Saturday was unbelievable. But if Alex's shot is off I would go to Jordan Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Karaban did miss a wide open three point at the end of Seton Hall that would have given the Huskies a 4 point lead. So he is 1 for 2 in end game circumstances.

Reaction Score
Karaban did miss a wide open three point at the end of Seton Hall that would have given the Huskies a 4 point lead. So he is 1 for 2 in end game circumstances.
He also missed one with about a minute left in the Georgetown game, that would have likely iced the game 30 seconds earlier.

Reaction Score
They both hit like 99% of all sides of the cylinder too. Just unlucky that they didn't fall

His shot is a little bit flat from range when he's rushing.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Hawkins first, then Karaban or Newton
Ditto.

I don't think it's fair to ding Karaban for the first late game miss vs GT, I mean I wanted it to go in badly too but no one is a 100% shooter. Plus he made up for it a few possessions later with a made one.

Reaction Score
Hawkins would be my first choice but I'd like to see Hurley run more plays for Alex.

I think Alex also needs to get it through his head that he isn't a freshman that needs to defer. He needs to be hunting for his own shot. If you watch him closely, he often catches the ball already facing the guy he's going to pass to. He needs to think SHOOT on every touch, and think pass later. He's going to be a 16/5/2 kind of player as a sophomore, and should start acting like it.

I also like Alex aggressively driving 3 or 4 times a game attacking closeouts. He's not a great finisher right now (his footwork sucks--he has no idea how to jump off one foot and gets blocked), but every rep is an investment in our future. He also needs to learn to negative step and go to his left hand. I'd much rather see a Karaban layup than Diarra, Alleyne, Joey C right now.

Reaction Score
His shot is a little bit flat from range when he's rushing.
Yeah it does look that way. Still though, 38.4% on over 4 3PA per game as a freshman is crazy good. He can tune it a bit in the offseason. He'll be a 40%+ guy easily next season

Reaction Score
Yeah it does look that way. Still though, 38.4% on over 4 3PA per game as a freshman is crazy good. He can tune it a bit in the offseason. He'll be a 40%+ guy easily next season

I think he'll be a 16/5/2 kind of player next season.

Getting his shot off faster (footwork off of screens) and developing his footwork driving and finishing will take him to the next level. I want to see him learning to finish off one foot--only using a jump stop is getting his shot blocked. If he's going to be earthbound, you gotta be creative at the rim.

Reaction Score
Karaban is great but he can run hot and cold. At this point, I like giving the keys to Newton. He is stepping up and becoming the player we expected. I think he will continue to develop into the head of the snake over the next few weeks. I’ll give him the ball, not because I think he’s so much the better choice than Karaban but because I want him to be.

Reaction Score
“I remember beating myself up after the Seton Hall game where I hesitated on the corner 3 which could have been the dagger, so I didn’t want to hesitate in those moments,” Karaban said. “It’s awesome. I mean, I’ve worked for this. I believe it’s all the work that I put in earlier that just led up to that moment.”

The good thing is he learned from that.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is a great player but I don’t think he’s the last shot guy mentally. Has shown in the past he gets in his own head. Even this weekend there was a play when the score was tight and he drove to the hoop and essentially burped up the ball.

He has to show me more to take that show, Karaban has now done it a few times.

Reaction Score
I think he'll be a 16/5/2 kind of player next season.

Getting his shot off faster (footwork off of screens) and developing his footwork driving and finishing will take him to the next level. I want to see him learning to finish off one foot--only using a jump stop is getting his shot blocked. If he's going to be earthbound, you gotta be creative at the rim.
Look at his stats compared to freshman year Brady Manek. They're nearly identical. If we get production like that for the next 3 seasons, we will win a lot of games

Reaction Score
Look at his stats compared to freshman year Brady Manek. They're nearly identical. If we get production like that for the next 3 seasons, we will win a lot of games

Solid comp--I think our boy is a better passer though.

Reaction Score
The great thing is, if we have a last possession that we need a 3 on, you can put Hawkins, Karaban, Newton, Calcaterra, and Sanogo on the floor, and you have 3 guys that are great 3 point shooters, and 2 that are good. For so many years we have had one or two guys you want taking a three and it was much easier to defend.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If the options are wide open Karaban or Hawkins with defenders draped all over him shooting off-balance, I'm taking Alex. In basically any other scenario I'm taking Hawkins.
This was the point of the question. The obvious answer is run a play to get Hawkins open. But at this point if we need a 3 end of game, I doubt any good coach even lets him touch the ball (and if he does get it, there should be an instant double).

Was curious if people would prefer we have Hawkins try to force one up over tight D or if we have another guy we’d prefer to run a play for…

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawkins would be my first choice but I'd like to see Hurley run more plays for Alex.
Id like to see him run plays for anybody, especially Hawk

Reaction Score
If we need the 3-pt shot, put Hawkins, Alex, Joey, and Newton in, and I don't care who takes the shot, first one with a good look.

Reaction Score
The fact that Karaban has this much confidence from a notoriously fickle fanbase with little patience for freshman is a testament to just how well he has played for a freshman. He should be getting ALL kinds of hype before next season... but may not because he's not a big-time NBA prospect.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The thing about that miss was the location. I'm not sure I recall him taking many corner threes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom