Last night, this season, going forward | The Boneyard

Last night, this season, going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Obviously this season has not met expectations. This may be one of the bigger “what if” seasons in UConn history (aside from 2009). I wish UConn could run it back without JC’s health concerns and the whole Boatright situation. Heck, I wish AD would have let UConn know earlier that he was coming. It was not to be and that’s a shame because there is a ton of potential in this squad.

I think there were some times this season where players didn’t play all out and I think that hurt the team’s record quite a bit. There were kids who were worn out, injured or sulking and there were kids who thought their didn’t stink. They never should have been in the situation of playing a halfway decent squad in the first round of the NCAA tournament (and while I am hoping ISU does well and wish them the best, I think that is what they are, a halfway decent squad and I think UK will show everyone that Saturday).

After this season, I hope JC bans twitter and social media while the season is in progress next year. Players should not be engaging every idiotic fan out there that wants to bash the team. I know we all love to see updates on what the players are doing, but there are too many haters and emotional children out there and twitter allows them to get way to close to the players.

The game:
ISU’s gameplan was much better than UConn’s.

Royce White is a very good player and, aside from maybe Napier, the best player on the court. Even for all that, it was the gameplan more than his play that killed UConn. I’ve said/written it before; Roscoe should have been on him from the start (this is complete 20/20 hindsight on my part). White had 1 assist, and zero points with Roscoe on him and his 1 assist was more a fluke than a true assist. In fact, I would bet that if you tracked plus/minus of time Roscoe was guarding White, UConn as a team was a +16 or so. Roscoe was great because of his speed and quickness kept White from setting up his teammates for threes. Roscoe was quick enough to help/challenge on the dribble handoff after the handoff was made if his teammate didn’t get through the screen. The initial barrage was fantastic by ISU, they have some really good shooters on their team and they took full advantage of UConn trying to figure out how to defend Royce White. White could be a fantastic player if he learns to either shoot or post up or both. The fact he didn’t post Roscoe at all was amazing to me considering his strength/bulk advantage.

ISU also played pretty good defense, in fact I would say their defensive gameplan was fantastic. I don’t think Babb was as good as ISU fans had said he was going to be, though he was solid. He got a ton of help on Lamb, which was needed and for the most part executed flawlessly. ISU did a good job of helping Babb when he got caught up on screens or when Lamb got by him of collapsing to the paint and sealing that off. They didn’t let UConn get anything in the paint mainly because UConn’s bigs are no threat to make a jumpshot and UConn’s guards weren’t looking to drive and dish at all.

UConn’s gameplan as mentioned was flawed, but it was flawed in two ways: defensively (which I have mentioned) and offensively to start the game. They went to Oriakhi in the post a few times and when he got it he couldn’t do anything (shocking \sarcasm).

Individual players for the game:

Oriakhi: Offensively he got the ball in the post 3-4 times to start the game and couldn’t do anything. Defensively, he couldn’t defend White, but somehow was in the game when UConn made a run to close the half. If his sulking/talking back to Calhoun is true, I’m not shocked he didn’t play nearly at all in the second half.

Drummond: First half, foul trouble. Second half, some good blocks and defended White decently to close the game out, but he didn’t rebound well at all and did nothing offensively. He missed a few easy shots and layups.

Roscoe: He was a hero defensively on White. He rebounded decently and set good screens on offense. He even hit a three. He did not take a shot or two I would have liked him to take, but I won’t trash him for that. He also took 1 shot I didn’t want him to take (ahem, Roscoe, seriously, be more aware of end of half/game time).

Giffey: was OK offensively and defensively but couldn’t really defend White at all (very odd assignment by Calhoun).

Boatright: Drove to the hoop well, did not finish or look to dish on the drive nearly enough. Needed to help rebound better and didn’t.

Lamb: Honestly, I thought that was some of the most hustle I’ve ever seen him display on offense. He ran around a ton of screens but was slow to pull the trigger when he got the ball and was open. He also missed at least 2-3 open jumpers. Defensively he was sound after the first 13 minutes.

Napier: I would say he made about 3-4 bad plays all game. One on that long 3 hero shot when UConn was down 6. That was just a bad shot. Then another when he slipped on a wet spot driving to the hoop which lead to a fastbreak (or was that Boat). Either way, he was UConn’s offense and played good defense. Heck, he was at least trying to be a leader out there and I think that bodes well for next year.

Olander was out there but really didn’t do much, same for Daniels.

Going forward,

As much as I would like everyone to come back, I doubt that is going to happen. There did seem to be some sort of message being sent by JC last night to a few players. I would only be guessing as to what it was, but having Drummond on White seemed to be saying, “if you can’t guard him, you aren’t ready for the NBA.” I see no other reason that he would switch Roscoe off him to end the game. To be fair to Drummond, Royce only had 3 points on foul shots to end the game.

If some players leave and the NCAAT is forfeit as it currently stands, I almost want Ollie to have a crack at coaching next year. If there is no chance of an NCAAT, there is no pressure and UConn might as well see what Ollie can do. I of course say “almost” because if JC wants to coach, I am all for him coming back. This is his program first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman
Top Bottom