Last Night Could Of Be Worse:butler Lost 53-50 To D2 Northern State | The Boneyard

Last Night Could Of Be Worse:butler Lost 53-50 To D2 Northern State

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
to be fair tho, 28 points in the 1st half, but 50 in the 2nd. i can imagine the half time lecture was something along the lines of "what we've been doing isn't working well. do it this way" and they almost doubled the point production in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that bad zona loss. D2s pick off some big boys from time to time, but I wonder how often two E-8 teams get unceremoniously dumped by D2s in the same season.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
every year there are a couple interesting exb games and upsets. remember lemoyne vs cuse? i almost played baseball there lol. there have baan a number of close games and upsets this year already which is fun for pre season laughs. prov had a tough game last week vs asumpt. shu had a game vs bcu and i guess bcu looked brutal vs a shu team with hazell.

Reaction Score
Second half was more of what I was expecting. Clearly changes will be made and I am not taking much from this game. Thinking Sundays game we will look alittle better.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why is it embarrassing? Since it doesn't count against the record a Div I coach may elect to work certain aspects of a game all game long and not be concerned about a close game or loss. He would be considering the game a glorified practice. And if he took this attitude at the same time his opposing Div II coach wanted to get his players a feel good win and played their strength all game long the results would end up unexpected.

Reaction Score
I'd be embarrassed if uconn lost to AIC last night. I know your working on your game and it dosent count but it's a team not even in your division. When you have such highly rated recruits and possible nba prospects I feel you should never loose to a d2 school

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'd be embarrassed if uconn lost to AIC last night. I know your working on your game and it dosent count but it's a team not even in your division. When you have such highly rated recruits and possible nba prospects I feel you should never loose to a d2 school

I know that is your opinion, and you have a lot of people agreeing with you. But I don't think one poster would argue that they would ask you to be UConn's next coach over Brad Steven's if they had to make a choice between you and him because of this loss.

Some types of outcomes are meaningful and some aren't. In baseball, managers are using exhibition games to test all sorts of things. The records in that part of the season are meaningless. Same with college basketball.

But I guess these successful coaches, JB and Brad Stevens, should consider your point of view and concern themselves with a fans perception of what is valuable in a basketball season.

Reaction Score
I know that is your opinion, and you have a lot of people agreeing with you. But I don't think one poster would argue that they would ask you to be UConn's next coach over Brad Steven's if they had to make a choice between you and him because of this loss.

Some types of outcomes are meaningful and some aren't. In baseball, managers are using exhibition games to test all sorts of things. The records in that part of the season are meaningless. Same with college basketball.

But I guess these successful coaches, JB and Brad Stevens, should consider your point of view and concern themselves with a fans perception of what is valuable in a basketball season.

One of the things you work on in practice/exhibition games is "winning time". No matter what you practice on during the game, you try and win. Not saying Butler pulled out all the stops to win, but would be very surprised if at some point they didn't get "serious" and try to win.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
One of the things you work on in practice/exhibition games is "winning time". No matter what you practice on during the game, you try and win. Not saying Butler pulled out all the stops to win, but would be very surprised if at some point they didn't get "serious" and try to win.
No coach wants to lose, so I imagine they put in players and tried to play to their strengths for parts of the game. But if they didn't go all out for all of the game, then the game isn't a game but a practice. And that's what these exhibition games are - glorified practices. They allow coaches to see if styles of play, or particular plays, or particular combination of players work, need work or should be dropped. They can't always determine this when the same players are playing against one another. And they prefer trying things out in "games" that don't count for the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom