Last Decade: Alternative UConn Universe? | The Boneyard

Last Decade: Alternative UConn Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Over the last couple of weeks I've seen a fair number of journalist factual errors about UConn's storied history and it is the kind of sloppiness that is hard to figure, given the resources that are so readily available for fact checking. An example today is in the Tampa Tribune in Nan's News links. ""This season, UConn is seeking the first three-peat in program history." At least I hope it is an error or I was in an alternative UConn universe. In my universe Doris Burke (I think) was standing at the backline during a time out showing the national audience a Nike shoe with 3 Peat inscribed on it, and I do believe that UConn earned the shoes that night. Please tell me I am right!!???

Reaction Score
Chill! How many people read the sport section of Tempa tribune? Will this piece of news (misinformation)harm anybody? It was probably written by a minimum pay intern. Yell when the newspaper says we found Iraq has WMD next time...

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Chill! How many people read the sport section of Tempa tribune? Will this piece of news (misinformation)harm anybody? It was probably written by a minimum pay intern. Yell when the newspaper says we found Iraq has WMD next time...

Aren't we lucky to have you to guide our lives! The OP asked one question and the only thing you could do was be snarky.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rocky -
It is the issue of pretty much all print and broadcast media in modern times - there used to be fact checkers employed whose only job was to review every piece to be published to insure any fact presented was accurate. The best fact checkers also reviewed the content to insure that it wasn't just 'accurate' but that the facts were complete and not taken out of context to misrepresent. (My aunt worked for Life and Readers Digest after Life folded within the research departments and was involved in overseeing that process.)

In fact - newspapers used to receive bags of mail when they had simple typos or poor grammar - they would be buried if it happened on the front page and merely swamped if it was at least hidden on page 36.

We as a consuming public have contributed to declining standards of spelling/grammer and more importantly accuracy, by becoming complacent about it, if not downright complicit.

Reaction Score
DT had *this* many. But not in the past decade. ;)
espnw_a_taurasi2x_300x300.jpg

Reaction Score
. Please tell me I am right!!???

Your are right! Coincidentally I watched both the 2003 and 2004 NC games against UT last night thanks to the link to a website devoted to archived UConn games someone provided a few days ago on the BY. Yes, your memory of Doris Burke holding a Nike shoe with"3 Peat" printed on it is correct.
I had forgotten how much Marie Conlon and Jessica Moore contributed to those championships. DT of course is who everyone will remember but it took a team to win.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Your are right! Coincidentally I watched both the 2003 and 2004 NC games against UT last night thanks to the link to a website devoted to archived UConn games someone provided a few days ago on the BY. Yes, your memory of Doris Burke holding a Nike shoe with"3 Peat" printed on it is correct.
I had forgotten how much Marie Conlon and Jessica Moore contributed to those championships. DT of course is who everyone will remember but it took a team to win.

Yes Maria was Miss Unflappable and Jess was a total stud in those games, going back in with a torn ACL - course no one knew it or she would not have been out there. Never forget her getting the ball off to a team mate as she went down in pain.

Reaction Score
There were WMD found in Iraq, including over 5000 chemical warheads. U.S. troops were also found to have been exposed to mustard and other nerve agents.

A large percentage of the Iraqi inventory was moved to Syria in the year lead-up to the invasion.

So the next time you feel compelled to reply to a post in "wise guy" fashion, at have your historical accuracies in proper order.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There were WMD found in Iraq, including over 5000 chemical warheads. U.S. troops were also found to have been exposed to mustard and other nerve agents.

A large percentage of the Iraqi inventory was moved to Syria in the year lead-up to the invasion.

So the next time you feel compelled to reply to a post in "wise guy" fashion, at have your historical accuracies in proper order.

Right, and more of that stockpile was just recently dug up - rusting, rotten, dangerous ... and a significant amount of it is claimed to be of US origin, which is why information about these WMDs has been a dirty secret for many years.

Reaction Score
Right, and more of that stockpile was just recently dug up - rusting, rotten, dangerous ... and a significant amount of it is claimed to be of US origin, which is why information about these WMDs has been a dirty secret for many years.
And not a very well kept secret since the Iran/Iraq conflict dating back decades.

Reaction Score
Media today, regardless of topic, is not interested in facts, just stories that contribute to feeding the agenda, whatever that happens to be. After all, if they've never done it before, that's a MUCH better story than having them do it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom