Last basketball game on an aircraft carrier ? | The Boneyard

Last basketball game on an aircraft carrier ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Ohio State - Notre Dame WBB game was the only game completed.

Marquette - Ohio state men CANCELED. at game time........wet floor

Florida -Georgetown men suspended at halftime........ wet floor

There may be a third game canceled in San Diego

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Ohio State - Notre Dame WBB game was the only game completed.

Marquette - Ohio state men CANCELED. at game time........wet floor

Florida -Georgetown men suspended at halftime........ wet floor

There may be a third game canceled in San Diego
It is simply a stupid idea to put the athletes at risk. Someone's season and career could end.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with ice - it's a dumb idea. I get that they want to do things that are interesting to get different fans to come out and to support the troops, but outdoor hoops games are never a good idea unless you are playing in Rucker Park...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't know about that Eric. Lot's of us spent virtually our entire childhood playing hoops outdoors, with nary a problem.
I don't think it's intrinsically unsafe.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that Eric. Lot's of us spent virtually our entire childhood playing hoops outdoors, with nary a problem.
I don't think it's intrinsically unsafe.
Ah,but did you play on wood basketball flooring, or concrete or asphalt? I think there is a world of difference between the two. I never slip on wet concrete/asphalt. But on a wet wood floor? Yeah, I slip a bit, even with good traction shoes on.

Reaction Score
Not automatically against outdoor games, but I am adamantly against outdoor games on a carrier ship. I don't remember too many problems with the ASU (i think it was them) game a few years ago. The WNBA played one as well. Both of those games were in arena settings that blocked some of the elements and at least provided a sight line for shooting. Believe both were at night too, so the sun was not a factor. Both OSU and ND had to abandon their typical game plans because shooting wasn't going to work with the sun in the eyes, wind blowing, or odd shade over part of the court. The floor itself seemed to be an issue. Several players would just lose their dribble with no one even near them. The temp made a bench useless too. Players shaking from cold that haven't been warmed up aren't going to come into a game and be effective. It was a nice thing to do for the troops, but wish there was another way like playing in an Air Force hangar or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom