Last 10 seconds of first half | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Last 10 seconds of first half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about Navy's reckless chop blocking all damn day?

Navy was surprisingly dirty. Two of their linebackers had several late hits. One guy tried ripping the ball and arms off of Sherriff well after the whistle and when the ref told him to stop, he ran away laughing and got some high-fives. Also what about when Beals got drilled and dropped the ball. Navy wanted it to be a fumble and not an incomplete pass. The reply on the jumbo clearly showed the Navy back launched himself in a helmet to helmet hit. Diaco was waving his hands for a flag. Heck, right after the half, while the band was coming off the field, Navy's punter was punting balls into the UConn band on purpose. UConn's punter was warming-up on UConn's sideline punting there with no issue and there was space on then Navy sideline to do the same. That's just poor sportsmanship.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was in section 130 and watched it on the big board twice. The ball did touch the ground; but, Newsome's hands were under the ball and it did not move from catch to impact to rolling over on his back. That's a catch at any level. No clue how the refs nor the replay officials called that.

From the reviews we got inside the stadium, I agree. Looked like Newsome's hands were under the ball, the ball hit the ground, but Newsome had control during the entire process. The ball did not become dislodged at all. The call on the field that it was incomplete hurt because the replay officials were too much to overturn anything today.

Reaction Score
Navy was surprisingly dirty. Two of their linebackers had several late hits. One guy tried ripping the ball and arms off of Sherriff well after the whistle and when the ref told him to stop, he ran away laughing and got some high-fives. Also what about when Beals got drilled and dropped the ball. Navy wanted it to be a fumble and not an incomplete pass. The reply on the jumbo clearly showed the Navy back launched himself in a helmet to helmet hit. Diaco was waving his hands for a flag. Heck, right after the half, while the band was coming off the field, Navy's punter was punting balls into the UConn band on purpose. UConn's punter was warming-up on UConn's sideline punting there with no issue and there was space on then Navy sideline to do the same. That's just poor sportsmanship.
Yeah the whole punting on the field during the band performance then over the band as they marched off was ridiculous. I suppose Navy punts so infrequently he has to entertain himself somehow.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah the whole punting on the field during the band performance then over the band as they marched off was ridiculous. I suppose Navy punts so infrequently he has to entertain himself somehow.

That was the first time I've seen the visiting kickers warm up in the student section end zone. My seats are on the 10 yard line on the scoreboard side along the visitor's sideline and I have never seen kickers warm up anywhere but the end zone in front of me or along their own sideline while our band is on the field.

Reaction Score
That was the first time I've seen the visiting kickers warm up in the student section end zone. My seats are on the 10 yard line on the scoreboard side along the visitor's sideline and I have never seen kickers warm up anywhere but the end zone in front of me or along their own sideline while our band is on the field.
It looked like a yellow jacket said something to him and he disregarded it. One of the strangest things...

Reaction Score
From where I was sitting, it sounded like the refs stated the play was dead because the whistle blew, which if true was insane. The refs were insane the entire game.
I agree. As I think I mentioned. 2 flags I saw all day, both on Uconn and 3 reviews that I remember never started in Uconn's favor and none went their way.

Reaction Score
I was in Section 130. The Navy player did tip it back; but, the ball was well over the goal line (in the air). The ref standing there tossed that little back beanie thing where he saw the ball touch and it was still lying in the endzone at the end of the game.
I was in 202 so much further away, but even from there it appeared apparent the ball was in the end zone. Now I am not totally familiar with the rule, but does a touch or tip define downing the football? I would certainly hope not.

Reaction Score
I agree with the hit on Beals. I can't believe he got away with that. A clear helmet to helmet hit, or targeting as they call it. Led with the crown of the helmet at the shoulder pad height or higher. Total BS.

Reaction Score
I hate to post 6 times in a row but I did notice the Navy kicking team come out of the half with roughly 10-11 minutes still left until the start of the 3rd quarter. I didn't pay close enough attention to the kicking balls into the Uconn band, but if so, thats pretty messed up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree. As I think I mentioned. 2 flags I saw all day, both on Uconn and 3 reviews that I remember never started in Uconn's favor and none went their way.

You know they have a boxscore right? The record isn't based on your memory?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A drunk guy in 202 wants to dispute a call without knowing the rule or having access to a replay. Yet the official 5 feet away and a replay official saw it differently.

Expect an apology from the league office in the morning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean sure Navy was penalized for more yards than UConn - but the only two flags someone saw were on UConn. You can judge the officiating when you noticed 1/3 of the penalties called.

Reaction Score
I mean sure Navy was penalized for more yards than UConn - but the only two flags someone saw were on UConn. You can judge the officiating when you noticed 1/3 of the penalties called.
Navy's penalties came real late. Chop block, and a face mask on our last td drive, and a face mask on the last drive near the sideline. Navy seems to have caught all the breaks, but the didn't beat us because of the refs. they were better.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
spot on the downed punt was a good call, college rule is that the ball must 'touch the ground' behind the goal line for a touchback - crossing the plane has no meaning (and I don't think it did cross in this case anyway). Thought we got jobbed on the kick-off fumble which was huge -- getting behind two scores totally took us out of the game. Also thought the hit on beals involved launching and helmet-helmet, chavous said it couldn't be targeting because he was running and not defenseless -- is that how that works? Newsome incompletion looked like a catch but I can see where it was a tough call to overturn.....

Reaction Score
The fumble on the kick return was extra bad as even if we wouldn't have scored, a possesion for us probably takes enough time off the clock for them not to score at the end of the half as they scored in the last 10 seconds.

And it just seemed like Navy was the runner in any "tie goes to the runner" situation like Newsome's catch, the fumble on the kick, the fumble not called because of "forward progress", And the onsides where at least 3 officials signalled possession Navy, they finally got it right, but it just felt an almost "Navy can do no wrong" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom