Lashlee Clowning Edsall/Crocker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lashlee Clowning Edsall/Crocker

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The biggest challenge after cleaning out the D coaching staff is convincing anyone worth a damn to take over what is a thin (being nice) roster on D. I see us having to dig to someone below in the lower half of FCS or perhaps some sort of DII star. Unlikely anyone in the MAC or Sunbelt would anything to do with this unless they want to get back to New England.

Wholley and Crocker are CT guys, so that makes this a wee bit harder.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I will add that watching this game was more entertaining than watching a 21-3 loss. While the defense is painful, I still thought if SMU turned the ball over or if special teams made a play, they had a chance. Pindell is fun to watch. I will take good offense/bad defense over the opposite any time. Obviously whatever gets you the most wins is what you go with....but if the record is the same, I would rather have the offense.

This is the future of college football. You keep your foot on the gas every play on offense and defense.

Pressure at all points at all times. You know you will give up plays but you will also make plays. A turnover here or there or a key stop is difference between victory and losing.

You knew midway through third quarter is SMU stalled out UConn would keep on scoring.

UConn was almost +15 in TOP today.

C

Chief00

He was good. Supposedly his wife hated it up here and that was the reason he left.

Benedict should have given him the head job.

Never believe the family narrative stuff is the driver. That’s BS. Sure his wife had to make an adjustment but he went from Alabama to Storrs to Dallas. A coach’s wife adjust to moving. It’s what happened in the clubhouse when he was here. Grimes left too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The biggest challenge after cleaning out the D coaching staff is convincing anyone worth a damn to take over what is a thin (being nice) roster on D. I see us having to dig to someone below in the lower half of FCS or perhaps some sort of DII star. Unlikely anyone in the MAC or Sunbelt would anything to do with this unless they want to get back to New England.

Wholley and Crocker are CT guys, so that makes this a wee bit harder.

I actually have some faith in DLine and DB's developing. The LB's are a disaster. The triple play of slow, weak and low FB IQ.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Never believe the family narrative stuff is the driver. That’s BS. Sure his wife had to make an adjustment but he went from Alabama to Storrs to Dallas. A coach’s wife adjust to moving. It’s what happened in the clubhouse when he was here. Grimes left too.
Exactly right his wife was a small part of it..

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would rather live in a steady pool of toxic waste lit on fire than live in Texas (or anywhere south of Delaware). I like seasons and I like the cold. I am also well aware that there are people who feel exactly the same way about living in the north. It's all good.

Rhett had a nice year here ushering UConn out of DIaco doldrums and maybe if UConn offered to raise him, it may have had an impact in him staying. Or not. I actually have had little issue with Dunn, other than the UMass turtle game. If Rhett was a successful defensive coordinator and we let him leave with no/little fight, then I'd be much angrier than I am. But we've replaced Rhett as well as we can at the pay grade we offer. Now we need to replace a coach or two or three on the defensive side. Absolutely horrendous defense that can't stop anyone regardless of what our offense does or doesn't do.

Reaction Score

Grimes left because he was going back to auburn and making $100,000+ more than he did up here lol.

Reaction Score
62 points and they took their foot off the gas a while ago.
I'm not buying this. It was an 8 point game with 12 minutes to go. How can you say they took their foot off the gas? If they did take their foot of the gas, the coaches should be fired. Yes, our defense sucks, but our offense kept us breathing until late in this one. Not a good shot at winning, but I don't buy for one second that SMU's offense went easy on us until the final minutes.

Reaction Score
I agree, Lashlee would have a better offense, recruit better and bring in better assistants. Grimes was our top position coach last season by a long shot.
One year of Grimes fixed 5 years of OL problems and that work carried through. If you think coaching doesn’t matter, think twice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hope Dykes lets Lashlee clown Edsall all 60 minutes.

You got your wish. Before the TD in the last minute UConn scored 7 times. SMU followed up those 7 scores with 6 TD's and 1 punt. If you take out that one 11-play TD drive; the other 5 drives averaged 3 plays in 53 seconds. So basically SMU scored at will and made it a point to do quickly after a UConn score.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Grimes left because he was going back to auburn and making $100,000+ more than he did up here lol.

And because he gets to coach at Auburn haha. They're playing in front of 90k tonight, I'm sure that's much more enjoyable than playing at the Rent

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You got your wish. Before the TD in the last minute UConn scored 7 times. SMU followed up those 7 scores with 6 TD's and 1 punt. If you take out that one 11-play TD drive; the other 5 drives averaged 3 plays in 53 seconds. So basically SMU scored at will and made it a point to do quickly after a UConn score.

That is what probably pisses me off the most from today's game.

Offense consistently responded to SMU scores and defense continued to get slaughtered. Atone point announcers said SMU had 4 TD drives of four plays or less.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
That is what probably pisses me off the most from today's game.

Offense consistently responded to SMU scores and defense continued to get slaughtered. Atone point announcers said SMU had 4 TD drives of four plays or less.

Absolutely nothing our offense can do. It’s impossjble for us to win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. Grimes left for a ton more money-only an idiot would have stayed with that choice
2.Family "stuff" does come into play - unless you lived under their roof (that's scary for them) you know nothing about it
3. AD David Benedict should have done a better job in reading the tea leaves when it came to Lashlee but then again DB is not the sharpest tool in the shed

Reaction Score
Gotta pay to play. Youve got keep those that perform: Grimes, Lashlee...dumb those that don’t. Continuous improvement applies to staff as well as players.

C

Chief00

1. Grimes left for a ton more money-only an idiot would have stayed with that choice
2.Family "stuff" does come into play - unless you lived under their roof (that's scary for them) you know nothing about it
3. AD David Benedict should have done a better job in reading the tea leaves when it came to Lashlee but then again DB is not the sharpest tool in the shed

He should have hired Lashlee as head coach, let him hire his staff and gone from there. Our recruiting would be much better and football more watchable.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
SMU “only” got 594 yards today — just the third team we’ve held under 600 yards all season.

Rhett’s a good coordinator, but he’s not God’s gift.

C

Chief00

SMU “only” got 594 yards today — just the third team we’ve held under 600 yards all season.

Rhett’s a good coordinator, but he’s not God’s gift.

62 points and 594 yards is not enough.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Look. We suck, Chief. Purple Stein’s not debating the point. Purple Stein’s only point is that Rhett’s offense was not notably better than any other we’ve played and was, by one metric, vaguely substandard.

Purple Stein thinks anyone can dial up 600 yards against us. Rhett, maybe because he has a soft spot for RE 2.0, only dialed up 594 :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom