Las Vegas daytime activities | The Boneyard

Las Vegas daytime activities

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So I'm off to Las Vegas Thursday. My evenings are packed with three concerts. Cheap Trick Thursday, U2 at the Sphere Friday and....um Barry Manilow on Saturday. Yes, lame. But my wife met him a couple of times back in the 70s and wanted to see him. I'm sure he's a good entertainer. I'll be at Palms Thursday and Venetian Fri-Sat.

Daytime I will do some gambling, but I don't' want to just sit at blackjack tables or stand at craps tables for too long (unless I'm winning). I considered the Punk Rock Museum. There are lots of places to eat, shop and drink but I'd rather do something more unique to Las Vegas. Any suggestions in the general area of the strip? I could Uber/Cab downtown, but don't want to travel too far. We did the Hoover dam 20 years ago, it was 105. Any casual dining places (especially lunch) that are recommended?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We went to Red Rock Canyon to kill time once before we started on the drinking and gambling.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've never been to the Mob Museum, but it sounds like something to see, given it's LV.

IIRC, there's also a place that offers indoor skydiving.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've never been to the Mob Museum, but it sounds like something to see, given it's LV.

IIRC, there's also a place that offers indoor skydiving.
Mob Museum was up there with Punk Rock museum on my list. Looked pretty cool.

Reaction Score
The TopGolf at MGM is awesome. Highly recommend that.

And Barry Manilow is awesome in concert. 2+ hours of singalong hits one after the other. Exceptional entertainer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The TopGolf at MGM is awesome. Highly recommend that.

And Barry Manilow is awesome in concert. 2+ hours of singalong hits one after the other. Exceptional entertainer.
That's what my wife said. She wasn't wrong about others like Tom Jones (probably the best show I've ever seen relative to expectations). Cheap Trick is special for us. We went to Las Vegas 21 years ago in July, saw Cheap Trick in the Mandalay Bay swimming pool/stage. Daughter was born 9 months later. This trip was about U2 at the Sphere, added Manilow and only realized Cheap Trick was playing a week ago and bought tickets (show starts at 11 our time, so we'll need a lot of caffeine).

Is Top Golf different in Vegas than elsewhere?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@HooperScooper, @karstenkibbe trying not to pollute the other thread with Vegas stuff. So is that brewery really worth the trip on its own? There's nothing else around it. I hoped the one in the Venetian would at least not suck.

Reaction Score
That's what my wife said. She wasn't wrong about others like Tom Jones (probably the best show I've ever seen relative to expectations). Cheap Trick is special for us. We went to Las Vegas 21 years ago in July, saw Cheap Trick in the Mandalay Bay swimming pool/stage. Daughter was born 9 months later. This trip was about U2 at the Sphere, added Manilow and only realized Cheap Trick was playing a week ago and bought tickets (show starts at 11 our time, so we'll need a lot of caffeine).

Is Top Golf different in Vegas than elsewhere?
The view is super cool and it’s nicer than the one I went to in Georgia. Not sure what else to say?

Reaction Score
@HooperScooper, @karstenkibbe trying not to pollute the other thread with Vegas stuff. So is that brewery really worth the trip on its own? There's nothing else around it. I hoped the one in the Venetian would at least not suck.
Oh it sucked. It's more a casual restaurant than a brewery.

I didn't go to Beer Zombies. Looks decent but nothing compared to what we have around here. Probably not worth the extra trip.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Oh it sucked. It's more a casual restaurant than a brewery.

I didn't go to Beer Zombies. Looks decent but nothing compared to what we have around here. Probably not worth the extra trip.
I probably need the casual restaurant part, but was hoping the beer wouldn't be bad. There's another spot a little down the strip which has a large tap list and rooftop restaurant. May try that.

Reaction Score
If it’s a schlep, don’t go. They sometimes have exception guest taps and Cantillon bottles. Their own beers are solid. Specialize in IPAs. But nothing you won’t get back in Mass.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I probably need the casual restaurant part, but was hoping the beer wouldn't be bad. There's another spot a little down the strip which has a large tap list and rooftop restaurant. May try that.
Brew Dog that was linked in the other thread actually looks like it would be worth going to.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Brew Dog that was linked in the other thread actually looks like it would be worth going to.
Yeah, I looked at that. I know those beers. Scottish brewery. That's how I found this place not far from it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cheap Trick is special for us. We went to Las Vegas 21 years ago in July, saw Cheap Trick in the Mandalay Bay swimming pool/stage. Daughter was born 9 months later.
I would love to see them headline, I've only caught them as openers. Zander still has the pipes. Good luck with Barry, his material is rough.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would love to see them headline, I've only caught them as openers. Zander still has the pipes. Good luck with Barry, his material is rough.
I've seen them several times, as headliner and opener. They were always a good live band. Zander can sing, but they also let him rest his voice for a song before they do The Flame. Nielsen's kid is in the band now, and Robin's kid sometimes joins them too (he's really quite good).

Reaction Score
I like to go up to Mt Charleston. Small little Alpine town up above LV. You will need a car. Stop at the Inn just at the beginning of settlement for a couple of Bloody Mary's. Continue up till the end and have lunch. Like to hike? Lot's of trails up there.

95 north towards Reno, left on 157 straight to Mt C

Notice, after driving uphill for 7-8 miles the sticks on the side of the road? Snow plow markers...who-da thought. Yes there is a small ski area up there.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. He’s going to Las Vegas and the advice is to drive outside Las Vegas and hike? Just go to Yellowstone then.

Go to StadiumSwim and watch college football and relax. Get a spa pass and do some self care. Take an edible and go to the botanical garden at Bellagio. Go indoor skydiving. Walk the strip, day drink and let the day lead you where you want to go.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Go to StadiumSwim and watch college football and relax. Get a spa pass and do some self care. Take an edible and go to the botanical garden at Bellagio. Go indoor skydiving. Walk the strip, day drink and let the day lead you where you want to go.
Nothing wrong with getting some fresh air before you go in for another round.

Reaction Score
I like to go up to Mt Charleston. Small little Alpine town up above LV. You will need a car. Stop at the Inn just at the beginning of settlement for a couple of Bloody Mary's. Continue up till the end and have lunch. Like to hike? Lot's of trails up there.

95 north towards Reno, left on 157 straight to Mt C

Notice, after driving uphill for 7-8 miles the sticks on the side of the road? Snow plow markers...who-da thought. Yes there is a small ski area up there.
I was just in Vegas and there was a local news report how bad the roads are in Mr. Charleston. Rain washed out most of them and you have to be a resident to even get in there. Residents have no running water. So check before you go, but I don't think you will be able to get in there.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Hover Dam was a huge disappointment, but if you buy a hotdog at their snack bar you'll get a bumper sticker that says, "I just ate a dam dog."

Helicopter ride to see Grand Canyon is impressive, but expensive. Rafting the Colorado is worth it. Don't do the donkey trip down to the Gand Canyon floor. Scary as hell and you won't be able to sit for a week. Looking for bodies where lake Meade used to be is probably now a thing.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don’t know. He’s going to Las Vegas and the advice is to drive outside Las Vegas and hike? Just go to Yellowstone then.

I don’t have a car. I’m not renting a car. I’ve been here before. When you live in San Jose like I did it’s a cheap quick flight. Still didn’t hike because I could do that in the Santa Cruz mountains among the redwoods. So I’ve done the damn and I’ve gone out to the Red Rock canyon on past trips. Most I’m going to do is Uber to spots in the city. Went by Thomas and Mack arena on the way in, so there‘s some college basketball history.

Cheap Trick was terrific. The Pearl Theater is a very nice venue.

IMG_2097.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom