Reaction Score
85-77 Aces final

McBride 24 pts, 7 reb, 9 ast, 1 blk
Wilson 11 pts, 15 reb, 5 ast, 1 stl, 4 blk

Whalen 22 pts, 6 reb, 5 ast
Fowles 7 pts, 17 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl

Carolyn Swords contributed w a double double -
11pts, 5-5 shooting, 11 rebounds. Amazing. Aces are becoming a machine

Tamara Young (least favorite player outside of Coffey/Nared) had 13 points with 5 turnovers and a zero plus/minus

Whalen feasted on Plum. She’s huge next to Plum bulk wise. Plum had a +11 highest on team

With one more assist for McBride the Aces would have had 3 players with double doubles

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Aces are for real! 10-12, winning quite regularly now. Somebody forgot to tell them they were supposed to be playing their way to another lottery pick this season. Did it w/ Wilson having a tough shooting night (4-16), Fowles probably had something to do with that. Whalen and Augustus had good nights but not enough from Moore and Big Syl.

The standings are really compressed. The top 9 teams are within 5 1/2 games of each other. Chicago and NY several games further back, and then there is Indiana.

Reaction Score
The Aces are for real! 10-12, winning quite regularly now. Somebody forgot to tell them they were supposed to be playing their way to another lottery pick this season. Did it w/ Wilson having a tough shooting night (4-16), Fowles probably had something to do with that. Whalen and Augustus had good nights but not enough from Moore and Big Syl.

The standings are really compressed. The top 9 teams are within 5 1/2 games of each other. Chicago and NY several games further back, and then there is Indiana.
Even with a bad shooting night Wilson still managed two very big baskets in final 1:30 to keep Lynx at bay.

Reaction Score
Aces beat Lynx in Minnesota, but they're no closer to a playoff berth, as the Sun and the Dream both won. Swords mishandled a couple of passes, but overall had a very good game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If nothing else, this game has to be a tremendous morale and confidence booster for the Aces. To beat the reigning champions on the road is huge. If they can beat the Lynx, they've got to approach every game the remainder of the season thinking that they can win.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Aces beat Lynx in Minnesota, but they're no closer to a playoff berth, as the Sun and the Dream both won. Swords mishandled a couple of passes, but overall had a very good game.

Dream had a gimme win over Indiana, so being able to win at the Lynx maintain their position is solid.

Vegas still has 2 games left against Indiana that should be "gimme" wins while neither Connecticut or Atlanta has any other games against the Fever. If you pencil in Vegas winning both, they're just a half game back from Connecticut and a game back from Atlanta.

Last game of the season is Aces vs. Dream which could be a battle for a playoff spot.

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched all of the games but I believe the aces are 4-1 since the return of Jefferson. Definitely helps win games when there is no drop off in the PG position when you go to the bench (likely even an upgrade).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Aces look very good. Wilson has been solid, KMac is on a tear, Plum is learning to play in the W, Moriah is shedding the rust, and Swords had a double-double. OMG!

The Lynx seem to get contributions from Maya and Syl or occasionall, like last night, from Seimone and Lindsay, but they rarely fire on all cylinders. Shooting under 40% doesn’t get them many wins.

Is Las Vegas a top-5 team? A top 2-3 team??

Reaction Score
The Aces look very good. Wilson has been solid

More than just solid. Can you say MVP?

Swords had a double-double. OMG!

I think Laimbeer not being able to figure out who is his starting center is a strong indication where they need to draft or get a stronger free agent. His team is probably playing themselves out of a top 2 draft pick. I wonder if he’d be able to trade up to a top 2. Of course, Gustafson is very intriguing center prospect.

The Lynx seem to get contributions from Maya and Syl or occasionall, like last night, from Seimone and Lindsay, but they rarely fire on all cylinders. Shooting under 40% doesn’t get them many wins.

I think the Lynx are vulnerable to the exuberance coming from these young teams that keep can running at them.

Whoa, baby steps. Let’s see if they can make the playoffs first. Seems like they need a team to stumble for that to happen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
More than just solid. Can you say MVP?

I think Laimbeer not being able to figure out who is his starting center is a strong indication where they need to draft or get a stronger free agent. His team is probably playing themselves out of a top 2 draft pick. I wonder if he’d be able to trade up to a top 2. Of course, Gustafson is very intriguing center prospect.

I think the Lynx are vulnerable to the exuberance coming from these young teams that keep can running at them.

Whoa, baby steps. Let’s see if they can make the playoffs first. Seems like they need a team to stumble for that to happen.

When the Aces had 14 games left, I said that in order for them to have any kind of chance to make the playoffs, they had to win at least 10 of them, and get some help. So far so good. They're 2-0 (4 game win streak) on that road to 10 wins.

The Sparks and Aces have split their first two meetings this year. The Aces beat the Sparks 94-78 their last meeting in Las Vegas, as LA was playing a back to back game following a 81-72 road lost to the Storm the night before. LA returned the favor with a 87-71 win at home 2 days later.

I'll be at their game tomorrow afternoon when they host the Sparks. I'm looking forward to seeing Jefferson in action in person. This is a game the Aces need more than LA does. The Sparks are assured of making the playoffs. This is the last meeting of the year between these two teams. The Sparks are currently in 5th place at 13-9.

The Aces are 10-12, 1.5 games behind the Sun (11-10) for the final playoff spot. The Lynx (12-9), Dream (11-9) and the Sun (11-10) are close enough to "fall back" to them before the end of the season. That's where the "help" I mentioned would have to come in. If any one of these teams should stumble and fall during the "home stretch" run of the final two weeks, that could be the opening for that last playoff spot the Aces need. There are 36 days left in the regular season. This includes time off for the 2018 WNBA All-Star game 2 weeks from today.

The Verizon WNBA All-Star 2018, the league’s mid-season showcase, will be played on Saturday, July 28 in Minneapolis. This marks the first time the Twin Cities and the Lynx, which has appeared in the WNBA Finals in five of the last six seasons, will host the All-Star Game. Tip-off is set for 3:30 p.m. est. Last day of the regular season is Sunday August 19. Playoffs begin August 21.

Things could get real interesting this last month of the season. Don't grab for that towel just yet, stay tuned. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A’ja wasn’t the MVP last night. I still have Stewie and maybe Diana ahead of her. Maybe others. KMac isn’t too far behind.

I don’t think last night’s game was a fluke. Vegas had a bad start to the season, but I think they can play with anyone. They could go 10-4 to finish. I think they are a top-6 team.

Reaction Score
If the Aces make it to .500 for the season, I’ll be pushing hard for Wilson being the MVP. It’ll be a great story for the league.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If the Aces make it to .500 for the season, I’ll be pushing hard for Wilson being the MVP. It’ll be a great story for the league.
There is nothing wrong with being top 3 in the MVP race, especially for a rookie.

Who is COY? Bill or Dan?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with being top 3 in the MVP race, especially for a rookie.

Nothing wrong with winning it either. Nobody will remember third place.

Who is COY? Bill or Dan?

I guess that’s a similar argument to Stewart vs Wilson. We’ll see where the sentiment is at if Vegas can make it to .500 or better.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with winning it either. Nobody will remember third place.

I guess that’s a similar argument to Stewart vs Wilson. We’ll see where the sentiment is at if Vegas can make it to .500 or better.
Loyd has fallen off the face of the earth the last 15 games, where McBride is in the conversation for best shooting guard in the league.

Reaction Score
MVP should be Stewart, as of the most recent games played. It's still impressive that Wilson is having such a comparable season to Stewart in her rookie season compared to Stewart's 3rd.

Wilson will be a monster going forward. McBride should be am All-Star with Wilson this year. I can see them making the playoffs. This next year's draft should be pretty deep, so they can still find their next starter caliber player if they finish towards the bottom of the playoffs.

The coach of the year is Lambeer no doubt. His absence in NY shows, they are terrible this year. They have the talent to have a better record than the Aces.

Reaction Score
The Aces look very good. Wilson has been solid, KMac is on a tear, Plum is learning to play in the W, Moriah is shedding the rust, and Swords had a double-double. OMG!

That’s a good point about Lynx rarely firing on all cylinders. Didn’t they look kind of slow verse Aces? Even Maya. But I thought she was slowing down last year and look what she did. Maybe it’s just her workmanlike style. Not having Brunson was a gift for the Aces too. Reeves did some job getting a title out of her team last year.

Reaction Score
The Lynx had a great bench last year. This year it’s not so great. A great bench is more important in this compacted season, but they don’t have a great bench. Fowles and Maya can try to shoulder the whole load, but it doesn’t always work out since those two can become an even bigger focus of the defenses without too much problem.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie had 35 and 10 in yet another Seattle win last night. She’s distancing herself from the competition, even A’ja.

Reaction Score
Watched the replay. Someone doing video penciled across the screen “Roll Tide!” twice early in the game. ....that someone’s in trouble me thinks....:)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A'ja isn't a top MVP candidate at this point. Both her and McBride are on the outside looking in even though both are having very good seasons. Hard to see anyone other than Stewart winning it right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom