Las Vegas Aces @ Dallas Wings - 8/17/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Las Vegas Aces @ Dallas Wings - 8/17/18

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You like them...as long as they don't dare have any opinions about the league they play in...or the appropriate compensation for their labor...

Ok then...

I'm amazed by the outright contempt some people here have for WNBA players.

Nope, not the case at all...appreciate you jumping to that conclusion for me though.

I do not have a problem with them making statements or voicing their opinions, but statements such as “looking for my million because at how big Lebron’s contract was” or, “it’s unsafe to play because we haven’t had a good night of sleep so we’re forfeiting” make me less likely to root for them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As bad as I want the Aces to land a shooter in KLS, this game really showed me that they badly need a post. Wilson doesn’t have any help down low offensively or defensively. Brown or McCowan would have been huge this game! Hopefully one is still on the board when it’s the Aces turn to select next draft.

You're right. Wilson is no more a post player than Azura Stevens is. If either Brown or McCowan are available when the Aces are on the clock next year, they should grab one. I doubt BOTH will still be on the board at that time. One of them might be, depending on the teams needs that draft before them.

This discussion has come up a few times on various threads. Some thoughts:

- Agree that Wilson needs help down low, particularly on the defensive and rebounding fronts (although some form of dependable offensive production would be helpful).

- However, the player of choice needs to be complementary to Wilson's game, which largely consists of forays into/through the lane (drives, pull-up jumpers).

While her pairing with Ms. Coates at South Carolina was positive, the team went on it's run when Wilson had reign over the lane. (At South Carolina, it allowed Davis to drive into space, something Davis liked to do, as do McBride and Plum with the Aces.)

So, are McCowan and/or Brown the right kind of centers to work with Wilson? I'm not so sure, given the lack of mobility of what I've seen of McCowan on offense. Brown is advanced in many offensive areas, but would like to see a bit more grit in her game

- The Aces also need another medium- to outside threat to take attention away from McBride.
So, the obvious choice is go high with either a wing (KLS) or center, then see what happens.

Here's another thought:

- Take KLS with the high pick.
- Package either Plum or MoJeff (and others if need be) to procure another high pick and find a defensive/rebounding/agile center to work with Wilson. That player could be Brianna Turner, who rebounds, blocks shots and runs the floor well. Or, if you don't want to send away your guards, look latere at a Hallie Thome, who is a smart, complementary player.

Just another way(s) of looking at it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
McBride looked totatly gassed towards to end. Hope Moriah’s ankle is ok.
...they could use Collier....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Nope, not the case at all...appreciate you jumping to that conclusion for me though.

I do not have a problem with them making statements or voicing their opinions, but statements such as “looking for my million because at how big Lebron’s contract was” or, “it’s unsafe to play because we haven’t had a good night of sleep so we’re forfeiting” make me less likely to root for them.

A top female player saying she would like to make 1/150th of what the top male player make is "whining"?

As for the forfeit, I'm with Jalen Rose - "fatigue is when you get hurt"

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A top female player saying she would like to make 1/150th of what the top male player make is "whining"?

As for the forfeit, I'm with Jalen Rose - "fatigue is when you get hurt"

That may not be whining but it definitely is entitlement if it's anything more than a tongue in cheek comment. Why does she think she deserves to be paid that much? Where does she think the money is going to come from to pay her that? I have no problem with players vocalizing that they want better pay or chartered flights, but come forth with a strong argument stating why the change is necessary and most important, how it's going to happen...the main point being, where is the money coming from to make the change?

A good step in the first direction for star players is to request new salary caps that allow teams to play their stars more than the $115k/year limit that most players on the roster come close to unless they're on a rookie contract.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This discussion has come up a few times on various threads. Some thoughts:

- Agree that Wilson needs help down low, particularly on the defensive and rebounding fronts (although some form of dependable offensive production would be helpful).

- However, the player of choice needs to be complementary to Wilson's game, which largely consists of forays into/through the lane (drives, pull-up jumpers).

While her pairing with Ms. Coates at South Carolina was positive, the team went on it's run when Wilson had reign over the lane. (At South Carolina, it allowed Davis to drive into space, something Davis liked to do, as do McBride and Plum with the Aces.)

So, are McCowan and/or Brown the right kind of centers to work with Wilson? I'm not so sure, given the lack of mobility of what I've seen of McCowan on offense. Brown is advanced in many offensive areas, but would like to see a bit more grit in her game

- The Aces also need another medium- to outside threat to take attention away from McBride.
So, the obvious choice is go high with either a wing (KLS) or center, then see what happens.

Here's another thought:

- Take KLS with the high pick.
- Package either Plum or MoJeff (and others if need be) to procure another high pick and find a defensive/rebounding/agile center to work with Wilson. That player could be Brianna Turner, who rebounds, blocks shots and runs the floor well. Or, if you don't want to send away your guards, look latere at a Hallie Thome, who is a smart, complementary player.

Just another way(s) of looking at it.

There's more than one way to fix this. Your thoughts have merit. Hopefully Laimbeer will figure it out, and bring in additional players that can blend in with the players already there, and compliment their game. This will be year 2 for trader Bill in the rebuilding process of this franchise.

You know more changes are coming. They are trending in the right direction. They won 6 more games than they did last year. The 2019 WNBA draft should prove deeper than 2018.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom