Las Vegas Aces @ Chicago Sky - 7/10/18

Reaction Score
49-35 Aces at the half

Young 11 pts, 4 reb, 1 ast

DeShields 11 pts, 1 reb, 1 stl

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Rough game for the Sky. Sloot is making great passes but no one can make the jumper or layup.

Lots of AAU teams in attendance. Niele Ivey and Beth Cunningham are also here. Niele is chatting with Jewell Loyd's mom during halftime.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley also here sitting courtside.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stats aren't everything, but based on box scores it's looking like Plum is finding her groove the last several weeks. Jefferson returning doesn't seem to be effecting her negatively. Hopefully they can coexist and both thrive with the team moving forward.

Aces are creeping up toward .500. Maybe a bit ahead of schedule on rebuilding?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Stats aren't everything, but based on box scores it's looking like Plum is finding her groove the last several weeks. Jefferson returning doesn't seem to be effecting her negatively. Hopefully they can coexist and both thrive with the team moving forward.

It’s playing out how i mentioned in another thread some time ago speculating MoJeffs return. Moriah is a natural PG. Plum and McBride are shooters on the wings. It’s really gonna open up the inside for Wilson/Bone/Swords yo operate. I think it will be a positive for them.

Reaction Score
As an Aces fan I was concerned about how well Jefferson would play and fit in. No doubt the team is playing more confident.
They’ve won 4 of last 5 and 8 of 13.
Impressive. They won a road game tonight like it was nothing. Good sign.
Swords bless her heart. Gabby stripped her of the ball at the high post and took it for an easy layup.
Wings and Stars were my teams last year. Now I can’t pull for Diggens. She doesn’t wear well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One big reason why they have turned their season around is the emergence of Kmac. She was having a quiet start to the season, and now she has started to come alive. Her and Wilson have created a high-scoring duo. Plum has also been picking it up lately. The future is bright, especially considering MoJeff is only going to get better this season!

Reaction Score
What’s going on with Dolson? She was terrific last year and earlier this year. She was what made Chicago go when they did. 1-9 tonight and not playing well recently

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Right after I wrote her off, Plum is proving me wrong. She's been excellent during this stretch. I think Vegas is definitely one of the 8 best teams in the league with this roster. KMac is playing like an MVP candidate right now. Time will tell if they can catch Atlanta or Connecticut.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As an Aces fan I was concerned about how well Jefferson would play and fit in. No doubt the team is playing more confident.
They’ve won 4 of last 5 and 8 of 13.
Impressive. They won a road game tonight like it was nothing. Good sign.
Swords bless her heart. Gabby stripped her of the ball at the high post and took it for an easy layup.
Wings and Stars were my teams last year. Now I can’t pull for Diggens. She doesn’t wear well.

I like the Wings and Aces too. My son is going to treat me to the Aces game this Sunday in Las Vegas. We're here watching the summer league games. This is the place to be this week if you like basketball. NBA coaches , GM's and players everywhere, just walking around between the two arenas, mixing with the fans like it's an everyday thing.

Lots of little kids here with basketballs getting player's autographs. Lots of high flying action. Some of these guys can ball, A lot of dunks and above the rim blocks. Once you're inside, you can sit anywhere you choose. It's very hot here, 105+ everyday. It does not get below 84 at night.

The Aces won their 9th game of the season tonight, surpassing their number of wins the last two years. A 24 point win over the Sky was very impressive. If they can keep this momentum going, they can make the playoffs this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wonder how many better coaches were in the building than Stocks. At least Ivey, Staley, and Laimbeer.

Honestly at this point I don't even really rate Stocks over Warlick, who was also in attendance.

So, does Stocks return next year? I agree that with the talent on that roster, they should have won more games to this point. To not rate her over Warlick is a serious indictment. :eek: Trader Bill sure as the Aces headed in the right direction, and trending upward toward a possible playoff spot, IF............Dallas and Minnesota were to help by falling back towards them.

With 13 games left, the Aces (currently at the bottom of the Western Conference standings) need to win at least 10 of them and then hope for help to have any chance to qualify for post-season play. It's too early to throw in the towel, but form here on out, each game has playoff implications for them. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
What’s going on with Dolson? She was terrific last year and earlier this year. She was what made Chicago go when they did. 1-9 tonight and not playing well recently

I am wondering myself. It seems to me the coach is not utilizing Stef the same way , she did last year. THey have no continuity on offense or defense because of her substitution pattern. One night plays 7 players most of the game the night she playing 10 players. No consistent sub pattern. Linae Harper was waived the resigned a couple days later. Two games ago she played well, the next game she is the first player off the bench, are you kidding me. Gabby started all but the last two game and she was the fourth player off the bench. I liked Amber Stocks last year , but this year she does not have a good feel for her team and it shows.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am wondering myself. It seems to me the coach is not utilizing Stef the same way , she did last year. THey have no continuity on offense or defense because of her substitution pattern. One night plays 7 players most of the game the night she playing 10 players. No consistent sub pattern. Linae Harper was waived the resigned a couple days later. Two games ago she played well, the next game she is the first player off the bench, are you kidding me. Gabby started all but the last two game and she was the fourth player off the bench. I liked Amber Stocks last year , but this year she does not have a good feel for her team and it shows.

Do you see any resemblance between the Sky and the Liberty?, I do. :confused:

Reaction Score
Scoop, they say great minds think a like. My mind is not as great as yours, but I had the same thought recently. Charles and Dolson are pretty consistent producers. The rest of teams are not offensively consistent.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

All true, but I don't think lineup tinkering explains why Stef couldn't make any of the several open jumpers she had last night. Either she's just on an unfortunate cold streak or she's still somewhat injured.

The effort is definitely there. Her defense on Fowles was key to Chicago's win on Friday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It’s just a matter of getting back in to shape at this point, of course going up against Wilson doesn’t help either.

Reaction Score
I liked Stocks last year too. Thought she had the team looking crisp with what they had. They are definitely not as sharp this year.

Reaction Score
Right after I wrote her off, Plum is proving me wrong. She's been excellent during this stretch. I think Vegas is definitely one of the 8 best teams in the league with this roster. KMac is playing like an MVP candidate right now. Time will tell if they can catch Atlanta or Connecticut.
I was writing her off too. Another reminder how bad a GM I would be. She can still look bad but she’s making more positive plays and when she hits her shots she helps. Like Bill told her, “hit 40% or you don’t play.” That’s pretty direct.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was writing her off too. Another reminder how bad a GM I would be. She can still look bad but she’s making more positive plays and when she hits her shots she helps. Like Bill told her, “hit 40% or you don’t play.” That’s pretty direct.

Kelsey's reply was probably. Coach, what if I hit 60%? Never take me out. She is really consistent over the last 3 weeks or so.

Reaction Score
All true, but I don't think lineup tinkering explains why Stef couldn't make any of the several open jumpers she had last night. Either she's just on an unfortunate cold streak or she's still somewhat injured.

The effort is definitely there. Her defense on Fowles was key to Chicago's win on Friday.
Stef did have areally off night shooting. But this year she is hardly ever posting down low, where 75% of her shots were last year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kelsey's reply was probably. Coach, what if I hit 60%? Never take me out. She is really consistent over the last 3 weeks or so.

You aren't kidding. I saw the game against the Liberty on 6/22 when she wasn't particularly productive. Since then she's hit 29-52 (56%) overall and 14-24 (58%) behind the arc over a 7 game stretch. Only 1 game where she was under .500 (3-7). Not taking a high volume of shots but she's hitting them. Also A/TO ratio is almost 3:1 for the season (71/25). Wilson and McBride are obviously the focal points of the offense but I'd say she's putting together a nice season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom