Larry McHugh | The Boneyard

Larry McHugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those of you who will go to home games for the rest of the season..if you see McHugh feel free to give him a piece of your mind and let him know what a GREAT job his friends have done ruining our program! I'm going to make sure I let him know! And if I see Malloy in my section again I will definitely be letting him know what a GREAT job McHugh has done...and that he should get rid of McHugh, Herbst, and Manuel!

Reaction Score
Rant all you want but our woes belong exclusively to Mc Hugh, not JH, Susan , or Ward. Mc and PP go back 30 years and obviously he was the Rabbi in all this. By the way only if you opposed the hiring from DAY 1 do you have a right to complain. Me?? I was at the Nova BB game at Gampel when after being announced PP went into the stands for 10 minutes high fiving the students. Sadly it was all downhill from there.!!!!!:( I thought he was a great choice. Today I think he is a decent man who prob wiill be leaving us soon. NEXT!!!

Reaction Score
Rant all you want but our woes belong exclusively to Mc Hugh, not JH, Susan , or Ward. Mc and PP go back 30 years and obviously he was the Rabbi in all this. By the way only if you opposed the hiring from DAY 1 do you have a right to complain. Me?? I was at the Nova BB game at Gampel when after being announced PP went into the stands for 10 minutes high fiving the students. Sadly it was all downhill from there.!!!!!:( I thought he was a great choice. Today I think he is a decent man who prob wiill be leaving us soon. NEXT!!!
I'm on record as wanting Bradley then McGee. I thought this was a horrible hire by a guy in WAY over his head as an AD.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I had a sick feeling in my stomach on the hire from when it was announced until I saw a replay of his introductory press conference (I believe it was a Friday evening).

He actually had me believing at that point that he could maintain what we had been building and possibly improve things slightly. I didn't see it as a great hire but I no longer was resigned to believing it was a disaster.

By the Iowa St game (which was less than a week after the Vandy game) I realized that the best we could hope for was to maintain basically what we had from 2007-2009 for four or five years and then start fresh with a young, energetic HC, basically spending half a decade on treadmill and then trying to improve the program. By the WMU game at the Rent I wanted him gone, by the game last year at Cuse I wanted him and GDL hospitalized but as much as I despised where we were going and as little hope as I had for what they could do for this program, I never could have anticipated what we've seen this year. I don't think he could have done a better job of running this program into the ground if that was his goal from the day he took the job. I still don't believe that we've gotten this bad this quickly.

Reaction Score
I'll be honest. I don't know Larry McHugh from Collin McHugh, and would have never heard his name if it wasn't for this board, but everyone involved with UCONN, from the governor, to McHugh, to Herbst, to Warde, have to open their eyes and see that this will not start getting better until they admit that P was a mistake, and make a change. Im seriously considering not even going go USF. Normally I'd feel bad not supporting the players, but that effort yesterday had me questioning a lot of things.

Reaction Score
I feel strongly deceived.

When August started, I thought we had crept up to where people in authority knew the issues ... And they had addressed them. A little patch job. We'd have an experienced QB & OL. We'd compete & go bowling.

Everyone in that inner circle has to feel awful. This is far different than just competitive. Confusion. Lack of confidence. Poor talent in key roles.

We tried to extend the good components of HCRE. That was a mistake.

Reaction Score
duckk this snotty dou*he. Someone send him to Arizona.

Reaction Score
I feel strongly deceived.

When August started, I thought we had crept up to where people in authority knew the issues ... And they had addressed them. A little patch job. We'd have an experienced QB & OL. We'd compete & go bowling.

Everyone in that inner circle has to feel awful. This is far different than just competitive. Confusion. Lack of confidence. Poor talent in key roles.

We tried to extend the good components of HCRE. That was a mistake.

I agree that the inner circle has to feel terrible, but I don't agree that we couldn't extend the good components of HCRE. I think PP could have succeeded at UConn if he had hired a young and energetic offensive coordinator when he was hired. Instead, he hired GDL, a long time friend and who had very little college success at OC, as his OC. To make matters worse, he let GDL take over coaching the OLine and changed the schemes.

Reaction Score
The thing about McHugh is when it comes to non-football stuff he has actually done a lot of good for the school. If there had been a strong president and AD in place when Randy left, maybe he wouldn't have inserted himself into the process. His mistake was listening to and enabling his buddies in the CT HS FB coaches assn and let them hijack the hiring process. Read here for all the glowing recommendations they gave P on hiring day. "He's one of us". Yes, he has certainly proven that.

Reaction Score
The thing about McHugh is when it comes to non-football stuff he has actually done a lot of good for the school. If there had been a strong president and AD in place when Randy left, maybe he wouldn't have inserted himself into the process. His mistake was listening to and enabling his buddies in the CT HS FB coaches assn and let them hijack the hiring process. Read here for all the glowing recommendations they gave P on hiring day. "He's one of us". Yes, he has certainly proven that.
That is all well and good Ruskin...but you can't take away that he had a BIG hand in doing! I was a HUGE fan of his for calling Hathaway out for the terrible job he did here as AD. I can see Hathaway taking McHugh's recomendation of Pasqualoni as a way to save his job and get McHugh off his back..I get that..and thank god that a_s_shat ducku_*kstick is gone. But McHugh has to take ownership of this too!!! So doesn't Herbst...because if this goes south and tanks...the $2 billion she just got will be the last $$$ she EVER see's here as President of UCONN!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hiring a coach to appease the Connecticut High School Football Coaches Association is like hiring a basketball coach to appease the Connecticut High School Basketball Coaches Association.

How about hiring a coach who is well-liked by the New Jersey and Pennsylvania and Virginia and Maryland coaches...you know, places where there's a reliable stream of FBS talent?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As badly as we want to publicly watch P get tarred and feathered I imagine that McHugh views his largest non professional role at the moment is making sure that this does not happen to his friend.

We will win this battle. Our Christmas gift from the UConn athletic department will be a new man in charge of the football program. Yes, it will suck from today until the day an official announcement is made on the new head coach and the only positive we have to look forward to is the official termination of P (and GDL). As difficult as it will be we need to have a little patience, It will be rewarded.

Reaction Score
As badly as we want to publicly watch P get tarred and feathered I imagine that McHugh views his largest non professional role at the moment is making sure that this does not happen to his friend.

We will win this battle. Our Christmas gift from the UConn athletic department will be a new man in charge of the football program. Yes, it will suck from today until the day an official announcement is made on the new head coach and the only positive we have to look forward to is the official termination of P (and GDL). As difficult as it will be we need to have a little patience, It will be rewarded.

The fact that he remained after last year proves we lost that battle and every day until then is just confirmation for those digging their heels in that in some universe of their own making, that they still know best. The record says otherwise.

Reaction Score
As difficult as it will be we need to have a little patience, It will be rewarded.

If only life had such certainties. Remember, there is no UConn admin currently in place that has successfully chosen a FBS football coach.

Frankly I feel just the opposite. Unless PP is gone soon, Warde gets an F for how he has handled the mess he inherited. I have no faith in the BoT and SH either. Why should I......

Reaction Score
If only life had such certainties. Remember, there is no UConn admin currently in place that has successfully chosen a FBS football coach.

Frankly I feel just the opposite. Unless PP is gone soon, Warde gets an F for how he has handled the mess he inherited. I have no faith in the BoT and SH either. Why should I......

You're close to where I am man. Close. I have lost complete faith in the administration when there was no announcement this morning. I honestly ahve no idea where to turn right now. The only thing that we really can do right now, is get our football alumni together.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This season is all on Warde. Not McHugh or Hathaway or Herbst. P should have been gone last December. What has happened to date was entirely predictable to anyone paying attention.

Reaction Score

If any person stands in the way of canning Pasqualoni now they should get canned now also! That should include anyone on the BOT. This abject embarrassment must end today!

Reaction Score
This season is all on Warde. Not McHugh or Hathaway or Herbst. P should have been gone last December. What has happened to date was entirely predictable to anyone paying attention.

Not saying Warde has handled this perfectly but think his superiors got in the way of him doing that last December. I think after yesterday there's a good possibility he wanted to pull the trigger but Sue/Larry are getting in the way again. At that point couldn't blame him if he'd play the "it's me or it's P" card.

Reaction Score
Honest question, can anyone say with certainty that Warde didn't want to fire Pasqualoni last year?

Is it not possible, even likely, that Manuel has to get approval from Herbst before firing him? There's a lot of money at stake here, and Pasqualoni isn't some outsider with no connections.

Isn't it possible that Manuel's hands are tied?

I don't have the answers, but I'm not sure it's fair to make the assumption that Manuel doesn't see what we see, doesn't want to act now, doesn't have a list of replacements, and is simply sitting around doing nothing.

Personally I think the blame falls on Susan and/or the BOT. She's Warde's boss, and either a) he's not doing his job, b) she's not letting him do his job. or c) they've been told they will not embarrass him by firing him mid-season and they are negotiating a buy out effective 12/8 with an announcement to follow sometime between now and then.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
c) they've been told they will not embarrass him by firing him mid-season and they are negotiating a buy out effective 12/8 with an announcement to follow sometime between now and then.
If this the reality, then UConn is done for as an athletic program. To be more concerned about embarrassing a head coach and saving some money more than worrying about embarrassing the ENTIRE program and alienating the fan base, is a major issue. I'm not saying this is true but I, for one, will have a hard time supporting this program this year and possibly beyond, should PP remain coach until 12/8.

Reaction Score
Using my non-angry brain, I think it is beyond question that there is a major dysfunction in Storrs and it is somewhere between McHugh, Herbst and Manuel. Who is the source? I don't know, but its an embarrassment to every student and the alumni. We've got a gang that is presiding over the implosion of really 30 years of painstakingly built athletic prowess. Do not think for a second that basketball is not headed the same way with the AAC, and KO will have his hands full with eroding talent. THESE MORONS ARE DESTROYING UCONN through non leadership, no vision and no experience. Small timers all around. If I hear Herbst with that stupid laugh again, I'll throw up. Ok, I lied, I'm 100% angry.

Reaction Score
If this the reality, then UConn is done for as an athletic program. To be more concerned about embarrassing a head coach and saving some money more than worrying about embarrassing the ENTIRE program and alienating the fan base, is a major issue. I'm not saying this is true but I, for one, will have a hard time supporting this program this year and possibly beyond, should PP remain coach until 12/8.

We're all pissed off now. If they don't get the next hire right, we're fcuked. If they do, we can make it back. Winning cures everything, there are plenty of coaches who can win at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom