Larry Honored Lou Wore 33

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And draft night he told her so.

See the embedded video here. He made her very happy:

And this is how the Chicago Sun Times reported the night:

Sky select Katie Lou Samuelson with fourth overall pick of 2019 WNBA Draft

"So when WNBA chief operating officer Christin Hedgpeth announced the Sky had selected Samuelson with the fourth overall pick, she was dumbfounded. In her on-camera interview with ESPN, she was shaking.

‘‘It was kind of shocking,’’ Samuelson said. ‘‘I started sweating a little bit. This is definitely something I’ve been dreaming of, especially with my sister in the league. This is something I’ve always wanted to do.’’

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
This was pretty special. Larry is not one to b.s, so quite sure he meant what he said. Imagine having Larry Bird tell you he is honored that you wore his number.

Her reaction is priceless.

How unusual that someone would idolize a player, even one as legendary as Larry, who retired as a player five years before she was born. Especially someone from the Los Angeles area, with Larry playing for the archival Celtics.

I am roughly a contemporary of Larry, a few years older, and my town rec league teammates and I idolized Larry as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I happened to be in the vicinity of this article too The Perfect Fit:

"Katie Lou Samuelson is the WNBA Draft’s most deadly three-point shooter, and now headed to the Chicago Sky as the No. 4 overall pick in the WNBA draft. The 6’3 guard/forward is able to get her shot off in an instant, create for others, and use her size to snag boards down low. She has all of the talent to become a WNBA all-star.

When “Lou” gets on a roll, the game can get out of control quickly as one drained three leads to another and another. She locks into zones of relentless confidence where she launches shots that are slightly off-balance or contested and it won’t even matter."

Katie Lou Samuelson is a perfect fit for the Chicago Sky

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What a lot of people don't know about Larry is that he originally went to Indiana University to play for Bob Knight, after being there for a short time he withdrew because he was uncomfortable with the IU campus, it was too big for him. He went back home to French Lick and got a job as a garbage truck driver and maintenance person for the city, got married and divorced, and his father committed suicide. He decided to leave and enroll to ISU and became one of the most prolific players to ever come out of Indiana.

Reaction Score
What a lot of people don't know about Larry is that he originally went to Indiana University to play for Bob Knight, after being there for a short time he withdrew because he was uncomfortable with the IU campus, it was too big for him. He went back home to French Lick and got a job as a garbage truck driver and maintenance person for the city, got married and divorced, and his father committed suicide. He decided to leave and enroll to ISU and became one of the most prolific players to ever come out of Indiana.

MSG: VERY interesting, and new to this huge Bird fan; my dad died in my arms as we were watching the 1986 Celtic parade .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I’ve just loved watching (Bird),” she said. “The stuff he does is crazy, it’s fun to watch, it’s entertaining and I think what really got me was how he might not look like he’s going to go out there and kick your butt but he’s the first one to start things. He’s not going to back down from everything and he’s going to produce after what he says.”

LA Native Katie Lou Samuelson Explains How Celtics Legend Larry Bird Became Her Favorite Player

I wonder if she's a Tom Petty fan?

It all fits with Katie Lou.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom