Larry Brown Laying Seeds To Ditch SMU Because of AAC | The Boneyard

Larry Brown Laying Seeds To Ditch SMU Because of AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really, SMU sucks. If he wants to play St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence and Georgetown, let him. Maybe he should have a talk with his AD.

The heart of the BE was Syracuse, UConn, and Georgetown. FULL STOP. The rest were merely chaff with the exception of Villanova and Pitt.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Really, SMU sucks. If he wants to play St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence and Georgetown, let him. Maybe he should have a talk with his AD.

The heart of the BE was Syracuse, UConn, and Georgetown. FULL STOP. The rest were merely chaff with the exception of Villanova and Pitt.

I think the false historical view develops from the root-for-the-little-guy mentailty.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
First off. ...he mentions Rutgers in the same sentence as UConn, Louisville, and Memphis. I stopped reading there. Go and leave Larry...don't let the door hit you on the way out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
This guy really doesn't understand that this is about football, no one gives a about SMU basketball, they're just along for the ride. This guy is insane to actually go out and get quoted in this article, what a moron.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This guy really doesn't understand that this is about football, no one gives a about SMU basketball, they're just along for the ride. This guy is insane to actually go out and get quoted in this article, what a moron.

I'm pretty sure Larry Brown completely understands. He just feels a twinge of guilt bailing on a program where he is their only hope. It's just proactively avoiding criticism.

Reaction Score
It seems like he is saying recruits won't want to play there. Isn't he recruiting well though?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I clicked after only reading, "Larry Brown Laying Seeds".

I expected a secret lovechild or at least a public indecency charge at the local rest stop. I feel slightly mislead.

Reaction Score
Fact is ...

SMU hoop is light years better now than the day before Matt Doherty was fired. Brown's brought good kids in. Their top players this year were Fr & Sophs. And there is Jankovich. Superb recruiters at coaches 3 & 4. I dunno. Looks like a Win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fact is ...

SMU hoop is light years better now than the day before Matt Doherty was fired. Brown's brought good kids in. Their top players this year were Fr & Sophs. And there is Jankovich. Superb recruiters at coaches 3 & 4. I dunno. Looks like a Win.

The fact actually is that that team finished 190th in the computers. For context that was behind DePaul, Army and Bryant. The coach is already hatching his escape plan.

Wishcasting SMU basketball to something approaching respectable is a joke. Horrible teams like Seton Hall, Providence and Boston College are literally light years better than SMU.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Larry Brown: Making Bad Decisions and Laying Seeds Since 1967.​
Yes, that's a denim mangina. Look away and never speak of this post again.​
Larry Brown.jpg

Reaction Score
Picking Larry brown to rebuild your basketball program shows you are not ready to play basketball with the big boys.

Reaction Score
The fact actually is that that team finished 190th in the computers. For context that was behind DePaul, Army and Bryant. The coach is already hatching his escape plan.

Wishcasting SMU basketball to something approaching respectable is a joke. Horrible teams like Seton Hall, Providence and Boston College are literally light years better than SMU.

Seems like you IGNORE one big deal: how awful the Program was under Matt Doherty. Wish casting is a nice phrase. What I have observed in 40 years of watching CBB, progress follows advanced recruiting fairly quick. Maybe not the first year. SMU is in good shape. No ... They wouldn't have been top 10 BE this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems like you IGNORE one big deal: how awful the Program was under Matt Doherty. Wish casting is a nice phrase. What I have observed in 40 years of watching CBB, progress follows advanced recruiting fairly quick. Maybe not the first year. SMU is in good shape. No ... They wouldn't have been top 10 BE this year.

Based on what, a million year old coach who doesn't stay anywhere long enough to get to the end of an apartment lease nevermind turn around a dreg like SMU at the exact time they step up in class.

Forget top 10. They were dead last.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
SMU is a dead end.

It's been 20 years since they were in the NCAA tournament and probably a decade since they sniffed even an NIT bid.

They have little talent and less depth - they really didn't improve from Doherty's last year. (They lost 19 last season and 17 this season.) They'll have Brown and Frazier for the coming season and then whatever little bottom they have will fall out completely.

They might be the tenth best program in the state of Texas in a given year.

Reaction Score
SMU is a dead end.

It's been 20 years since they were in the NCAA tournament and probably a decade since they sniffed even an NIT bid.

They have little talent and less depth - they really didn't improve from Doherty's last year. (They lost 19 last season and 17 this season.) They'll have Brown and Frazier for the coming season and then whatever little bottom they have will fall out completely.

They might be the tenth best program in the state of Texas in a given year.
Can you see Brown being there long enough to actually rebuild (build) anything? I shocked he lasted as long as he has.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would say that Brown is 70/30 to start next season as the SMU coach - maybe he's 50/50 to finish it as their coach.

I don't think there's much chance he's there for 2014/15.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Still a steep hill to scale... http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...rown-said-keith-frazier-signing-is-huge.html/

>>Brown got in on some quality national prospects with his first recruiting class. In the early signing period he landed the nation’s top junior college prospect in Yanick Moreira (6-11, 220) from South Plains CC, and two of Illinois’ Mr. Basketball finalists from the Chicago area in 6-4 guard Sterling Brown and 6-8 power forward Ben Moore. SMU also had three transfers who sat out last season _ Nic Moore (5-9) from Illinois State; Markus Kennedy (6-9) from Villanova and Crandall Head (6-4) from Illinois.

With the addition of Frazier, Brown’s inaugural class jumped to a No. 14 ranking by Rivals.com, just behind North Carolina. Frazier averaged 23.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 6.3 assists on Kimball’s state finalist team.<<

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, SMU b-ball sucks sewage, but they do have one redeeming feature. They've got some smokin' hot co-eds strolling through their campus in University Park.

Reaction Score
Who gives a crap about Larry Brown? His overall tenure based on Alexd's info is about 2.5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom