lamb better than advertised? espn | The Boneyard

lamb better than advertised? espn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jeremy Lamb emerged as a force late last season in UConn's run to the championship, and few players enter this season with higher expectations. The sophomore was named to the Associate Press's preseason All-American team, and will be one of the key parts to UConn's success in 2011-12.
Still, despite all this, one had to question if expectations were a bit too high for Lamb. After all, as a freshman he had the benefit of being a complimentary player to UConn's all-everything, Kemba Walker. This year, he's The Man.
Lamb erased any doubts in the Huskies' season-debut. In fact, in one game he may havejumped into the nation's consciousness as a potential player of the year candidate. The rangy 6-foot-5 swingman put up 30 points on Columbia, connecting on five 3-pointers, and shooting 11-for-17 from the field and 3-for-3 from the free throw line. He added four steals, three rebounds and two assists.
At this rate, it'd be very surprising if Lamb played at UConn beyond this season. He currently sits at No. 17 on the Big Board, but with more games like the one Friday he'll undoubtedly move into the lottery.

Reaction Score
Remember last year when Calhoun said, soon you all will hear of Jeremy Lamb? I think that has finally come true

Reaction Score
That came true 7 months ago, now its putting his name up there with the rest of UConn greats

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he is already a lottery pick. Number 17? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I can't believe this kid wasn't even a top-50 recruit. Jimmy sure knows how to find those diamonds in the rough.

Reaction Score
Ok he was better than advertised against Columbia. Can't they wait until stiff competition to make these NBA claims?

Lamb is the real deal but cupcakes are not a good barometer especially after only one game.

Reaction Score
There are quite a few so-called "pundits" that I like(Bill Raftery,Jay Bilas,Gary Parrish,Jeff Goodman,Matt Norlander, Eamon Brennan, Dana O'Neill and, yes, even Doug Gottleib to name a few). I don't always agree with them and some can,at times, be very exasperating(like Gottleib who I think does a tremendous job blending his own playing experience at a high level with an acquired knowledge base). But there are a number of opinion writers who prevail on a variety of web sites who have likely never even had a whiff of high level sports even in high school. College hoops is not unique. As a huge soccer{real football ;) } fan, I can tell you that all across the globe there are large numbers of short or fat or dumb or "pick an adjective" experts writing for some very prestigious news outlets who make you wonder if they need help signing their weekly paychecks. :confused: aND i Am dENYIng aNy iNTeNt To iNsuLT ShoRT Or fAT Or dUmB PEOple AnyWHeRe bEcAUsE i jUSt lOOkeD iN ThE mIRRor.:cool:

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT WAGNER!!!

Reaction Score
The is noting unfair about this article. Lamb scored thirty, filled the stat sheet and continues to open scouts eyes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ok he was better than advertised against Columbia. Can't they wait until stiff competition to make these NBA claims?

Lamb is the real deal but cupcakes are not a good barometer especially after only one game.
I'm hoping he continues. We'll find out soon enough whether these articles are premature. No denying that JL is smooooooth.

Reaction Score
I guess last year's Big Dance wasn't enough competition for you.
Lamb was convincing but Kemba was the reason for our success. As I said Lamb is the real deal, but to make NBA claims or greatness after the Columbia game (and its the one and only game this year) is a little premature. Its not a put down of Jeremy, but come on, the competition wasn't there the other night. My focus is on the writer's not Lamb.

Reaction Score
He also dropped 35 on a pretty good Lithuania team in international competition. Lamb's wingspan and his ability to use it in a variety of ways (hands in passing lanes, the floater, finishing over taller players at the rim, keeping rebounds alive) is what has the NBA scouts most intrigued. The fact he scored 30 against Columbia isn't going to be the difference. NBA scouts don't even care about stats all that much - they want to see if you have the tools that will translate at the next level. Can you create your own shot? Do you have a third and fourth way to score if the defense takes away your bread and butter? Can you do things athletically that separate yourself from your peers at your position? If he shot 7-17 yesterday and had 20 points, his NBA stock would be exactly the same. He's already proven he can score and create his own shots - the way he can get his stock even higher is to keep showing improved ball-handling and prove he can handle physical play at both ends. If the shots don't go in on a given day (or days) with scouts in attendance against top competition, that won't be a big factor, as long as one defender doesn't shut him down and he makes him struggle to even get good looks.

Reaction Score
#17 on the big board? If Lamb continues to play anything like he did on Friday, he's a Top 5 pick with a chance to go Top 3. And barring injury, he's a lock for a Top 10 pick. He's everything that NBA scouts look for in a player.

As much as I hate to say it, we should really enjoy what Lamb is doing now because he's not going to be back. Considering how seriously he considered going out after last year, I don't see any way he comes back for his junior season. If the NBA implements a 2-year/20 year old rule, there's a legitimate chance that Lamb could be our first ever #1 overall pick.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
These dunks on people are starting to convince me. Scouts have consistently used his ability to finish near the rim as a question mark to his game ... and I think, in just 3 games, he's emphatically proving that he can do it.

I'm sure once the bruising BEast rolls around it will be a bit more difficult ... but his if he can continue on this pace he'll become a true offensive triple threat with his outside game, his floaters, and now his dunking.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
These dunks on people are starting to convince me. Scouts have consistently used his ability to finish near the rim as a question mark to his game ... and I think, in just 3 games, he's emphatically proving that he can do it.

I'm sure once the bruising BEast rolls around it will be a bit more difficult ... but his if he can continue on this pace he'll become a true offensive triple threat with his outside game, his floaters, and now his dunking.
And if he doesn't we'll be ready to pounce on him.:cool:

Reaction Score
Lamb will be the first guard and top 5 pick in my opinion... This next draft class is loaded.

1)Anthony Davis
2) Harrison Barnes
3)Andre Drummond
4)Terrance Jones
5)Jeremy Lamb

Reaction Score
Lamb will be the first guard and top 5 pick in my opinion... This next draft class is loaded.

1)Anthony Davis
2) Harrison Barnes
3)Andre Drummond
4)Terrance Jones
5)Jeremy Lamb

I know people have mentioned it on this board before, but I feel like Harrison Barnes is overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player and is great in college, but when looking at how players will fare at the next level, I don't see how Barnes is drafted above Lamb. I feel like Barnes was hyped way too much out of high school so people assume he's going to go very high in the draft. I know he was great second half of the year last year, but I just don't think he translates into a star in the NBA like many expect. GMs would make a huge mistake drafting him in front of Davis, Drummond, or Lamb.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

1)Anthony Davis
2) Harrison Barnes
3)Andre Drummond
4)Terrance Jones
5)Jeremy Lamb
with the new rule, if it is enforced for the next draft, davis and drummond have to wait another yr

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I know people have mentioned it on this board before, but I feel like Harrison Barnes is overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player and is great in college, but when looking at how players will fare at the next level, I don't see how Barnes is drafted above Lamb. I feel like Barnes was hyped way too much out of high school so people assume he's going to go very high in the draft. I know he was great second half of the year last year, but I just don't think he translates into a star in the NBA like many expect. GMs would make a huge mistake drafting him in front of Davis, Drummond, or Lamb.
agreed, i have to watch barnes more but I'm not too impressed as of now

Reaction Score
I agree. I dont see Barnes having much upside. He almost plays robotic. I just watched the UNC-Asheville game and he had to work to get his points (most came from the foul line). Lamb plays against Columbia and scores at will and Barnes had to work hard to score. Not that it matters but Im pretty sure Lamb would dominate Barnes in a game of 1 on 1. Barnes is a good player, but hes not explosive which I would want in a guy if Im drafting him Top 5. I would honestly rather have Lamb than Barnes right now.

Reaction Score

I'm starting to get a little of this feel with Barnes as well. Given the choice, I would take Lamb over Barnes. I feel he's a better defender, more athletic, slighty better shooter, and longer. If Lamb was the #1 recruit coming out of high school he'd be getting a lot more hype from draft scouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom