Lake Winnipesaukee | The Boneyard

Lake Winnipesaukee

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My in-laws rented a house up on the lake in New Hampshire and we are all going in July. They used to go all the time as a family when my wife was younger so I'm sure they have a good idea of what is fun to do up there. I figured I would put it out there and see if anyone here had any recommendations in the area: food, activities, etc. I am also a craft beer junkie, so any suggestions on local beers or places to hit on the way up (I know about the package store on the Mass/NH border with the great prices, so I'm sure we'll hit there).

Thanks!

EDIT: I should also add that we are bringing out two dogs (one of them loves to be chased so we can't have her off-leash unless it's a fenced in area) and our daughter, who will turn one year old about a week before we go. Feel free to suggest non-kid activities as well, since I'm sure her grandparents will be happy to keep an eye on her for a few hours, but most of the time we will have her with us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where are you now and where are you coming from? CT? I'm just thinking in terms of beer. I used to go to Winnipesaukee as a kid, but haven't been in over 30 years. I suspect that they will need to know where you are on the lake. It makes a difference.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Where are you now and where are you coming from? CT? I'm just thinking in terms of beer. I used to go to Winnipesaukee as a kid, but haven't been in over 30 years. I suspect that they will need to know where you are on the lake. It makes a difference.

Coming up 84 to the Mass Pike. I'm not far from Treehouse on the way up, but I already tried to run that by the wife and got shot down (Standing in line to buy beer with a kid and two dogs did not sound appealing to her).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Coming up 84 to the Mass Pike. I'm not far from Treehouse on the way up, but I already tried to run that by the wife and got shot down (Standing in line to buy beer with a kid and two dogs did not sound appealing to her).

Yeah, that could be a challenge. The area around the Lake doesn't house any real breweries (most are the mountains or coast), and some of the local NH stuff is meh. I would suggest a quick stop at the Craft Beer Cellar in Nashua. It's on Exit 1 off of 3A and is right off the highway. It has a great selection, and I know the owners, who are big UConn fans. Brian K. is managing is and has his cicerone certification and really knows his stuff.

As for local beers, Stoneface make a nice IPA and APA, and has some well regarded newer releases I have not yet tried. Craft Beer Cellar will have the Smuttlabs releases from Smuttynose, and several are very very good. I haven't liked Kelsen at all. Or Henniker.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah, that could be a challenge. The area around the Lake doesn't house any real breweries (most are the mountains or coast), and some of the local NH stuff is meh. I would suggest a quick stop at the Craft Beer Cellar in Nashua. It's on Exit 1 off of 3A and is right off the highway. It has a great selection, and I know the owners, who are big UConn fans. Brian K. is managing is and has his cicerone certification and really knows his stuff.

As for local beers, Stoneface make a nice IPA and APA, and has some well regarded newer releases I have not yet tried. Craft Beer Cellar will have the Smuttlabs releases from Smuttynose, and several are very very good. I haven't liked Kelsen at all. Or Henniker.

Thanks for the recommendations! I know we are staying on the south side of the lake, can't remember the specific town we're in though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My family used to stay in Meredith, right on the lake. The first year (I was probably 6 or 7), we did all the "boring (for a 3rd grader) touristy stuff. Castle in the Clouds, Old Man in the Mountain, the 3 hour lake tour, etc. etc. For the decade thereafter it was a relax-cation. Stayed by the lake most days and went to FunSpot and the Weirs Beach go-karts. Maybe some Frankensundae.

Inevitably there would be one rainy day. That was movie day. I saw Back to the Future and Karate Kid, Part II for the first time up there.

When I was 12, I made the traveling Little League squad. We drove back for the semi's and finals of the Chelmsford Tournament (which we won). I had a blast. My brother and sister? Not so much.

Most nights ended with a few rounds of Po-Ke-No. We played for pennies. There was a black and white TV but also a strict No TV rule...except for my father who would try and tune in to whatever golf was on on Sunday.

The other thing I remember is the cottage had no insulation. The 3rd week of August became the 1st week right quick.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Couple/three breweries in North Conway:
Tuckerman's
Moat Mountain
Sea Dog

Here's a beer map. I'll add North Conway probably has the best food anywhere in NH north of Concord.

I've always enjoyed hiking Mt. Choucura, it's relatively easy with some nice lookouts on south side where you can see most of Winnipesaukee. Other easy hikes off the Kancamagus are Greeley Pond and Sabbaday Falls.

The gondola up Mt. Cannon on Rte 3 should also be open. Small cafe/observation area up top to hang out. Of course you could also do Mt. Washington, but the cog railway fumes are awful and if taking your car, you'll be riding your brakes for several miles on way down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom