• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Should be very interesting next season...very good players...very good
Just no super-superstar...-2
If Geno gets another Nat. Championship out of them, he will have done a terrific coaching job.
But also look around the NCAA woman's field this year.
Seems like no one wants to be in the top 5
We still may have the most talent with lots of potential, almost superstars amongst us.
That is very true.
I think Saniya has been playing excellent defense.
you have noticed that IB? Then I hope I'm wrong. I hold my opinion until I see more- :) she is obviously offensively gifted!

HGN

Reaction Score
I saw this game. Not sure what Tennessee was trying to do. (Other than trying to give the game away). They took Russell out and left Graves in , alone , to battle Texas's big frontline. then it looked like the Tennessee guards was playing helter-skelter with no offensive gameplan. It was not a pretty game to watch. Deshields had a good game. But it looked like it was always 1 against 5.

If the Huskies meet up with Tennessee in the Big Dance , unless Tennessee gets a lot better , The Huskies have nothing to fear.

Reaction Score
What is with the notion that a head coach is "stuck" with his/her assistants..... if a change is needed then so be it.... make that change happen..... Voila!
i totally agree with this. it's time for an offensive minded coach at TN

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have the feeling Chong can replace Moiah next year. Hope I am right.

She will replace her in body alone...certainly not in talent. I cannot imagine that anyone thinks that Chong is going to turn into Jefferson over the summer.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but most of the top 10 teams are struggling this year. Most teams have had quite a few changes in personnel and have looked ragged so far. Each team has had some ugly wins...or losses. So, once again, it's UCONN and then everyone else.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I didn't get to see the game, but based on the box score it looks like DeShields is the only Tennessee player that was productive. She was 9-22 from the floor (4-7 from three point range) and had 11 rebounds. Maybe the box score is misleading?

Reaction Score
I didn't get to see the game, but based on the box score it looks like DeShields is the only Tennessee player that was productive. She was 9-22 from the floor (4-7 from three point range) and had 11 rebounds. Maybe the box score is misleading?
No you got it right

Reaction Score
Margo is spot on. Could not have said it better. I do not understand why Mercedes Russell wants to stay out past the 3 point line and pass the ball.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Disregard reference to Walz.Let me rephrase the question. Would ANY prospective new HC agree to conditions like these?
1. Your assistants are already all in place. We know they are good because they all worked for Pat for many years.
2. Pat will remain to help you recruit, run practices, and deal with alumni and media. Should any assistants leave, look to her to find a replacement (maybe even young Tyler). You are fortunate to have her at all games and in team meetings.
3. You are lucky -- the AD won't bother you much -- his focus is on football.​

Got the idea?
AND, by all accounts, Hart is not about to turn loose of the kind of money that it would take to make it worthwhile for a hot-shot coach to come into that situation. As long as the LV are getting the kind of non-support and non-interest that they seem to be getting (according to the VolNation posters, at least) there is just no way anything is going to change for the better. What the fans in general want does not signify; it is what the AD and the alumni with the big bucks want that does, and it does not seem that there is any effective movement to restore the LV to their wonted glory. A truly sad situation.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Margo is spot on. Could not have said it better. I do not understand why Mercedes Russell wants to stay out past the 3 point line and pass the ball.

Does she want to or is she told to? Most post players are not going to float around the three point line unless the coach instructs them to clear out the lane.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually, up to the early 2000s Pat's teams played very good team ball once those days were gone the rest of it was nowhere near as successful.
Great point. Certainly through the Kara Lawson years the UTenn teams were pretty impressive in at least working as a team on offense, even if it was often a "chuck it inside and go for the rebound" approach, they still seemed to be glued together in a system that usually got them at least to the FF and often the NC game. Sure, UConn undressed them in the 2000 and 2002 Tourney games, but that happened to a bunch of teams. Then came the Candace era where you had a supremely gifted player who in two seasons from 2006-2008 had enough of a supporting cast working behind her to seize the opportunity to capture NCs. The question is, is that now the model that UTenn has been focused on since CP's departure?

Maya Moore was supposed to be the next Vol superstar to continue the winning tradition, but that possibility disappeared when she disappeared in the north wilds of UConn. There have been various players touted as the next Vol superstar or savior with #1 or #2 recruiting ratings and lineups that would give them the "best front court in the nation." Nothing has really worked out, though injuries are always pointed to as a major culprit.

So now DD has been heralded as the player who will lead UTenn back to the Promised Land due to her magical talents. She's certainly a gamer and fun to watch, but the shooting stats from her time with a sometimes explosive but inconsistent UNC in 2013-14 seem a bit similar to the stats for a more veteran UTenn squad.

DD at UNC: 42.6% on FGs, 27.9% on 3-pt FGs, took 24.5% of team's shots
DD at UTn: 34.6% oN FGs, 30.8% on 3-pt FGs, taking 20.9% of team's shots, but 31.9% of the Vols' shots in the season's first "big" game against Texas.

At least her TOs per game are down from 3.4 topg for UNC to 2.2 for UTenn, but other Vol players have picked up the "'slack," and amazingly UTenn is more turnover prone this year than that wild inexperienced UNC team.

I would be a bit worried about the early action if I was a Vol fan, but the important point to remember is that Holly needs at least five more years to get things straightened out and we should all be very supportive of her during these trying years.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This thread has been enlightening and amusing, and it got me thinking about rankings (individuals & team), coaching, and a few other things. These might be more rhetorical questions than anything else.

1 - When is the #4 & #8 team not really that? Similar to college FB and BB, are WBB teams ranked based on perception and history? I'll bet that Dayton and others considered mid-majors (I hate that they rank them separate), are probably better than some of the "named" programs in the top 25 right now.

2 - How hard is it to be a WCBB coach and sustain excellence YOY? It's known that Geno (and DT, and others) have a supreme fear of failure, and work hard every year to be the best. He and the assts instill a base of team, system, responsibility, and it doesn't change much each year. He may change the offense based on his personnel, but isn't that what a coach is supposed to do? Ran the triangle for a while, then moved on. Tara also moved on from the triangle last year based on her team makeup. I'm betting that installing an offensive system is hard, and even harder to stay with it, in bad times.

3 - When is the $1, #4, #25 HS player not that at all? Is it just as important for a player to be in an environment that suits her skills, or should a highly ranked player be able to transfer that skill, no matter where she plays?

Reaction Score
The players seem to have plenty of problems, too. But that is a coaching problem, too, as the talent as recruited does not seem to be capable or desirous of playing as a unit. Geno and CD put as much emphasis on fit and personality as flat out athleticism.

I think this has been an issue at Tennessee for quite some time now. IMO when Pat Summitt was coaching the sheer force of her personality was often enough to compel her players to work as a unit, you know, "let's show her we can meet her expectations". It didn't always work, she had teams that just couldn't/wouldn't work together (Kara Lawson's teams for example) but it worked often enough. JMO.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Andrea Carter made this point in the presser that I must have missed.

After noting that in the previous games, UTenn should have won by much greater margins,she said:

"We came up against a team that was equally as talented as us, and they played together and they beat us."

If she truly believes that, then the Lady Vols are top 10-15 at best.
Assuming they start to perform.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
maybe play her position...
I think we get your point; Saniya is not and will not be as good a point guard as is Moriah. Agreed. But neither is or was anyone else, past or present. OK?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think we get your point; Saniya is not and will not be as good a point guard as is Moriah. Agreed. But neither is or was anyone else, past or present. OK?
Glad you left out Future, as that leaves the possibility that Dangerfield will be the real Deal and MoJeff "like"

Reaction Score
Someone requested my girl...so here she is...
MARGOOOOO....!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/K_JJ8cWKVsE
I am forever indebted to you! As many posters have long noted, I am woefully ignorant on a wide variety of subjects. As an example, reading this thread, I had no clue to whom people were referring when they kept invoking the name of someone named Margo. Thanks to you, I now not only know, but have invested the most entertaining 15 minutes in recent memory. Priceless! Tenn should put her on their bench for the specific purpose of, in her words, "gettin' in the referee's ear!" Does UConn have its own answer to Margo? Great stuff...thanks!

Reaction Score
I am forever indebted to you! As many posters have long noted, I am woefully ignorant on a wide variety of subjects. As an example, reading this thread, I had no clue to whom people were referring when they kept invoking the name of someone named Margo. Thanks to you, I now not only know, but have invested the most entertaining 15 minutes in recent memory. Priceless! Tenn should put her on their bench for the specific purpose of, in her words, "gettin' in the referee's ear!" Does UConn have its own answer to Margo? Great stuff...thanks!

Yeah I love Margo.... She has such passion, and always has had that..... In this review, she is questioning Mercedes' positioning at top of key, and recommending that the players drive to the basket, particularly the guards

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Chong = Sue Bird?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Diamond is an extremely confident player. Which you have to be to play at a high level and honestly I wouldn't put too much stock in a post game presser by her or any other TN player at this time. Until they can put together something watchable from a basketball standpoint words mean nothing. Does anyone know if those are required? The post games by players? If I were a coach I'm not sure I'd want a team that just played that poorly even speaking about the sport.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As to picking on poor DD, let the stats and team play speak for itself. The BY isn't the site that's in meltdown mode about Holly and Co. We all heard that DD was supposed to be well integrated into the Vol offense this year and Holly could get her working smoothly with the other players. So far it kind of looks like 2013-14 UNC deja vu all over again, only clunkier and worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer