Lady Vols can be great? | The Boneyard

Lady Vols can be great?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Pushing those expectations high. Warlick is already comparing freshman Rennia Davis to Chamique Holdsclaw. No pressure though.

And DeShields doesn't appear to be missed.

But if you watched this team at all last season, and certainly if you talked to this team at all last season, you know DeShields leaving might not be bad for chemistry.

“I think that’s the biggest thing we struggled with, which is one of the reasons we were so inconsistent,” Nared said of chemistry. “We hang out outside of basketball, it’s just a completely different group and it’s so much fun.”

Lady Vols basketball can be great, but it'll come down to Holly Warlick, chemistry

Reaction Score
I'm sure they'll have their good moments..............how could you not with that much talent.............the question is going to be consistency which Holly seems to have great difficulty with

Reaction Score
The LVs could be very good. Two years ago I was one of the supporters who figured with a healthy Russell, DeShields and Cooper added to some important pieces of an EE team would be enough to get them back to a FF. That season didn't go so well (compared to expectations) and last year wasn't an improvement. This enigma of a team will look like world beaters one night and a high school team others. Warlick does have some responsibility for this as well as the players. I've never thought she should be fired but rather be aware the clock is ticking to show some improvement in the product on the floor. This freshmen class has a great deal of star power and could really make some noise if they stay healthy and adjust quickly.

The dislike for the LVs program is high on this board by some posters and I understand why. However, I will again state UT isn't LA Tech or ODU...yet. Their facilities, fan support, reputation and history make them extremely relevant, it's just that since the last title other programs such as SC, Baylor, ND, and seemingly now Texas have joined the party at the same time UConn entered previously unknown levels of success.

The LVs have a lot to prove this season. I look forward to seeing what they have in store

Reaction Score
IMO they will be a very good team this year, just on the backs of Nared and Russell . They have the puffiest of puff schedules for their first 10 games before they host Texas. We'll learn nothing (unless they lose one of the early games) until that Texas game. The schedule does give Warlick a chance to integrate their youth. If she can't be a top 10 team this year it might be time for her to move on and let someone else come in to develop their terrific , young players.

Reaction Score
I think that they won’t be nearly as good without Diamond or Cooper. Team chemistry is great but IMO having experienced talent is a lot better.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Having Jamie and Mercedes back helps. The freshman are talented they add a lot. I think this team can be real good.

Reaction Score
I think that they won’t be nearly as good without Diamond or Cooper. Team chemistry is great but IMO having experienced talent is a lot better.
Just losing DD should make them better.

Reaction Score
Because they boast outstanding talent, they will be great, in spots, and even appear invincible, Holly’s presence nothwithstanding. Because of Holly’s presence, they will also throw in clunkers, and lose games to less-talented teams. They will play half-court basketball, ill-coached, and will, as ever, be up and down. Interesting that the Lady Vol “aura” helps them to continue its tradition of attracting top talent. Hope the same things happen at UConn post-Geno!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Quick, name the sports team in this state with the best chance of winning a major championship this season. And no, a “Champions of Life” joke will not be accepted.
The first instinct is to say the Nashville Predators

Always go with your first instict.

But that conference is the best in college basketball.

The PAC-12 would like a word with you.

UConn actually is mortal (for now)

Nobody told him about Stevens or the incoming recruits, did they?

There’s no telling for sure what freshmen will be until they actually play in games, but there’s plenty of YouTube evidence that these four are for real.

I don't have a quip for this - I just want to point out how stupid it is to reference YouTube highlights as "evidence" of anything.

Warlick said Hayes is quicker than she realized, Kushkituah is more physical and Westbrook is a better passer.

Welcome to Lake Wobegon University where all the players are above average.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"It’s up to Warlick to turn willing personnel into winning personnel. She said she loves this team. She said she is emphasizing defense, rebounding and fundamentals. She said she has grown in the job."

Something new and different from Holly.

The lady vols will not be great or anywhere close to great.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I do think they will be better this year. But they will have to get a lot out of the first-years and that will cause some growing pains.

Russell is very good but she's not one to put the team on her back and just dominate from what I've seen. I'm not sure they have that one game-changer that most great teams seem to have (UConn has at least 4 this year, lol). Maybe Nared is that player. We'll see.

I expect them to lose fewer games than they did last year but I don't see them winning the conference or making a Final Four.

Reaction Score
The LVs could be very good. Two years ago I was one of the supporters who figured with a healthy Russell, DeShields and Cooper added to some important pieces of an EE team would be enough to get them back to a FF. That season didn't go so well (compared to expectations) and last year wasn't an improvement. This enigma of a team will look like world beaters one night and a high school team others. Warlick does have some responsibility for this as well as the players. I've never thought she should be fired but rather be aware the clock is ticking to show some improvement in the product on the floor. This freshmen class has a great deal of star power and could really make some noise if they stay healthy and adjust quickly.

The dislike for the LVs program is high on this board by some posters and I understand why. However, I will again state UT isn't LA Tech or ODU...yet. Their facilities, fan support, reputation and history make them extremely relevant, it's just that since the last title other programs such as SC, Baylor, ND, and seemingly now Texas have joined the party at the same time UConn entered previously unknown levels of success.

The LVs have a lot to prove this season. I look forward to seeing what they have in store

I hope to see Miss St take full control of the SEC. Love Coach Vic. All the best this season until we get our revenge in this year's Final Four!

Reaction Score
Just let these Ladyvols play the UConn Huskies in S16 next year.
Then we will know if they are born great; or if they have achieved greatness; or if greatness has been thrust upon them.
Punctuations are a bit screwed up in the last sentence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"It’s up to Warlick to turn willing personnel into winning personnel. She said she loves this team. She said she is emphasizing defense, rebounding and fundamentals. She said she has grown in the job."

If they limit themselves to defense, rebounding, and fundamentals, they will still be the LVs of the 1980s and 1990s. Other teams have passed them by.

What WNBA GM will risk his/her career on Diamond DeShields?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few things. First, at the start of almost every season we hear how some feel they are a "final 4 team". A time or 2 in the past 8 years they were even ranked in the top 5 to start the season. Yet, they have not made the final 4 since 2008. That's 9 years. The best they have done is the elite 8, which to their credit, they have done 5 times in the past 9 years. With all the talent they've had on their roster over the past 9 years, that stat is almost criminal.

Second, yes they have seniors Russell and Nared. The rest of their starting lineup will probably look something like Hayes, Westbrook and then maybe Green (Juco transfer from London), Jackson, or Davis. No matter HOW good the freshmen are, relying on them that much, with the lack of good coaching, it's highly unlikely they will have a consistently strong season. I can see them losing 6-8 games. BUT, they could lose a lot more, or squeak out a ton of wins.

Third, they love to talk on their board about how great the team looks in practices. They do it almost every year and the expectations rise. Then reality sets in - they play teams with equal or slightly lesser talent, but with better coaching and team play, and suddenly the losses pile up. As Cat said, Holly is "emphasizing defense, rebounding and fundamentals. She said she has grown in the job".

All I can say to that is "wow". Until Holly emphasizes offense, passing, etc., her teams will always underachieve based on the talent on the roster. I think they will end the season somewhere between 10-15. The will probably be either a 3 or 4 seed. I'd be surprised to see them make the elite 8, but while possible, IMHO that is their max ceiling this season. Next season, they take a big step backwards with the loss of Nared and Russell (They have nothing close to replace Russell with and while Westbrook is probably similar to Nared, they are still losing a pair of talented seniors and leaders).

So far they have not loaded up with anything substantial from 2018, altho they are in the hunt for the recently de-committed Kansas recruit Zarielle Green, a top 15 kid per HG, but 24 per PN and 9 per BS...

Reaction Score
Just losing DD should make them better.
I’m not buying that. As a Texas fan I’m glad that she’s not on the team anymore because Texas doesn’t have anyone that can consistently guard her this year. I’m really glad that Texas will be guarding Westbrook instead of Diamond this year. IMO the chemistry issue and the let’s blame Diamond for everything talk is just a crutch and an excuse used to try and justify the fact that Tennessee lost two of their best and most experienced players.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There is a lot of talk about Hayes and Westbrook don't forget about Davis.
She can do everything — reminds me of Chamique Holdsclaw,” Warlick said.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Quick, name the sports team in this state with the best chance of winning a major championship this season. And no, a “Champions of Life” joke will not be accepted.
The first instinct is to say the Nashville Predators

Always go with your first instict.

But that conference is the best in college basketball.

The PAC-12 would like a word with you.

UConn actually is mortal (for now)

Nobody told him about Stevens or the incoming recruits, did they?

There’s no telling for sure what freshmen will be until they actually play in games, but there’s plenty of YouTube evidence that these four are for real.

I don't have a quip for this - I just want to point out how stupid it is to reference YouTube highlights as "evidence" of anything.

Warlick said Hayes is quicker than she realized, Kushkituah is more physical and Westbrook is a better passer.

Welcome to Lake Wobegon University where all the players are above average.

LOL, both very good takes.

I think I said something similar in another thread; teams that rely on Freshmen are in for an inconsistent season. Teams that rely heavily on Freshmen to run the team, well ....good luck with that. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
10 losses.
Sounds about right. Same Warlick. Emphasis defense, downplay or ignore offense, trust freshman to work out their own scheme just beyond "get it down low". A perfect storm for a young, undisciplined offense that appears to the outside as "a lack of chemistry" when guards are hoisting up bad shots. This is lazy coaching. Toss in consistently poor on court decisions and you've got bad coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom