Lady Vols and the Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols and the Tournament

Reaction Score
Wouldn't an 8 seed in the East potentially play the second game at Gampel on the first weekend? Have they announced the days and times of the Gampel games yet? I thought we had to wait until tonight's draw. (The regional final in Bpt is the 2nd weekend at 7 pm on Monday 3/27/17.)
I spoke with a friend that works in the UCONN ticket office, and she said they cannot release any info on the dates/times of games until selection show has completed.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of other teams other than Tennessee that I would rather play in the 2nd round.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Have the LVs dropped to an 8? Wow
Why is that surprising? My math is 4 regions, 16 seeds. At #8, that puts Tennessee anywhere from 29-32 rank which is where they fall in the polls. Plus as Vowelguy and I have discussed, it makes for good television and WCBB interest without poisoning the seedings.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
By that measure, one would have to say Strother was a significant underperformer.
Not in college. Not even close. Look up her college stats. She's #15 on the UCONN all time scoring list at 1,699.
At least Annie won two national championships and was a key component - admittedly not THE key component - on the team. But then again, with Diana on the team, Annie never had to be THE go-to guy while D was there so she didn't know how to be one after Diana left.
I would also add that she did not have near the supporting cast any other UCONN team historically has had. Her senior year on the team she had Turner, Crockett, (Wolff was gone due to injuries), the entire junior class had transferred out, sophomores Houston, Thomas, Swanier, and freshmen Montgomery, Kerns, and Williams (Tahirah). I think that year Greene was also out with her injury that she redshirted from. She simply had no elite help...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would love to see TN in Storrs for a big time beat down by the Huskies, but outside of this guy Kalina, Creme and everyone else have TN as a 7 seed, likely at MD for their 1st 2 games, assuming they don't bomb out in the 1st round.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
We will find out the bracket tonight. Tennessee also has three Gatorade State players coming in next year.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I would love to see TN in Storrs for a big time beat down by the Huskies, but outside of this guy Kalina, Creme and everyone else have TN as a 7 seed, likely at MD for their 1st 2 games, assuming they don't bomb out in the 1st round.
Based on the changes in the Men's Bracketology from the prognosticators to the actual bracket, why are you discounting Kalina vs. Creme? Neither is on the committee, has been on the committee nor has inside information from the committee. Either information could be prove to be true. My own assessment of UTs SEC loss drops them in the 29-32 range of rank as an 8 seed, not much different than a 7 seed (implying a ranking of 25-28, of which they are not). Plus, as noted, the committee is well aware of early television interest that Plebe, Vowelguy and I have discussed. I am soooo rooting for that game to happen.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
We will find out the bracket tonight. Tennessee also has three Gatorade State players coming in next year.
And you have Cooper coming back to help on point. That injury has been barely mentioned while I think contributing greatly to your struggles at times on offense. I also disagree the DD is such a cancer on your team. She's been playing very good team ball for you and has tried to engage her teammates. Inconsistent offense, lack of team conditioning and sad but true, poor coaching have led to the malaise affecting the current UT squad. It could be either an epic battle or a blowout, depending on which UT shows up.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
And you have Cooper coming back to help on point. That injury has been barely mentioned while I think contributing greatly to your struggles at times on offense. I also disagree the DD is such a cancer on your team. She's been playing very good team ball for you and has tried to engage her teammates. Inconsistent offense, lack of team conditioning and sad but true, poor coaching have led to the malaise affecting the current UT squad. It could be either an epic battle or a blowout, depending on which UT shows up.
Yes I agree the injury to Cooper hurt. I thought she was going on start at point this year. With Hayes and Cooper I think the point guard is in real good shape next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Based on the changes in the Men's Bracketology from the prognosticators to the actual bracket, why are you discounting Kalina vs. Creme? Neither is on the committee, has been on the committee nor has inside information from the committee. Either information could be prove to be true. My own assessment of UTs SEC loss drops them in the 29-32 range of rank as an 8 seed, not much different than a 7 seed (implying a ranking of 25-28, of which they are not). Plus, as noted, the committee is well aware of early television interest that Plebe, Vowelguy and I have discussed. I am soooo rooting for that game to happen.
Unfortunately, I had not seen the "DefenseBB Bracketology". I hope you & Kalina are correct. I guess we'll know tonight.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That was good! I didn't mean to sound confrontational to you at all, just wanted to note that too many people are using Creme as gospel when it's not, it is to be a dialogue starter which it has done. Thanks for the conversation. Maybe next year I give it a cracck though...:rolleyes:

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Any UConn fans who are actually hoping the committee sticks us with a potential second-round matchup against Tennessee are, IMO, absolutely out of their minds. Let's forget for just a second that this team is called "Tennessee," so we can maybe think about this just a little bit objectively. If you're a #1 seed, would you rather face (a) a typical #8 seed that has no chance whatsoever of winning, short of a Tulane-esque perfect storm of goofy things happening, or (b) a top-10 team in terms of pure individual talent (in fact probably the most talented #8 seed in history), which habitually plays up or down to the level of its competition and has already beaten four(!) different teams currently ranked in the AP's top 7? There is a huge difference between those two alternatives, and why we should go out of our way to wish for the more difficult path is completely beyond me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Any UConn fans who are actually hoping the committee sticks us with a potential second-round matchup against Tennessee are, IMO, absolutely out of their minds. Let's forget for just a second that this team is called "Tennessee," so we can maybe think about this just a little bit objectively. If you're a #1 seed, would you rather face (a) a typical #8 seed that has no chance whatsoever of winning, short of a Tulane-esque perfect storm of goofy things happening, or (b) a top-10 team in terms of pure individual talent (in fact probably the most talented #8 seed in history), which habitually plays up or down to the level of its competition and has already beaten four(!) different teams currently ranked in the AP's top 7? There is a huge difference between those two alternatives, and why we should go out of our way to wish for the more difficult path is completely beyond me.
I know not what course others may take, but as for me give me Tennessee or give me..... .:oops:

Reaction Score
I just hope that Stanford as a two and Tennessee as seven doesn't happen in the same bracket.I can see this happening because,for one there could still be vole fans on the committee,and because they will side with the extra revenue by having a known full house in Knoxville.The committee will have total say about the venue of that match-up.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It seems like you guys have 2 or 3 come in every year! Honestly, I don't think lack of talent is your problem.
Also had some key injuries. In one game vs Maryland. Harrison was injured and Russell freshman year feet.it makes a difference.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Why should we be afraid to play anybody, particularly playing a home game at Gampel vs. ANY 8/9 seed, whether it is Tenn. or anybody else? Let them worry about playing us.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just hope that Stanford as a two and Tennessee as seven doesn't happen in the same bracket.I can see this happening because,for one there could still be vole fans on the committee,and because they will side with the extra revenue by having a known full house in Knoxville.The committee will have total say about the venue of that match-up.
Stanford and Tennessee played in the regular season, and the committee is supposed to avoid rematches in the first two rounds, if possible.

Reaction Score
Why should we be afraid to play anybody, particularly playing a home game at Gampel vs. ANY 8/9 seed, whether it is Tenn. or anybody else? Let them worry about playing us.

How many other #8 seeds are as talented as Tennessee? How many have beaten 4 out of the top 7 this year? I am not afraid of playing Tennessee, but I would rather not. Hopefully, the committee realizes that UConn as the #1 overall seed, should not have to play a team as talented as Tennessee in the 2nd round.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
FYI-, I'm thrilled at the potential of playing Tenn in 2nd round. I'm get they are lightly under seeded, but it doesn't matter if you really think the team has the horsed to win it all... The NC goes through UConn.
Lastly, it's actually a bit unfair to Tenn to play UConn on it's home court, if they are truly underseeded. Nonetheless, I welcome the match up. It would be HUGE for viewing... and I hope Tenn brings their A game, so we can truly be tested... again, the NC goes through UConn!

Reaction Score
I would love to have a #8 Tennessee & #2 Stanford in our region. Wow. Exciting basketball. Huge coverage. Everyone would go crazy. Including this board.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There has been much discussion about the LadyVols inconsistency this season. Over the past few weeks, and particularly after their inexplicable loss to AR in the SEC tournament, I get a strong sense that Holly has lost control of the team. Unlike last season when they made some noise in the NCAA tournament, I think this year TN will depart from the Big Dance with barely a whimper.

Maybe, maybe not. Imagine if TN is a 7 seed in the region with Stanford, then TN gets to play at home for first two games. We know they can beat Stanford, they've done it, might be in S 16 before they have to travel. If they are in SC region, that's a winnable game, they could easily be in FF. Not saying it will happen, jut saying it isn't as unlikely as some might think.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. Imagine if TN is a 7 seed in the region with Stanford, then TN gets to play at home for first two games. We know they can beat Stanford, they've done it, might be in S 16 before they have to travel. If they are in SC region, that's a winnable game, they could easily be in FF. Not saying it will happen, jut saying it isn't as unlikely as some might think.
Certainly if TN could some how pull it all together for multiple tough games in a row then they might make a run this year, but very little in the Vols season indicates they are capable of accomplishing a sustained run in the tournament.

The point of my post is that TN is broken. They don't play for their coach or each other, and I doubt that there will be any type of miracle transformation.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Well, I wouldn't say I'm "afraid," exactly ("wary" would be more like it), but the simple answer to that question is that Tennessee wouldn't be a normal #8 seed. They'd be a very talented but underachieving team disguised as a #8 seed. A normal #8 seed can be expected to play, more or less, like a #8 seed. Tennessee's level of play has been all over the place all season; when they're bad, they play like a WNIT team, but when they're good and motivated, they've proven multiple times that they play more like a #2 seed. I just don't see how sending a team like that to Storrs does UConn any favors. I seem to remember this one other time when UConn was undefeated and the committee plunked another talented but underachieving Tennessee team down in our region. That ended very badly for us. Not in Storrs, granted, but still.

Look, don't get me wrong, UConn is better than Tennessee. If they match up in the tournament, Tennessee will have a lot more things to worry about than UConn will. UConn should win that game, and I can easily envision a scenario where we run them out of the building, Mississippi State-in-2016 style. But I can also imagine that game developing a certain way (foul trouble, rebounding trouble, Tennessee playing motivated, our shots not falling) where it turns into a major slog. If enough things go wrong for us, I'd even give Tennessee a puncher's chance of—heaven forbid—winning. I would give a typical #8 seed virtually no chance of winning. That's all I'm saying.

I also want to emphasize that I wouldn't belabor this point if we were discussing any later round of the tournament. I don't really expect games in later rounds to be easy (though it's nice when they turn out to be). If we end up playing Tennessee sometime later on, so be it. But when you're a #1 seed, especially on the women's side, it's not unreasonable to hope for the opening two rounds to be a relative cakewalk. If all goes right, you shake off some rust, don't play your starters more minutes than necessary, and move on to the Sweet 16 without needing to expend too much physical or mental energy. I honestly don't see the point of hoping to see a team that has the very real potential to turn one of those games into a slog, as opposed to a team that has virtually no chance of doing that. Sorry, but I'd rather have the cakewalk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom