Lack of low post presence is hurting us | The Boneyard

Lack of low post presence is hurting us

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I dont know if it has to do with the ban, lost of scholarships, whatever, but we haven't had bigs come here... I mean big bodies that have some skills and toughness... we havent had an inside game since '09... maybe with AO in '11... Miller needs to stay down low and stop going to the perimeter, let facey go up there and swing the ball, doesn't matter if he hit the 3's tonight, we need him down low... Brimah is needed back asap (yes i know he's a big, great on defense but you can't throw it down low and have him get a bucket)... we need his defense bc the guys on the perimeter either get tired, don't fight through screens or recover quickly, and are slow to get to their man... /thoughts /rant

Reaction Score
This is just the tip of the iceberg....there is several major aspects wrong with this team.

-no rim protection
-NO HAMILTON, period.
-Not hitting 3s we lose.
-no inside out game.
-Clueless Ollie
-Lazy fouls
-Inconsistency from best players

Teams are slowly learning that if they play a zone for the majority of the game against us were done for. If we're not shooting well we do not have an alternative strategy to score. Get to the drawing board Ollie, your season's slowly going down the drain.

Reaction Score
I've been on a record for a while saying we need a better bigs coach.

All of them at lazy on defense. Slaps, leans, poor footwork and no boxing out.

Same problem as last year.
I'm still wondering how many of our bigs have made dramatic improvement in recent years? Nolan couldn't catch a pass, Facey looks lost sometimes and he's a junior, we all know Brimah's offensive woes, Tyler digressed, etc.. Hobbs, Ollie and Moore were all guards, not sure what Miller was.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm still wondering how many of our bigs have made dramatic improvement in recent years? Nolan couldn't catch a pass, Facey looks lost sometimes and he's a junior, we all know Brimah's offensive woes, Tyler digressed, etc.. Hobbs, Ollie and Moore were all guards, not sure what Miller was.

Miller is the bigs coach.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We have two decent, serviceable post players. The offense we run neglects them touches in good positions.

Reaction Score
Lack of offensive creativity is the problem. There are ways to win without a "low post presence". This team has a coaching problem. NO needs to re evaluate himself

Reaction Score
Miller is the bigs coach.
Was he a forward in college? I guess I'm trying to figure out his qualifications/experience, not as a coach per se, but as a big man coach.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We have two decent, serviceable post players. The offense we run neglects them touches in good positions.
miller needs to touch the ball on the post every possession, no more threes

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
miller needs to touch the ball on the post every possession, no more threes
Miller was 2/6 inside the arc. We got Facey 2 shots. All of those 8 shots were in very difficult positions.

Reaction Score
I really don't blame our coaches, they have to have talent to work with it's that simple. We need some talent but in a body that weighs more than 200 pounds. Facey and Brimah are string beans.

Reaction Score
Low post help is not coming in abundance next year. Diarra can't do it by himself.

Reaction Score
They need a point. Big are not great without brimah but more than adequate in the college game. Ball needs to be out of Hamiltons hands, he is a good passer, but no playmaker. The lack of point is killing them. Adams has shown energy, but he can't make an outside shot, is terribly turnover prone, and is reckless. Do you put the ball in his hands and take your chances? Might not be a bad idea to give him the experience

Reaction Score
I really don't blame our coaches, they have to have talent to work with it's that simple. We need some talent but in a body that weighs more than 200 pounds. Facey and Brimah are string beans.
Perhaps, but then Enoch will be a good test of development. He's certainly something to work with, and has good potential. I hope he does not look this way in two years.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is just the tip of the iceberg....there is several major aspects wrong with this team.

-no rim protection
-NO HAMILTON, period.
-Not hitting 3s we lose.
-no inside out game.
-Clueless Ollie
-Lazy fouls
-Inconsistency from best players

Teams are slowly learning that if they play a zone for the majority of the game against us were done for. If we're not shooting well we do not have an alternative strategy to score. Get to the drawing board Ollie, your season's slowly going down the drain.
This has been the case for UConn since 2010 I'd say. Zone has been our kryptonite for 5 years now. No penetration, no kick outs, no finding open shots, only tough, awkward contested attempts.

Reaction Score
Miller got 14 and 8 that's fine especially for a guy who once again had a couple crap fouls called on him and lost minutes because of them.
What I don't understand is that he was the only offensive threat tonight and he wasn't fed the ball. He should of had more, but I did not see one play called for him, especially in the 2nd half. Those 3 pointers are high risk, Miller is low risk. I think that's part of the IQ issues posters were quipping about.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
also if miller is going to pick and pop, he has to either shoot the ball or drive to the hoop... him or hamilton, that's another thing missing from the offense

Reaction Score
Yes! . I've been saying the same since day one. I just wonder if the offense is designed, practiced and run through guard-colored glasses.
I could understand it, because Ollie was a guard. I would prefer that he hire a post coach that thinks different than he does. There are absolutely guys on the team that can do it. For example, Nolan was doing it as a freshman, though he wasnt scoring big. Still, they were posting up back then. Theres always room to improve. This is needed. .....And to the team I say; please, pass to the post guys. Trust your big men more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been on a record for a while saying we need a better bigs coach.

All of them at lazy on defense. Slaps, leans, poor footwork and no boxing out.

Same problem as last year.
Yes, yes, yes....

Reaction Score
You know I'm watching #20 Pitt-# 21 Ville and at the half these teams have scored 37 points total, they look worse than us. There is a lot of parity this year, crap parity if you ask me. Pitt shot 6-25 in the half. Do they call for Dixon's resignation for poor coaching? How about Pitino, his team scored 20 points. Let's lay off KO, get our big man back and hope it's not too late to do something.

Reaction Score
OP we actually do have a low post presence in SM this year. Problem is we forget to run the offense through him. We love to run the offense at the perimeter and then try to rush something going inside normally against a zone d. LOL!

Reaction Score
Yes! . I've been saying the same since day one. I just wonder if the offense is designed, practiced and run through guard-colored glasses.
I could understand it, because Ollie was a guard. I would prefer that he hire a post coach that thinks different than he does. There are absolutely guys on the team that can do it. For example, Nolan was doing it in the Calhoun era, though he wasnt scoring big. Still, they were posting up back then. Theres always room to improve. This is needed. .....And to the team I say; please, pass to the post guys. Trust your big men more.
Nolan was never coached by Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Miller was 2/6 inside the arc. We got Facey 2 shots. All of those 8 shots were in very difficult positions.
He doesn't necessarily have to score on the possessions. Just present himself inside to get the ball and kick it back out if covered like he did against Memphis or get fouled. I rather have that offense than DHAM doing his spin moves at the top of the key and bricking it or turning it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom