Lack of decency in women’s basketball this season dragged sport to new low | The Boneyard

Lack of decency in women’s basketball this season dragged sport to new low

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
dont think it can be denied that there were more incidents (punches, kicking, stomping, hair pulling, etc) than ever.

Reaction Score
Honestly, could not have written a more perfect embodiment of “northeastern sports guy writing about college sports.” Perfect blend of harrumph harrumphs and dog whistles. 10/10

Reaction Score
I read the first sentence and already saw that this was a hit job on women's basketball and stopped reading. I just don't know how folks like Phil sleep at night, especially if they are raising a daughter(s).

Reaction Score
Yes let's cherry pick every negative thing in women's basketball this year and ignore all of the positives.

Seriously, who lets these articles get posted?

LOL, it's the NY Post. I didn't even click on the link since most of their stuff is hot garbage. Sort of the print version of AM radio shock jocks when it comes to sports.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am curious as to what the article says but refuse to add to his click count on what I gather is a hit job.

I do remember however that the start of this past season seemed to be unusually filled with on court and post game confrontations and thought it was an ugly 'trend'. The fact that there were maybe five instances out of maybe 1000 games played to that point in D1 means it was not a wide spread phenom, but still not pretty.

I do think two things are at work:
1. NIL and 'branding' - hard for a player to get noticed unless they are truly exceptional on the court, play for a really top team, or they have a ton of 'personality', and one way to build 'personality/exposure' is to be feisty. Where the line on that falls vs. being a provocation is delicate.

2. There is finally decent money in being a coach in WCBB, and money brings both greater competition for jobs and greater accountability for results. 30 years ago being a head coach in WCBB was almost a sinecure - don't make waves and you have the job as long as you want it. The added pressure to actually produce winning teams is new and is reaching down to mid-majors, and perennial P5 bottom dwellers. Coaches are actually getting fired pretty quickly or 'leaving to pursue other options' or simply not getting a second contract. That adds a lot of new stress for the coaches.

Reaction Score
LOL, it's the NY Post. I didn't even click on the link since most of their stuff is hot garbage. Sort of the print version of AM radio shock jocks when it comes to sports.
Yep!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Shaughnessy from the Boston Globe had a dubiously timed article about showboating IRT the Red Sox, and I ROFLed at it.

When we start critiquing both M&F athletes from other sports about behavior that is deemed "indecent", then I might be bothered about all of this.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Ignore the slaps at Geno, where was there anything wrong? At least he didn't mention the embarrassing bad for the game officiating.

Reaction Score
dont think it can be denied that there were more incidents (punches, kicking, stomping, hair pulling, etc) than ever.

No it can't be, but for it to be framed in the manner of this article? I don't think so.

Like others noted NY Post has a bias and the writing suit the crud they put out. Even Canadians know it's best to skip past anything that comes out from them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No it can't be, but for it to be framed in the manner of this article? I don't think so.

Like others noted NY Post has a bias and the writing suit the crud they put out. Even Canadians know it's best to skip past anything that comes out from them.
Except I do enjoy reading their articles when both the NY Giants and Jets are having miserable seasons! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Honestly, could not have written a more perfect embodiment of “northeastern sports guy writing about college sports.” Perfect blend of harrumph harrumphs and dog whistles. 10/10
Right. "dOg wHiStLeS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog