La La Land | The Boneyard

La La Land

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Saw it on HBO. Cute movie, but 14 scalitoing Oscar nominations? Think of some of the great actors and actresses that do not have a statue, and then think about the fact that Emma Stone has one.

Emma Stone has a limited range. She basically plays the same adorable dork every time. She happens to have tremendous chemistry with Ryan Gosling, but so do a lot of actresses. Don't get me wrong, I like Emma Stone. She is one of the most immensely likable A list actresses in Hollywood, and I can almost see her deserving a nomination if she got the right role, but a win, for this movie? That is ridiculous.

Emma Stone's dancing would be acceptable for an off-Broadway production, but that isn't her strong suit. I think her lack of grace is part of what makes her so likable, but she looks like a mannequin dancing with Ryan Gosling since she is so stiff.

Moving past that, the Ryan Gosling character is two dimensional and unoriginal, the misunderstood loner who thinks he is smarter than everyone else because he likes jazz. Emma Stone's character is only slightly deeper and more original, but not by much.

I didn't like that the supporting cast were all nobodies. Recognizable actors make it a lot easier to follow a big movie that has a lot of fast moving scenes.

All that said, my biggest single issue, and likely the source of the Oscar love, is that the movie is a 2 hour circle jerk to Hollywood. This ground has been covered in a hundred movies, and more recently even in TV shows like Entourage that satirize the industry that this movie is trying to glorify. Again, the movie is actually reasonably entertaining, and the music is decent, but I just don't get the Oscar love.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
All that said, my biggest single issue, and likely the source of the Oscar love, is that the movie is a 2 hour circle jerk to Hollywood. This ground has been covered in a hundred movies, and more recently even in TV shows like Entourage that satirize the industry that this movie is trying to glorify. Again, the movie is actually reasonably entertaining, and the music is decent, but I just don't get the Oscar love.

Many big Oscar winning movies seem to be circle jerks to Hollywood, in different ways. 'Crash' comes to mind. The entire concept of the Oscars is a circle jerk anyway.

It's kind of an insider popularity contest. Still can't believe Emma Stone got one at this point in her career and it took somebody Leo like 30 years. With some damn good roles under his belt.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I have to say I really liked this movie. And while it is undoubtably about Hollywood, it's also a very pleasant love story that is effectively carried by the musical themes. I agree that this was a little bit of a stretch for Stone and she was just at the bottom point of acceptable both in your singing and dancing, but she definitely was acceptable. Gosling on the other hand seemed really comfortable with the dancing and was adequate with his singing.

And while stone is young for an Oscar, sometimes it is as much the vehicle as the actor or actress that generates a win. I think that was the case here. But, again, it was entirely deserved as she really stretched yourself for this role and did it effectively.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I like Emma and will watch the movie when it's on again at a reasonable time. No, I don't see her as a singer and a dancer but she's fun to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom