LA Has To Take Paige | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LA Has To Take Paige

Reaction Score
Her NIL doesn’t stop when she leaves college. It might reduce or it might grow, but it doesn’t just stop.
Yeah it technically does because a professional endorsement contract and an NIL deal are completely separate legal arrangements, and potentially constructed under different state law regimes. There are tax issues to consider as well.

I'm not going to take up space with the minutiae but trust me when I say the two are completely different animals.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Paige returns next year to play with the injured bigs and the wonderful freshmen we have now, plus Azzi.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Paige will make the decision that works for her. I don't think it's about money. It's about her, her teammates - especially Azzi.

I believe in her heart, those friendships are her first priority.

Reaction Score
She may come back or she may not. There are valid reasons for each. I would be a little disappointed if she left without a title but I would understand it.

Reaction Score
Assuming Paige declares for the draft, the question is how much will Reeve be willing to offer Magic Johnson (who likes mega stars and so would want Paige in a city of stars) and what would he be willing to take for the #2 pick? I feel the L.A. coach would more willing to deal if he could get a big center and a shooter. But Magic (who is in the ownership group), less likely.

We know Minnesota coach Cheryl Reeve and the entire bb loving part of the state is eager to land the home town super star. Paige would be huge fan favorite. A couple of draft picks and Diamond Miller, would that do it?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I have felt all season that the four fourth-year players would leave after this year. Aubrey's injury changes that. In the case of the other three, they have little to gain basketball-wise by coming back and a lot to gain by getting with their careers. (Nika and Aaliyah could improve their shooting a little, but it wouldn't be worth delaying their careers for that.)

As others have noted, the timing of Aubrey's injury puts her in a real bind. What strikes me as the most rational thing to do (rational to me, not necessarily Aubs) would be to return for her COVID year, and use the second half of next season to get back in game shape and hope for good things in the draft. I had her projected to be taken in the second half of the second round. She might not make a roster, but she does have some things to offer a team. Otherwise, she could rehab at UConn this spring, but then where would she go? Milwaukee to work out when the Bucks were in town? I hope coming back does not affect Geno's recruitment/portal options. I'd love it if he could add a rebounder to the squad. If Paige were to leave, it would be nice to add Chen for point guard depth.

Regarding Paige, here are the reasons that, in the cumulative, might induce her to return:

1. She might benefit from another year of gaining strength and bulk before hitting the pro hardwood (literally).
2. She might wish, a la Sabrina I., to take another stab at a National Championship. Such an outcome is highly unlikely this year.
3. Her legacy. Even if she completes this year healthy, she'll have played here only about 2 and a half years total. She might want a more complete legacy (see 2.) including more team and individual milestones.
4. I don't think coming back just to play again with Azzi is enough of a reason to return by itself, but she might want to be around all her teammates again as well as the coaches.

I'm not sure any one of these points by itself is enough to bring her back, but again, when all factors are considered, they might be enough.

I most certainly do hope she comes back. And if doing so entices a recruit or two to commit to UConn, all the better! :cool:

Reaction Score
Her NIL doesn’t stop when she leaves college. It might reduce or it might grow, but it doesn’t just stop.
True, but I’m pretty sure (if $ has much to do with it, which I doubt) that she makes enough already to where the $70 grand she would make that first year would not be a factor.

Reaction Score
I have felt all season that the four fourth-year players would leave after this year. Aubrey's injury changes that. In the case of the other three, they have little to gain basketball-wise by coming back and a lot to gain by getting with their careers. (Nika and Aaliyah could improve their shooting a little, but it wouldn't be worth delaying their careers for that.)

As others have noted, the timing of Aubrey's injury puts her in a real bind. What strikes me as the most rational thing to do (rational to me, not necessarily Aubs) would be to return for her COVID year, and use the second half of next season to get back in game shape and hope for good things in the draft. I had her projected to be taken in the second half of the second round. She might not make a roster, but she does have some things to offer a team. Otherwise, she could rehab at UConn this spring, but then where would she go? Milwaukee to work out when the Bucks were in town? I hope coming back does not affect Geno's recruitment/portal options. I'd love it if he could add a rebounder to the squad. If Paige were to leave, it would be nice to add Chen for point guard depth.

Regarding Paige, here are the reasons that, in the cumulative, might induce her to return:

1. She might benefit from another year of gaining strength and bulk before hitting the pro hardwood (literally).
2. She might wish, a la Sabrina I., to take another stab at a National Championship. Such an outcome is highly unlikely this year.
3. Her legacy. Even if she completes this year healthy, she'll have played here only about 2 and a half years total. She might want a more complete legacy (see 2.) including more team and individual milestones.
4. I don't think coming back just to play again with Azzi is enough of a reason to return by itself, but she might want to be around all her teammates again as well as the coaches.

I'm not sure any one of these points by itself is enough to bring her back, but again, when all factors are considered, they might be enough.

I most certainly do hope she comes back. And if doing so entices a recruit or two to commit to UConn, all the better! :cool:
I agree with all of your points and I'll just add one thing. Ever since PB hurt her knee against ND I've been 80% convinced she'd be coming back for at least one more year because Fudd had just arrived that season. However, I went to 100% as soon as Fudd got injured this year. Because IMO there's nothing about playing a season in the WNBA that would compare to playing in front of big crowds at Gampel and the XL and taking one last shot at a NC with her best friend.

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if Paige and Aubrey are not playing for UConn next season! I think Paige is happy here and is mature and grounded enough to know that money (especially as she is already making a comfortable living with NIL) is not the basis on which to make a decision to leave a situation where she, by her own admission, is very happy.

As for Aubrey, I’m not sure what her financial situation is like. I’m reasonably sure she is also making a substantial amount of NIL money but regardless of that, like Paige I doubt that $ will be the deciding factor. I believe most predictions have her possibly being drafted mid to late second round. I think it’s fair to say that her play this season, had it continued through to the end, would certainly have had an upward effect on her potential draft position.

Assuming that to be the case, if she were to go all out in her rehab, perhaps hire a personal trainer/shot guru over the last part of the summer, is it not likely/possible she could elevate herself into the first round by the end of next season? If she spent next season showing a solid and willing shooting stroke in addition to her already great rebounding, transition, and defensive skills I think she would raise her draft value tremendously.

She really has only one thing that is holding her back and that is her reluctance/inability to shoot the ball consistently. Other than that, she is a treasure for almost any coach, a difference maker that has the ability to change the flow of a game simply by exerting her will. Imagine if she were also a competent scorer as well?

Reaction Score
If Paige comes out to the WNBA...why wouldn't she go to the Lynx...she is a natural in that market.
No pro is going to the Minnesota market when the Los Angeles market is an option. The go pro to impact their sport and market themselves and no market (maybe NY) is at the same level than LA.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Paige's case is a bit different from Nika's and Aaliyah's in that she missed an entire year of play. Not a fourth-year in terms of years played.
You got me!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As for Aubrey, I’m not sure what her financial situation is like. ...
Hmmm ... since her Daddy is a head coach for a very successful NBA team, I think she has a funding source available if she wishes to postpone her own pro career for another year. And I think her father would be supportive, based on his public statements.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Hmmm ... since her Daddy is a head coach for a very successful NBA team, I think she has a funding source available if she wishes to postpone her own pro career for another year. And I think her father would be supportive, based on his public statements.
Has he made public statements regarding her injury? Just askin'.

Reaction Score
True, but I’m pretty sure (if $ has much to do with it, which I doubt) that she makes enough already to where the $70 grand she would make that first year would not be a factor.
I do agree with that. But, LA is where she could become a celeb and( down the line, turn her brand into megabucks. Courtside with Magic at Laker games etc. tinsel town

Reaction Score
IMO, whether Paige stays another year or heads to the W will not be based on NIL or which team is likely to draft her. I think her decision will come down to whether or not she wants to make one more run at a national championship with her teammates, particularly Azzi, with the hope that both she and Azzi would be healthy for the entire season, something we really haven’t experienced in the 3 seasons they have played together.
I think this looks like a major factor as well. When we recruited Azzi and Caroline I envisioned three great years with Paige at PG, Azzi at SG, and Caroline at SF. Instead those three have never been healthy at the same time. How well they could do together is still an unanswered question.

Another factor is Paige's legacy. After her freshmen season it appeared she might be heading toward Uconn's Mt. Rushmore, perhaps joining Diana, Maya and Stewie. It is a very high bar to be mentioned with those three, including multiple national championships and being the #1 pick in the WNBA draft. Both of those standards are unlikely this year because of injuries and the probable selection of Clark or even Brink ahead of Paige this year. Next year a much better chance of a championship and being the #1 pick. If she wants to be remembered as one of Uconn's all time greats, there is still plenty of unfinished business.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I don't think coming back just to play again with Azzi is enough of a reason to return by itself, but she might want to be around all her teammates again as well as the coaches

Hmmm we can't underestimate the importance of a really good close friend, remember Paige talked Azzi into coming to UConn and maybe Azzi is pushing the idea of staying and leaving together....just a thought

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom