Kyla's First Start and First Post-game Interview | The Boneyard

Kyla's First Start and First Post-game Interview

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

How'd you learn about the start? Coach came in and gave me the nod. "He was pretty nonchalant. Which was good...." Has anyone ever used "nonchalant and Geno" in the same sentence? Paragraph? Building?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Kyla will never be spectacular, she does all the little things necessary to win games: sets picks, boxes out, takes charges, passes the ball well and she has become a very capable shooter from 3 when defenders back off her.

With all that going for her, the best thing about Kyla right now is that Geno trusts her. She will continue to get minutes in prime time for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She also has a very sweet three point shot, which she is now taking with confidence. It makes her really valuable because the opponents will be hesitant to double-team off her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What bothered me in the Seton Hall game was the times KLS and Collier looked at Kyla standing alone wide open waiting to catch and shoot and they both ignored her. When someone finally passed to her she hit her first three. Also, this is the second game in which CW had double figure points in the first quarter and none in the second quarter, except in this game no points the rest of the game. When she is hot the team needs to keep her involved offensively, imo. Maybe I missed something.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kyla has the full range of shot making abilities, though her jumper is more a bounce AND she is virtually ambidexterous down low, which is a handy :)rolleyes:) thing to have.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While KLS and Napheesa hesitate passing Kyla the ball, Crystal doesn't.

What bothered me in the Seton Hall game was the times KLS and Collier looked at Kyla standing alone wide open waiting to catch and shoot and they both ignored her. When someone finally passed to her she hit her first three. Also, this is the second game in which CW had double figure points in the first quarter and none in the second quarter, except in this game no points the rest of the game. When she is hot the team needs to keep her involved offensively, imo. Maybe I missed something.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So I had a busy weekend and finally sat down last night to watch the game. I specifically keyed on on Kyla as much as I could. In the past, she mostly spent her time on the floor setting screens and immediately passing the ball when she got it. It's possible that's been changing gradually but...

In the game vs. SHU I noticed she did much more. Tips on rebounding both offense and defense to other UCONN players to keep the offensive possession alive or prevent SHU from an O-board. Some very nice passes for assists (or blown layups that should have been assists). She drained the 3 with confidence. Given her foot speed, she played competent defense and was good on the rotational help-side defense as well.

I realize she's limited and will likely never be asked to play significant minutes in a big game, but what she DOES do is spell a starter, and rarely makes a mistake. Yes I'd like to see her look for her shot more. But part of that is due to her teammates as well. Not only are they great players, but I also noticed several times Lou or Crystal would probe-drive into the defense, drawing defenders, and Kyla was to the side or behind wide open. They SHOULD have passed to her for the open 3 shot, but they did not. I'd also like to see her in the high post like Stef and Gabby used to do, but not sure if she'd be effective there. She's certainly a solid passer.

I love what Kyla brings and gives the team. As she said in her interview, the coaches know what she can give them and she does it with maximum 100% effort at all times. Kudos to her. Great kid, teammate, and representative of what it means to be a UCONN Husky...!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I will agree that her team mates seem reluctant to pass the ball to Kyla at times. But as many have noted, Kyla needs time playing with the more established stars to become more effective. The converse of that is also true. They need time on the court with her to enable them to view her as a legitimate threat. We should see a change all around with her getting more quality minutes. I ,for one, cannot wait to see her improvement on display !

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
So I had a busy weekend and finally sat down last night to watch the game. I specifically keyed on on Kyla as much as I could. In the past, she mostly spent her time on the floor setting screens and immediately passing the ball when she got it. It's possible that's been changing gradually but...

In the game vs. SHU I noticed she did much more. Tips on rebounding both offense and defense to other UCONN players to keep the offensive possession alive or prevent SHU from an O-board. Some very nice passes for assists (or blown layups that should have been assists). She drained the 3 with confidence. Given her foot speed, she played competent defense and was good on the rotational help-side defense as well.

I realize she's limited and will likely never be asked to play significant minutes in a big game, but what she DOES do is spell a starter, and rarely makes a mistake. Yes I'd like to see her look for her shot more. But part of that is due to her teammates as well. Not only are they great players, but I also noticed several times Lou or Crystal would probe-drive into the defense, drawing defenders, and Kyla was to the side or behind wide open. They SHOULD have passed to her for the open 3 shot, but they did not. I'd also like to see her in the high post like Stef and Gabby used to do, but not sure if she'd be effective there. She's certainly a solid passer.

I love what Kyla brings and gives the team. As she said in her interview, the coaches know what she can give them and she does it with maximum 100% effort at all times. Kudos to her. Great kid, teammate, and representative of what it means to be a UCONN Husky...!
A lot of people wouldn't have bet on Maria Conlon playing as much as she did. Next year we're going to need Kyla to play more minutes imho.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Obviously, Megan will be regain her starting position at Oklahoma and ONO will be first off the bench. What will interesting to me is whether Kyla gets early first minutes or does she go back to the 10 or 12 minutes she was getting pre-Megan sickness We will soon find out whether Kyla's St.Louis and and SH games increases the coaches trust in her.

By the way, Kyla's career three point shooting percentage does not really warrant her getting kick out passes from the other players. It is a lot better this year but the previous two years, not so much.

Reaction Score
She also has a very sweet three point shot, which she is now taking with confidence. It makes her really valuable because the opponents will be hesitant to double-team off her.

She brought that "sweet" 3 from PA if you watch the videos of her in high school. Sometimes I have to remind myself that all of these players were stars before they arrived at Storrs. A few can manage to step down in status by stepping up as team players. Given the severe shrinkage in the Husky team's numbers, Kyla's importance has grown with her ability to make concrete contributions. Her serious weight loss, dedication to the group, non-stop effort, as well as her growing skill set make her a true unsung hero(ine). We're lucky to have her (and Molly, and Mikayla). AND, yes, they're nice people, too. Heartfelt thanks.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I just like this kid. How hard it must be to be the “it” player in high school, then come to UConn and get, at best, a handful of minutes. She has character and bb smarts. Bigger and better things lie in the future. You go, Kyla.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I could see Irwin sticking around as a Student Asst. coach after she graduates.
Kyla's mother is a coach. I have always thought that Kyla's future as a "pro" is as a coach, not as a player. Who better to learn from than the Godfather? Ask Jackie Fernandez.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom