Kyla on Storrs Central | The Boneyard

Kyla on Storrs Central

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Type "Kyla" in their search box. Was the first article that came up.

Thanks for the assist. Nice article with a little more psychological insight into how Geno assesses Kyla's career.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually a really well written article. The line about how Kyla's performance, while terrific, "was not against the most fearsome opponent in Virginia", among others. Nice stuff at the end with a wonderful quote by Geno:

At the same time, this type of performance proves Irwin is capable of playing at this level. It isn’t a question of “can she do it?” but “will she do it?” That in of itself is an improvement from past seasons.

It also helps that one of Irwin’s biggest supporters is her head coach. Auriemma doesn’t want her to do well just because UConn needs her to. He wants the senior to do well because she deserves it.

Hopefully, she’ll get a tremendous reward,” he said after the UVA game. “I hope she does. She works so hard, she’s a great teammate and I like to see those kids get rewarded. So I was thrilled for her today
.”

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that both Geno and Kyla recognized that she was trying to do too much. I remember in early-middle of Kelly Faris's freshman year, she was only getting about 10 minutes a game. Geno recognized that she was trying to do too much and she was a little out of control. When he asked her about it, she said something to the effect that she's only out there for five minutes at a time, and she was trying to fit everything she could do into those five minutes.

Kyla has drawn something like 5-6 charges this season. When Kelly really shone in hear senior year after flying under the radar (to the national press) for three years, a lot of coaches who had seen her but not recruited her wondered what UConn had seen in her that they hadn't. A reporter asked Chris Dailey about that, and CD replied "The first game I saw her in, she took a charge." I doubt stuff like that affects the rating services, and it's attention to little details like that, that separates CD, Geno, and the gang from everyone else.

Kyla's uncanny knack for taking charges is one of the things I love about her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Surprised ND wasn't all in for her... :rolleyes:
As I recall, they were the only elite program other than UConn who offered her. I would hate to think how UConn would have fared in those years if she had worn a shamrock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom