Kyla Irwin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin

Reaction Score
I agree---I didn't say I'd compare her to Kelly Faris--far from that --some may, not me. I like Irwin. Faris couldn't hit a 3 regularly until her senior year. Geno complained the opponent defense with Kelly in the line up played 5 on 4. And that proved true in many games--the defense laid off of her --she wouldn't /couldn/t shoot the 3. Irwin hits the 3 as a soph on a near regular basis and getting better, defense lays off of her at their regret.
As pointed out earlier in this thread, Irwin is shooting 27% from 3 right now. Faris shot 31% her sophomore season. As a sophomore, Kelly Faris led her team in minutes played, because of the trust Geno had in her, while Irwin plays 8 mpg, mostly after the outcome of the game has been decided. You say that Irwin is "more talented," which is a vague, subjective assertion, but by any objective measure, there is no comparison, none, between Faris and Irwin at this point in their careers.

Reaction Score
She is doing all the little things she should and has made a marked improvement in knowledge, spacing and in conditioning. However she has to stop fouling! She committed 3 fouls in a very short amount of time and that has to stop. It’s a bad pattern she has. Other than that, she is a coach in the making.
I take issue with about half the fouls called on her. It is almost as though the refs are pre-programmed to make calls against her. In many cases, if you watch Kyla closely, she doesn't even come in contact with the opposing player. She has her arms both straight up and she jumps straight up, in the space to which she is entitled. But they call the fouls anyway. I don't think it is right or fair.

Reaction Score
Please, Irwin and Bent will never start.[ ] I will stop there. [Irwin] could make a difference at lower level D1, a team not in or near the top 25. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I take issue with about half the fouls called on her. It is almost as though the refs are pre-programmed to make calls against her. In many cases, if you watch Kyla closely, she doesn't even come in contact with the opposing player. She has her arms both straight up and she jumps straight up, in the space to which she is entitled. But they call the fouls anyway. I don't think it is right or fair.
I've wondered that same thing. You're right of course, it's not fair.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
She gets called for fouls at a much higher rate than the other posts. I think that Irwin is doing something that the refs are seeing as a foul. I haven't watched her that close but it's possible that when she is defending with her arms straight up, she is also using her feet and body to move her opponent.

It's ridiculous to think that the refs might be ganging up on her.

Reaction Score
As pointed out earlier in this thread, Irwin is shooting 27% from 3 right now. Faris shot 31% her sophomore season. As a sophomore, Kelly Faris led her team in minutes played, because of the trust Geno had in her, while Irwin plays 8 mpg, mostly after the outcome of the game has been decided. You say that Irwin is "more talented," which is a vague, subjective assertion, but by any objective measure, there is no comparison, none, between Faris and Irwin at this point in their careers.
With all due respect to both players, so far, not sure I see any comparison between Faris and Irwin. Kelly played big minutes as you point out since she filled a niche Geno needed. Great defense, passing, consistent, etc. Irwin may prove herself in future, but she is getting minutes appropriate to the skill(s) she has exhibited to date.

Reaction Score
She's easily my favorite non-starter and will play a much bigger role in her final 2 seasons. Go Kyla!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Kyla will never be the defender Kelly was. But she is a much more able and confident offensive player, but with a caveat. Kelly played against everyone in all types of situations. Kyla does get to play against starters when the other coach keeps starters in even when they no longer have a winning chance. Not all that much motivation. She plays more against bench players. I’m a fan of hers and would like to see how she would do when UConn isn’t lapping the field. He hardly ever puts her in in the first half even up 20 or 25. That tells me he doesn’t have much confidence in her D or rebounding against starters, even inferior teams. I put no stock in her 3 point shooting percentage. She comes in cold in usually the last quarter. She seems able to make a higher %. I hope she gets the chance.

Reaction Score
She gets called for fouls at a much higher rate than the other posts. I think that Irwin is doing something that the refs are seeing as a foul. I haven't watched her that close but it's possible that when she is defending with her arms straight up, she is also using her feet and body to move her opponent.

It's ridiculous to think that the refs might be ganging up on her.

She isn’t doing anything but fouling, period. Refs aren’t ganging up. They aren’t making bad calls. The fouls are on her

Reaction Score
Kelly, Saniya and Kyla are all hard work, blue worker players.
I like all blue worker players.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
With all due respect to both players, so far, not sure I see any comparison between Faris and Irwin. Kelly played big minutes as you point out since she filled a niche Geno needed. Great defense, passing, consistent, etc. Irwin may prove herself in future, but she is getting minutes appropriate to the skill(s) she has exhibited to date.

One thing I've been watching closely for the last few games is Kyla's positioning on defense when she's in the post and a shot goes up. She is frequently in the right position to get a rebound, and almost always finds a player to box out. Her perimeter defense has improved, but not as much as protecting the lane has.

I loved the way she speaks out in the huddles (even without having any idea what she's talking about) and the way the players listen intently.

And I'm in agreement with those perplexed by many of the foul calls on Kyla, especially when she's contesting a shot.

Reaction Score
Please see this list;

Following is the complete 2012-13 USBWA Women’s All-America Team:

Kelsey Bone, Texas A&M, C, 6-4, Jr., Houston, Texas
Elena Delle Donne, Delaware, G/F, 6-5, Sr., Wilmington, Del.
Skylar Diggins, Notre Dame, G, 5-9, Sr., South Bend, Ind.
Stefanie Dolson, Connecticut, C, 6-5, Jr., Port Jervis, N.Y.
Brittney Griner, Baylor, C, 6-8, Sr., Houston, Texas
Maggie Lucas, Penn State, G, 5-10, Jr., Narberth, Pa.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Connecticut, F, 6-0, So., Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Chiney Ogwumike, Stanford, F, 6-3, Jr., Cypress, Texas
Odyssey Sims, Baylor, G, 5-9, Jr., Irving, Texas
Alyssa Thomas, Maryland, F, 6-2, Jr., Harrisburg, Pa.

Try as I might, I don't see Kelly Faris's name on this list. I like Kyla, but let's be serious, there is no discussion on who is the better player.

Kelly Faris
2013 All-NCAA Tournament Team
• 2013 NCAA Tournament All-Bridgeport Regional Team
• 2012-13 USBWA All-America Team
• 2012-13 Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American
• 2012-13 All-BIG EAST Second Team
• 2012-13 BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year
• 2012-13 BIG EAST Most Improved Player
• 2012-13 Wooden Award Midseason Watch List
• 2012-13 Naismith Trophy Preseason Watch List
• 2010-11 BIG EAST Honorable Mention
• 2009-10 BIG EAST All-Rookie Team

Sophomore season; 7.8 pts/game 6.7 rebounds 3.7 assists

Hard to make an argument so far that Irwin is the better player. Not impossible, but hard.

Reaction Score
While I enjoy your posts and usually agree with you - am I reading your post correctly? You think Irwin is more talented than Faris? If that's what you meant, I do have to disagree.

Faris was one of the most gifted defenders UCONN has ever had. She was athletic, tenacious, and literally gave 100% effort every second she was on the court. She was a consensus top 10-15 kid coming out of high school, and had USA basketball experience on 2 teams (U18 and U19). Kelly averaged 19 MPG as a freshman and started every game the rest of her career from sophomore season on.

While I love what Irwin is showing us this season, she's nowhere near the player Faris was... I personally will be thrilled if Irwin has a career that mirrors Gardler's - eventually earning lots of PT off the bench her senior season...
She’s way ahead of Gardler.

Reaction Score
Please, Irwin and Bent will never start.[ ] I will stop there. [Irwin] could make a difference at lower level D1, a team not in or near the top 25. [ ]
Never say never. Anything can happen.
Things change and wisdom grows.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
\I knew when I posted that --that Faris is an Emotional favorite. Your opinions are yours and the way you think you saw Kelly.

I'm having a hard time understanding this. Kelly Faris was the shut down defender who was put on the other teams best offensive player to shut them down. That's not an opinion, that's what happened. It's OK for you not to like her much, but you can't blow off facts and then say it's just an opinion.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Irwin will start. On senior night.

However, Geno trusts what he will get from her. That is not a small thing. In fact, numerous times he has said it is one of his most important standards.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One thing I've been watching closely for the last few games is Kyla's positioning on defense when she's in the post and a shot goes up. She is frequently in the right position to get a rebound, and almost always finds a player to box out. Her perimeter defense has improved, but not as much as protecting the lane has.

I loved the way she speaks out in the huddles (even without having any idea what she's talking about) and the way the players listen intently.

And I'm in agreement with those perplexed by many of the foul calls on Kyla, especially when she's contesting a shot.
I'm curious. How do you know Kyla has no idea what she is talking about?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm curious. How do you know Kyla has no idea what she is talking about?

Geno seems to think she’s “getting it.” He said so in an interview last week. But then, he doesn’t know what he is talking about either, I guess.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Geno seems to think she’s “getting it.” He said so in an interview last week. But then, he doesn’t know what he is talking about either, I guess.

Jeeezus - read the post by crossover.

Reaction Score
What does 20/20/20 mean?

Wilt's the only one who's done a double triple double, so that's not it...
20/20/20 means when a team is up 20 pts, down 20 pts, or only 20 seconds left in the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom