Kyla Irwin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin

Reaction Score
Worst case scenario for Kyla? that she continues to be a real gamer, hustling in practice and a small role player with the influx of talent at the 4 and 5 the next couple of years. Some international professional experience. Then a satisfying coaching career and a lot of respect from teammates at every stage of her life.
Best case scenario? I hate to put a ceiling on anyone's future, especially someone so young. But let's believe that things click for her--as they so often do for sophomores in this highly complex and challenging offensive/defensive system--and that she gets increasing minutes, because, while maybe not as physically gifted as some others, she is always in the right place and is an effective complimentary teammate to some supremely talented players. Then an enjoyable, if not starring professional career, and then still a satisfying coaching career.
Either way, a credit to UConn and to herself.

Reaction Score
Refreshing to note the absence of Irwin Insults and Bent Bashes.

Have people really been bashing the freshmen? I haven't seen that. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone bash any UConn girl on here. I have seen people give their honest evaluation, but nothing mean spirited. If there has been bashing, that's just wrong.

Molly and Kyla were not elite recruits according to the services. It is going to take time but I think they both will be major contributors their junior and senior years. Molly just needs confidence and Kyla just needs time.

Reaction Score
bashing is a relative term, so folks will differ as to whether or not it happened. But, FWIW, I do think they were bashed. By that, I mean they were criticized with very little data to draw a solid conclusion from and very little slack cut considering they are freshmen trying to break into a highly complex system and a highly visible team.

Reaction Score
Bent and Irwin--
I, like some others, forget that Geno recruits with specific purposes--- as a foundation - team players, hard workers, willing to sacrifice, nice people, & smart players. Bent and Irwin have all those qualities---as does every UConn recruit. Geno has stated he needs to have 2 elite players every year to stay at the top. Well that leaves one or two who are role players. What role can they play? Geno has a general idea of "what they can do well." However, no one knows, not even Geno, if the players will develop enough to be the 6th, 7th or 8th player off the bench. We all know that in crunch time Geno rarely, if ever, goes past 7-8 deep. Butler has made it. Of course, Crystal is in that group. That's seven. If Crystal is healthy Bent will get little time. I don't think Irwin will develop enough to get there this year either. Nevertheless, IMHO, I see Bent and Irwin with a solid chance of being valuable bench players if they develop one or two assets (think Stokes.) Bent is a solid defender, decent passer, and is smart. Irwin can be sneaky good. She can shoot outside and score some inside. She is a good high post passer. Whether they do or whether they don't -- Geno recruited these two players for their personalities and that will hold them in good stead if they become deep bench players because the TEAM is the most important thing and they will do whatever is necessary to help the team win. Look at T. Law.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes. That's why I posted. In a lot of ways readier than Molly. Right now Molly is getting even some first half minutes probably because of Dangerfields absence. But Geno
must think she's not ready to mix with the starters because only Butler is going in as a front court sub.
Generally speaking, forwards and centers need more time to adjust when moving up a level, such as high school to college or college to pros. They need to adjust to the speed and physicality of the game, and the latter is more pronounced in the paint.

Reaction Score
Nice kid but have you all been watching the top teams? The quickness, speed, jumping that's just sitting on the bench. No bigger fan than me but let's keep it real. This is an athletic event, who will she play in front of next season? As for the big games coming up, SC and then the sweet sixteen... Geno has 7 if CD gets healthy. And I really hope she gets healthy.
There may be better pianists that Kyla, but Kyla is playing at Carnegie Hall. You keep on going Kyla.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Bent and Irwin--
I, like some others, forget that Geno recruits with specific purposes--- as a foundation - team players, hard workers, willing to sacrifice, nice people, & smart players. Bent and Irwin have all those qualities---as does every UConn recruit. Geno has stated he needs to have 2 elite players every year to stay at the top. Well that leaves one or two who are role players. What role can they play? Geno has a general idea of "what they can do well." However, no one knows, not even Geno, if the players will develop enough to be the 6th, 7th or 8th player off the bench. We all know that in crunch time Geno rarely, if ever, goes past 7-8 deep. Butler has made it. Of course, Crystal is in that group. That's seven. If Crystal is healthy Bent will get little time. I don't think Irwin will develop enough to get there this year either. Nevertheless, IMHO, I see Bent and Irwin with a solid chance of being valuable bench players if they develop one or two assets (think Stokes.) Bent is a solid defender, decent passer, and is smart. Irwin can be sneaky good. She can shoot outside and score some inside. She is a good high post passer. Whether they do or whether they don't -- Geno recruited these two players for their personalities and that will hold them in good stead if they become deep bench players because the TEAM is the most important thing and they will do whatever is necessary to help the team win. Look at T. Law.
A lot of people forget that Geno, in specific years, does NOT always get the players he really wants. That being said, Geno's biggest attribute IS recruiting really good players which fit into the program. When he does not have a really good recruiting year, he makes up for it in the years which follow.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Have people really been bashing the freshmen? I haven't seen that. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone bash any UConn girl on here. I have seen people give their honest evaluation, but nothing mean spirited. If there has been bashing, that's just wrong.
Well you are kind of new here, and it's been awhile, but there were times in the past where some major bashing went on. Conlon for instance received some of the worst abuse from some so called UCONN fans.

Reaction Score
Kyla has shown in games that she can shoot inside and out, has some good inside moves, runs the floor well, posts up and blocks out. In at least one game she was first off the bench. Not bad for anyone, let alone a freshman.

Reaction Score

Molly and Kyla were not elite recruits according to the services. It is going to take time but I think they both will be major contributors their junior and senior years. Molly just needs confidence and Kyla just needs time.
Kyla just needs to play smart and she will likely get minutes. She appears to have the skills to be a consistent sub but against 2nd and 3rd team talent from poor teams, she has made a number of poor fouls and turned the ball over on inside passes. Glad to see her perform better but realistically this has been only for 3+ games against poor competition. Suggest "bashing" not appropriate but she has also not earned "playing great" status or consistent prime time minutes.

Reaction Score
Well you are kind of new here, and it's been awhile, but there were times in the past where some major bashing went on. Conlon for instance received some of the worst abuse from some so called UCONN fans.

You being an Arsenal fan, know the true meaning of "bashing".

Go gunners!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Temple is next. Should be a good game.

Tony

Heavens to Betsy that I disagree with anything you write...but:

In its last 5 games (4 wins against our less than distinguished conference foes),

Temple has scored: 58,69,66,63 and 51 in the loss to S Florida, That averages out to 61.4
In prognosticating their score, should we not shave 10 points for UConn's superior D?

Does anyone think they can stay within 30 points of us with 51.4 points? (Certainly a reasonable assumption).

Methinks another blowout; big time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tony
Heavens to Betsy that I disagree with anything you write...but:
In its last 5 games (4 wins against our less than distinguished conference foes),
Temple has scored: 58,69,66,63 and 51 in the loss to S Florida, That averages out to 61.4
In prognosticating their score, should we not shave 10 points for UConn's superior D?
Does anyone think they can stay within 30 points of us with 51.4 points? (Certainly a reasonable assumption).
Methinks another blowout; big time.
I'm not sure that how it works: Make an assumption and then immediately declare your assumption to be "reasonable".
Seems like you are asking two questions:
1) Do we think Temple will score more than 51.4 points against UCONN?
2) Do you think temple will be within 30 points of UCONN?
My answer to both is yes. Last time UCONN played Temple in Philly both things happened. The score was 85 to 60.
Am I being unreasonable?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that how it works: Make an assumption and then immediately declare your assumption to be "reasonable".
Seems like you are asking two questions:
1) Do we think Temple will score more than 51.4 points against UCONN?
2) Do you think temple will be within 30 points of UCONN?
My answer to both is yes. Last time UCONN played Temple in Philly both things happened. The score was 85 to 60.
Am I being unreasonable?

If Temple scored 51 against South Fla, then I would not expect them to score 9 points more against us
(unless Geno plays the 2nd team for a half).
Especially as the averages of their last 5 games above are what they are.
Not unreasonable, but perhaps unlikely.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

IIRC Kelly Faris also received some harsh criticism from some alleged UCONN fans. I have opinions re: the merits of UCONN players, but I root for them all when they're on the court. ALL players have +'s and -'s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom