Kyla Irwin signs with a professional agency | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin signs with a professional agency

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kyla Irwin is making a bid to play professional basketball in Europe. The UConn graduate signed with Flash Agency, a Greece-based agency that represents numerous American players overseas. Currently, there are seven former Huskies signed to play in Europe: Napheesa Collier (Hatay Büyükşehir Belediyespor) and Bria Hartley (Galatasaray Basketbol) in Turkey, Batouly Camara (CB Bembibre) and Katie Lou Samuelson (CB Avenida) in Spain, Megan Walker and Gabby Williams (Sopron Basket) in Hungary and Evelyn Adebayo (Phantoms Boom) in Belgium. #FlashAgency #BasketballAgency

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Awww, I LOVE that! Good for her. She was a great story while at UCONN and loved her heart and determination. I wish her much success in all her endeavors, but specifically this most recent foray into professional basketball. GO KYLA!!!

Reaction Score
More power to her if she can make it, but I can't help but think she might have been motivated by Camara and Adebayo getting offers, considering they barely played this year.

After her freshman year at Kentucky, Camara might have been considered a possible pro in Europe, and same for Adebayo after a junior year at Murray State where she put up big numbers and looked pretty good in highlight videos.

I presume in Camara's case it was bad knees, but I was really surprised Adebayo wasn't a regular in the rotation. She had a very unusual collegiate career. Not really impressive numbers at all her first two years, then blossoming as the team's best player by far at Murray State, then becoming a non factor at Uconn when she make a big jump in competition.

But it does say something for the program if the tail end of the bench can find employment in foreign professional leagues.

Reaction Score
Kyla had a 46.2% 3pt shooting and that has value. Smart, tough, team player. A team could do alot worse.
I’d like to see her be a little more selfish. She’s good enough to demand her shots.

Reaction Score
The UConn graduate signed with Flash Agency, a Greece-based agency that represents numerous American players overseas. Currently, there are seven former Huskies signed to play in Europe: Napheesa Collier (Hatay Büyükşehir Belediyespor) and Bria Hartley (Galatasaray Basketbol) in Turkey, Batouly Camara (CB Bembibre) and Katie Lou Samuelson (CB Avenida) in Spain, Megan Walker and Gabby Williams (Sopron Basket) in Hungary and Evelyn Adebayo (Phantoms Boom) in Belgium.

I am not quite sure whether The UConn Blog got their information from somewhere else or have been compiling the information themselves, but they are missing a few. Obviously, there is no official repository so it is tricky and it's never really final until a player actually plays. Off the top of my head, Tiffany Hayes is supposed to also play for Avenida, Stefanie Dolson signed with Schio in Italy, and Kiah Stokes remains with Fenerbahce in Turkey.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
With the ban of people from the USA, by many European countries, I am not sure if these players will be able to get to the countries. Some players may now have duel citizenship/passports. I am not 100% sure if that is a way to get around the temporary ban.
I noticed Lou's(and her sister Karlie) team Avenida, in Spain, just signed a former "outside the line" guard to play for them. The article said " Leo Rodríguez, will return to reinforce the outside line of the team, which will be absent for a while."
As Awhom 111 said Tiffany Hayes is also on that team.

Hope they are cleared to travel and play.

Reaction Score
expect there will be many teams trying to land Azura Stevens. looked rather good in last night's game. a really impressive shooting touch, and handles the ball very well for her size. she loves playing in Chicago with Sloot !

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
With the ban of people from the USA, by many European countries, I am not sure if these players will be able to get to the countries. Some players may now have duel citizenship/passports. I am not 100% sure if that is a way to get around the temporary ban.
I noticed Lou's(and her sister Karlie) team Avenida, in Spain, just signed a former "outside the line" guard to play for them. The article said " Leo Rodríguez, will return to reinforce the outside line of the team, which will be absent for a while."
As Awhom 111 said Tiffany Hayes is also on that team.

Hope they are cleared to travel and play.
Well, Karlie made it to Spain.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kyla Irwin
BasCats USC Heidelberg (DBBL) added to their roster American forward Kyla Irwin (188). Irwin just graduated from UConn (NCAA). She has played there for the last four years. She helped them to win AAC Tournament and end the regular season at the top position.
As mentioned above Irwin is just out of the college and it will be her first season as a pro.
Kyla Irwin Basketball Player Profile, BasCats USC Heidelberg, UConn, News, DBBL stats, Career, Games Logs, Best, Awards - eurobasket

Great News. Go get em.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Those fans in the Heidelberg vicinity are actually quite excited. A German friend who has a 10 year old daughter and who I had taken to a "First Night" in Storrs when it was a real spectacle for the ladies sent me the press release from the team...

One quote stood out...

"Das ist das beste Basketball-Collegeprogramm der Welt“ . It needs needs no translation!!!

Attachments

• D7F9A73D-4C38-4D95-81B5-03EF06F62594.pdf
    852.9 KB · Views: 214

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A link to all things Kyla supplied by her agency including her best games

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Now, lets figure out how to get Kyla's team to play Batouly's team. ;)

Reaction Score
So what I get from this between the lines is that Kyla has had a complete recovery from injury and good results with whatever rehab was needed. Seems there is almost zero info on this angle of the story.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So what I get from this between the lines is that Kyla has had a complete recovery from injury and good results with whatever rehab was needed. Seems there is almost zero info on this angle of the story.

Here is a snippet including her health

KYLA IRWIN: GOING PRO IN GERMANY

As I reported in my April 17 column, State College native Kyla Irwin endured a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad time in early March. Hoping to help boost her fifth-ranked University of Connecticut Huskies to a national basketball championship, Irwin first broke a finger in practice on March 6. Then, on March 8 in the semifinals of her conference tournament, she fell to the floor and suffered breaks to her elbow and her ulna. She underwent surgery the next day, March 9.

What else could go wrong? You guessed it: On March 12, COVID-19 caused the official cancellation of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament. Now the all-time leading scorer for State College High School basketball would not only be denied the chance to play in the Women’s March Madness. Now, as her college career closed, she was also denied the opportunity to root for her team.

“It was overwhelming,” said Irwin, a part-time starter as a senior for legendary coach Geno Auriemma. “It was hard to swallow each pill individually. There were a lot of nights where I just cried. It was very defeating—how my senior year ended and I wasn’t able to finish it out.”

But summer provided rest, physical healing (“I’m totally healed; my range of motion is great”) and some wonderful family time for the UConn graduate. The COVID pandemic barred her from group workouts or scrimmages, but that was OK. After six weeks of recovery from surgery this spring, she needed time for solo practice—“just getting back into the rhythm of shooting and dribbling and all that stuff.”

Suddenly, as summer drew to a close, Irwin had good news to report. She had signed a contract with the SNP BasCats USC Heidelberg of the German women’s professional basketball league. She traveled to Germany on Saturday; she’ll start practice Sept. 11 and her season opens Oct. 24.

“It’s going to be really exciting, being away for a while and in a different environment and culture,” Irwin said just prior to her departure from State College. “I am very excited. I can’t believe I’m living out one of my childhood dreams (pro basketball). I feel very fortunate to be in the position that I'm in.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Love this young lady's heart. Here is hoping she will catch on with this Bascat team. She has a lot of basketball skills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom