Kudos to Kyla | The Boneyard

Kudos to Kyla

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The only fault that I could find with Kyla's play during the 1st half, is she did not look for her shot. She passed up open looks to defer to her teammates. Kyla did not take a shot in the 1st half.

Reaction Score
Watched the St. Louis replay and focused on Kyla. First, Geno rewarded her hard work with her first start of her career. I believe a new starter or the first sub in an emergency must follow the Hippocratic oath or "Do No Harm." Kyla does not make many mistakes. She set great picks continuously. She was passing well with a couple of nifty assists to a driving team mate. She had 10 rebounds. She is aware of helping out on D. She fights down low for better position. AT 6'2" she is a solid player and she knows the system. ** I know she passes up shots and needs to score more. IMHO she is the 7th player now.
I also know its jumping ahead, but Kyla will be the 5th starter next year. Who else?

Reaction Score
Irwin is starting to remind me somewhat of the career progression of Kelley Hunt, who played for UConn in the late 1990's. Also a reserve power forward, early in Hunt's career she also had trouble staying on the floor due to foul trouble. By her senior season she had grown into a dependable post player off the bench who could give you some minutes.

Reaction Score
Watched the St. Louis replay and focused on Kyla. First, Geno rewarded her hard work with her first start of her career. I believe a new starter or the first sub in an emergency must follow the Hippocratic oath or "Do No Harm." Kyla does not make many mistakes. She set great picks continuously. She was passing well with a couple of nifty assists to a driving team mate. She had 10 rebounds. She is aware of helping out on D. She fights down low for better position. AT 6'2" she is a solid player and she knows the system. ** I know she passes up shots and needs to score more. IMHO she is the 7th player now.
I also know its jumping ahead, but Kyla will be the 5th starter next year. Who else?
Geno didn’t want to play with Olivia’s head. He knows that Kyla knows the system, and was a safe choice. The last thing he needed was O to get a handful of quick fouls being too eager. Both did well.

Reaction Score
She impressed me with her defense. No one took advantage of her. Solid play.
Fairfield, I watched the game again to make sure I saw the same things twice. When a St. Louis big got the ball down low they consistently were able to shoot over Kyla. On most of her rebounds no one was around her-when contested, others were able to outjump her. Since this was not a top team, this game reinforced her inability to compete against a Top 25 level competitor. Love Kyla's competitiveness and she clearly understands the UConn system. Without sounding too harsh, love she got the start but I don't view her as a rotation player.

Reaction Score
Fairfield, I watched the game again to make sure I saw the same things twice. When a St. Louis big got the ball down low they consistently were able to shoot over Kyla. On most of her rebounds no one was around her-when contested, others were able to outjump her. Since this was not a top team, this game reinforced her inability to compete against a Top 25 level competitor. Love Kyla's competitiveness and she clearly understands the UConn system. Without sounding too harsh, love she got the start but I don't view her as a rotation player.
I completely disagree with your assessment and I was in the 5th row at mid court for the game. She was fighting for the rebounds she got

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The only fault that I could find with Kyla's play during the 1st half, is she did not look for her shot. She passed up open looks to defer to her teammates. Kyla did not take a shot in the 1st half.
Couldn't agree more. Getting boards and setting screens is great, but literally every time she got the ball (it seemed ) she not only didn't look for her shot, she didn't even look at the basket - an immediate pass to a teammate.

While it's great to be a facilitator, given our lack of roster depth, it would be nice to see her a bit more offensive-minded... I do, however, love to see her leadership and effort out there. She's a fantastic teammate for sure...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Last season she looked for her shot and she will look for it again this season. Maybe she wants to concentrate on other parts of her game.

Reaction Score
Well done to Kyla. She knows the offense really well, she sets good screens, she knows how to play in the defensive scheme, what’s not to like.

Reaction Score
I just don’t know where to begin with this comment.
LOL... it has such good intentions I left it alone. I do think if Kyla continues to earn trust she could find herself in a critical game (maybe invoked by foul trouble too,) but our chances of winning a national championship without them are ..... let's say still pretty good : - )

Reaction Score
I just don’t know where to begin with this comment.
OK, I exaggerated a bit. Maybe a lot. I was reacting to Lexie leaving, injury and illness of players, and the physicality of the Notre Dame game. Also, Napheesa still gets into foul trouble. I was worried about the battering Lou takes and remembering Crystal's concussion. I appreciate Kyla and Molly staying while not getting many minutes, just in case.

Reaction Score
OK, I exaggerated a bit. Maybe a lot. I was reacting to Lexie leaving, injury and illness of players, and the physicality of the Notre Dame game. Also, Napheesa still gets into foul trouble. I was worried about the battering Lou takes and remembering Crystal's concussion. I appreciate Kyla and Molly staying while not getting many minutes, just in case.
Keep the faith. They're family

Reaction Score
LOL... it has such good intentions I left it alone. I do think if Kyla continues to earn trust she could find herself in a critical game (maybe invoked by foul trouble too,) but our chances of winning a national championship without them are ..... let's say still pretty good : - )

Yes. I’m a huge Kyla fan. I know there’s a player in there.

Reaction Score

Sounds fair to me.

Reaction Score
She gets another chance to start tomorrow wirth MW likely out with strept throat. Hope she does well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul