Kristine Anigwe ESPNw Player of the week | The Boneyard

Kristine Anigwe ESPNw Player of the week

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My absolute favorite phrase of the day:

Last spring, Gottlieb showed her players an analytical analysis of how they compared to the teams that made the NCAA Sweet 16 and where they fell short. Anigwe took that to heart as she prepared for her senior season.​
Thank goodness she decided to forgo the non-analytical analysis.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here is something I do not say (or see) often at the BY . No argument with this decision. Anigwe's numbers were spectacular and Cal will need every ounce.

Cal's Anigwe is espnW's player of the week

Until UConn meets Cal on December 22, I'm going to keep an eye on the "Golden Bears". At 6-4, I don't think UConn has anyone that can stop or slow her down one on one. I see a double team the entire game. Stop her, and minimize her numbers (take her out of the game) and make someone else beat you. Forget about putting ONO on her. ONO is not ready to try and defend her. She would destroy what little confidence ONO has at this point.

An inexperienced freshman ONO would have 3 fouls in 5 minutes against experienced senior Anigwe. ONO would not last a quarter trying to guard her. Napheesa and some weak side side help are the order of the day when UConn visits Berkeley. Height means little when you're new to this level of play. 6'5" freshman post Charli Collier (Texas) fouled out in 16 minutes of play last week against Duquesne. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My absolute favorite phrase of the day:

Last spring, Gottlieb showed her players an analytical analysis of how they compared to the teams that made the NCAA Sweet 16 and where they fell short. Anigwe took that to heart as she prepared for her senior season.​
Thank goodness she decided to forgo the non-analytical analysis.

Did she include coaches in the analysis?

Reaction Score
At 6-4, I don't think UConn has anyone that can stop or slow her down one on one. I see a double team the entire game. Stop her, and minimize her numbers (take her out of the game) and make someone else beat you. Forget about putting ONO on her. ONO is not ready to try and defend her. She would destroy what little confidence ONO has at this point.

Inexperienced freshman ONO would have 3 fouls in 5 minutes against experienced senior Anigwe. ONO would not last a quarter trying to guard her. Napheesa and some weak side side help are the order of the day when UConn visits Berkeley. Height means little when you're new to this level of play. 6-5 Charli Collier fouled out in 16 minutes of play last week against Duquesne.
I don't have a perfect answer, but we cant afford Napheesa to foul out and Kyla unlikely to be able to even get in her way. Some type of match up zone might be only alternative. If she gets ball down low, having a 6'5" body with long arms (i.e. Ono) between her an basket not a bad alternative.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't have a perfect answer, but we cant afford Napheesa to foul out and Kyla unlikely to be able to even get in her way. Some type of match up zone might be only alternative. If she gets ball down low, having a 6'5" body with long arms (i.e. Ono) between her an basket not a bad alternative.

That could work. I'm sure Geno will figure out something. :)

Reaction Score
I live in Berkeley now, with season tickets to UCB women. While Cal is not yet at UConn's level, Anigwe is the real deal. She is a premier player and Gottlieb is a good coach.
UCB has other good players, including a star first year student. I am hopeful that they will do well this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If she could score 37 against what I think will be a much improved Houston team, Anigwe should prove to be one of the better post players in Division one this year. I know the season just started, but so far, her 37 points is the most by a post player so far this season. Let's see if another post player can eclipse it. The only thing that can hold her back is injury. Let's hope she can dodge that bullet this season, replace Colleen Galloway as Cal's all time leading scorer, and go high in the WNBA draft. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She was good when she was a freshman, yet not many people talked about her.

Reaction Score
I said last week she was ranked too low on the top 25 players list. They have her at 16, she’s like top 8 or at least 10. They rank her so low based off what Cal does every year in my opinion. She’ll probably do well against UConn, but the supporting cast is not enough to help her. Cal doesn’t scare me all, they just don’t have anything much outside of her.

Reaction Score
I live in Berkeley now, with season tickets to UCB women. While Cal is not yet at UConn's level, Anigwe is the real deal. She is a premier player and Gottlieb is a good coach.
UCB has other good players, including a star first year student. I am hopeful that they will do well this year.
Good luck with your season. Always liked your coach.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She was good when she was a freshman, yet not many people talked about her.
I actually remembering hearing quite a bit about her that year. IIRC she was named National Freshman of the Year, despite the fact that her team wasn't very good and didn't even make the tournament that year.

Reaction Score
Week #2
La. Tech's Anthony is espnW's player of the week

Senior guard Kierra Anthony scored a school-record 50 points Wednesday in the Lady Techsters' 100-88 overtime victory over visiting Houston. She then added 20 points, five rebounds and five assists Sunday in a 66-50 victory over Memphis and is the espnW national player of the week.

Also nominated: Bridget Carleton (Iowa State); Kaila Charles (Maryland); Laura Ferreira (South Florida); Megan Gustafson (Iowa); Ruthy Hebard (Oregon); Michaela Onyenwere UCLA); Jackie Young (Notre Dame)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom