KO's phantom lineup/rotations return | The Boneyard

KO's phantom lineup/rotations return

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
What the hell was that in the late second half? We literally had a 6-man rotation. The offense has repeatedly stalled when KO has out-thunk himself with the odd rotations and lineups.

Very peculiar that he sat Jalen the WHOLE second half until Temple closed the gap. Then when we need offense with 2 mins left we throw him in there cold and expect him to run the offense? Omar played over him and brought us nothing tonight. There's no excuse for NOT playing Jalen, unless there was something disciplinary that we don't know about. Gibbs simply could not run the offense effectively down the stretch, we needed Jalen on the court.

Nolan kept missing bunnies but keeps playing and stays in after committing dumb fouls? And we sit Brimah down the stretch?

We need to start playing some consistent line-ups so that the guys don't get cold. The defense is not the problem .

Blame the missed lay-ups if you want, but I think KO has been over-thinking the player substitutions. It would be simply unacceptable if he doesn't provide a reason for not playing Jalen in the second half. Very puzzling stuff.

Reaction Score
What the hell was that in the late second half? We literally had a 6-man rotation. The offense has repeatedly stalled when KO has out-thunk himself with the odd rotations and lineups.

Very peculiar that he sat Jalen the WHOLE second half until Temple closed the gap. Then when we need offense with 2 mins left we throw him in there cold and expect him to run the offense? Omar played over him and brought us nothing tonight. There's no excuse for NOT playing Jalen, unless there was something disciplinary that we don't know about. Gibbs simply could not run the offense effectively down the stretch, we needed Jalen on the court.

Nolan kept missing bunnies but keeps playing and stays in after committing dumb fouls? And we sit Brimah down the stretch?

We need to start playing some consistent line-ups so that the guys don't get cold. The defense is not the problem .

Blame the missed lay-ups if you want, but I think KO has been over-thinking the player substitutions. Very puzzling stuff.
He's probably over stressed looking for someone to make a layup.

Reaction Score
How can you bag Ollie for Adams?

This team had a 12 point lead with 5 minutes left after being down at the half.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
He's probably over stressed looking for someone to make a layup.

Glad you took the time to read my whole post. Nice job.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
How can you bag Ollie for Adams?

This team had a 12 point lead with 5 minutes left after being down at the half.

And we should have been up 18-20 instead of up 12. Put in Jalen and I'm sure the offense runs better. Instead, we leave him out the whole second half, the offense stalls, and then KO throws him in there cold with the game on the line and expects him to make plays. REALLY unfair.

Reaction Score

Blame the missed lay-ups if you want, but I think KO has been over-thinking the player substitutions. It would be simply unacceptable if he doesn't provide a reason for not playing Jalen in the second half. Very puzzling stuff.
Ollie was beyond awful tonight

Reaction Score
I'm ready to let the youngin's run the show. Start playing Adams and Enoch as many minutes as we can. If we're going to lose, let's get the future some experience

Reaction Score
Yeah, this season is almost over why not let the young guys play the most minutes.

Reaction Score
There is no excuse that he sat Adams for the whole second half and then expecta him to bail us out when we are down all of a sudden. Ollie just seems to have no clue how to substitute players, it's gotten to the point where it's a glaring weakness as a coach.

Reaction Score
Adams not playing for the first 17 min of 2nd half and Facey not playing at all is mind boggling. When Brimah missed that dunk I knew we were screwed

Reaction Score
There is no excuse that he sat Adams for the whole second half and then expecta him to bail us out when we are down all of a sudden. Ollie just seems to have no clue how to substitute players, it's gotten to the point where it's a glaring weakness as a coach.
Agree. Players in the offseason can go to camps run by NBA player to hone their skills against the best in college ball, i wonder if there's a coaching camp. KO has his great moments, but he makes some puzzling decisions and never really seems to have a positive attitude, something that rubs off on his team. Also the rest of the staff being UConn figureheads rather than good coaching minds doesn't help.

Reaction Score
Agree. Players in the offseason can go to camps run by NBA player to hone their skills against the best in college ball, i wonder if there's a coaching camp. KO has his great moments, but he makes some puzzling decisions and never really seems to have a positive attitude, something that rubs off on his team. Also the rest of the staff being UConn figureheads rather than good coaching minds doesn't help.

KO needs game film sessions with JC

Reaction Score
And we should have been up 18-20 instead of up 12. Put in Jalen and I'm sure the offense runs better. Instead, we leave him out the whole second half, the offense stalls, and then KO throws him in there cold with the game on the line and expects him to make plays. REALLY unfair.

Man, what is the logic here? With Jalen, we gave up easy 3s and fell behind.
Without him, we built a 12 point lead. And you expect Ollie to do what then?

I get that putting Jalen in earlier could've potentially saved this game. I get that.

What I don't get is the logic. When things were going well, Ollie stuck with his lineup.

Somehow Ollie was supposed to predict the complete clusterfrig of the last 5 minutes. He should have seen that coming, you know, because the rest of the game should have told him, without Jalen, it was coming.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Soehw Ollie was supposed to predict the complete assf**kery of the last 5 minutes. He should have seen that coming, you know, because the rest of the game should have told him, without Jalen, it was coming.

No. The offense went cold long before the collapse. Jalen is also one of our better perimeter defenders, if not our BEST perimeter defender. Temple doesn't make it rain from 3 with Jalen out there. UConn doesn't fall apart on offense with Jalen out there.

We should have pulled away and put the game to bed but instead KO played a 6 man rotation, our guys got tired, the offense stalled, and we couldn't play defense. KO says Jalen was benched for a team reason, but put him back in there with 2 mins left with the game on the line? No, that's not okay.

Reaction Score
No. The offense went cold long before the collapse. Jalen is also one of our better if not our BEST perimeter defender. Temple doesn't make it rain from 3 with Jalen out there. UConn doesn't fall apart running offense with Jalen out there.

Don't understand sitting Jalen, yet you let Hamilton give up multiple wide open three's by coming off his man

Reaction Score
Man, what is the logic here? With Jalen, we gave up easy 3s and fell behind.
Without him, we built a 12 point lead. And you expect Ollie to do what then?

I get that putting Jalen in earlier could've potentially saved this game. I get that.

What I don't get is the logic. When things were going well, Ollie stuck with his lineup.

Somehow Ollie was supposed to predict the complete clusterfrig of the last 5 minutes. He should have seen that coming, you know, because the rest of the game should have told him, without Jalen, it was coming.

Because we have two months of games that show what happens when Gibbs run the offense. Ollie knows at this point. We also have four games in a row where the team seemed to turn the corner..with Jalen running the show.

You don't do what Ollie did. Period. Unless you don't care if you lose. (Or you definitely will win.)

Reaction Score
Okay even if Ollie was justifying the sitting, then don't put him in at the end. He just compounded whatever message he was sending and in fact it became lost in losing. Sorry that's a coaching mistake.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Don't understand sitting Jalen, yet you let Hamilton give up multiple wide open three's by coming off his man

Hamilton had a nightmare game defensively tonight.

Reaction Score
No. The offense went cold long before the collapse. Jalen is also one of our better perimeter defenders, if not our BEST perimeter defender. Temple doesn't make it rain from 3 with Jalen out there. UConn doesn't fall apart on offense with Jalen out there.

We should have pulled away and put the game to bed but instead KO played a 6 man rotation, our guys got tired, the offense stalled, and we couldn't play defense. KO says Jalen was benched for a team reason, but put him back in there with 2 mins left with the game on the line? No, that's not okay.

Did you miss the first half?

Reaction Score
Because we have two months of games that show what happens when Gibbs run the offense. Ollie knows at this point. We also have four games in a row where the team seemed to turn the corner..with Jalen running the show.

You don't do what Ollie did. Period. Unless you don't care if you lose. (Or you definitely will win.)

Even if you give all that, they were up by 12 without Jalen, behind with him.

So Ollie should have expected that 4 trip meltdown (2 Gibbs drives for misses, 1 Gibbs offensive fou, Brimah fumbling the ball?)?

Reaction Score

OKAY... so he was 'disciplined' until you needed him with under 2 minutes left? I call bull$h!t!

I really wonder what Jalen could be doing to get these punishments. Obviously we don't know him personally but he seems like a smart kid so I doubt it's school related, also seems like a really nice, outgoing kid, so doubt its friction with teammates. I feel like it could be maybe differences with the coaching staff, not saying I'm right but he seems like he might have some intense disagreements in practices with KO, etc. I'll probably get some flack for this but just an opinion

Reaction Score
He should have expected the offense would stall, because it always does.

And upstarter hit it on the head. Ollie benched him for his mistakes on defense. Despite ignoring the mistakes the rest of the team made. And despite the fact that he's our only point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom