Kolek out for the next two games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kolek out for the next two games

Reaction Score
Never wishing for a player’s injury but it’ll be a bit easier. A win is a win. Nobody outside of the UConn fanbase cries when one of our players is out

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This obviously sucks for Marquette and the Big East more broadly, but also puts us in a no-win situation on Wednesday. The narrative will be either:

W: UConn beats top 10 Marquette on the road, but without Kolek does it really mean anything?
L: UConn lost to Marquette without Kolek -- are they in trouble?
An alternate view is we just go right on winning regardless of who the opponent is and what kind of shape they are in. Injuries are just part of the game and no one is immune to them. It's not something we can control but I see where you're coming from. They are a team that will not quit so best to be prepared with no let down.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I can't recall an oblique injury being any less than 6 weeks in other sports

I think he's done for the year
I was actually thinking the same. You hear oblique injury in baseball (different movements I know) and the player is out for a least a month.

Reaction Score
They are? In your head or on the court? On the court, they played Creighton even in Omaha for 36 minutes without not just him but their center as well.
And lost by 14. I don't think they are a threat to go anywhere in the tournament without him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hope he is back and ready to play for the Big East tournament, or at least the NCAAs. Would hate to see him and Marquette deprived of a real chance to go deep in March.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Smart move. Play the long game. You gotta think it's not much difference for Marquette as a 2-3 seed. I think there's even data points suggesting a 4-seed can make a deep run in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Sucks for Kolek. These types are personalities are what makes the big east great. Hope he comes back in time for NCAAs at minimum. If he does not, does he have eligibility left? He was starting to make most draft boards but a late season injury to a fringe guy, I'd have to imagine the NIL opportunities at Marquette/transfer would be far higher than what he could make as an injured middling NBA prospect.

Reaction Score
Do you think they can win a tournament game without him? I don't.
Plenty of teams worse than Marquette without Kolek win tournament games every year. And most of them play teams better than whatever team Marquette will play in the first round.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Do you think they can win a tournament game without him? I don't.

I do. At worst they are a 3 seed. They can absolutely beat a 14 seed without Tyler Kolek. And they can probably beat the 6 seed in the next round too. I feel your estimation of this is misguided.

Reaction Score
We need more competition as we head into NCAAs. Not less. So this sucks for us. Also sucks for Marquette and he league. They are completely dead in the water without him. I hope he can play in the NCAAs.
did you see their game against Creighton? We are gonna have our hands full bud.

Reaction Score
Plenty of teams worse than Marquette without Kolek win tournament games every year. And most of them play teams better than whatever team Marquette will play in the first round.
I wouldn't bet on Marquette to beat anyone without Kolek. With the right match up maybe. But I think both our teams that lost to New Mexico State and Maryland would beat Marquette without Kolek.... and neither of those teams won a game in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I am very confident that Marquette can beat a 15 seed without him.
That's fair. I should probably rephrase my statement to, do you think Marquette gets out of the first weekend.

Reaction Score
This obviously sucks for Marquette and the Big East more broadly, but also puts us in a no-win situation on Wednesday. The narrative will be either:

W: UConn beats top 10 Marquette on the road, but without Kolek does it really mean anything?
L: UConn lost to Marquette without Kolek -- are they in trouble?
I hope they aren’t lulled into a false sense of security regarding Wednesday’s game with him not playing; they challenged the BJ’s for most the game on Saturday without him.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't bet on Marquette to beat anyone without Kolek. With the right match up maybe. But I think both our teams that lost to New Mexico State and Maryland would beat Marquette without Kolek.... and neither of those teams won a game in the tournament.

I think you are comically underrating Marquette and potentially setting yourself up for disappointment in two days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom