Kobe on the Warriors Offense | The Boneyard

Kobe on the Warriors Offense

pj

Reaction Score
Warriors offense can win championships at an NBA level because they have good shooters. But the part about getting good shots doesn't involve shooting ability. It involves great conditioning, team mentality, engagement of all players in setting screens and sharing the ball and ensuring proper spacing and off-ball movement.

If we could consistently get great shots, then even if our shooters were mediocre, we'd score enough to win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, No you need good shooters to make this offense work. How many times have you seen defenses over play and fall for multiple ball fakes against this team because they know the amount of knock down shooters on court. With mediocre shooters the defense can hit them with a zone especially in college with no defensive 3 seconds.

Reaction Score
The Warriors offense is nothing but basic basketball fundamentals, much like the Spurs offense the last 20 years; sharing the ball, balanced attack, screening, how to read those screens, cutting with a purpose, shooting, and being able to dribble.

Our problem, like tons of other teams; high school, college, and at the pro level, is players only thinking about themselves and not know how to mesh individual goals with team goals. Once we get players to buy into the team goal, develop skills, share the ball, we will be good. It has to be the Team. The Team. The Team!!

Reaction Score
This is the kind of offense KO could teach, if he can bring back his team-first, hard-work, ten-toes-in, hard-nosed mindset with JC-level conditioning:

Bwahahahahahahaha.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So what you're saying is, if Ollie learns how to coach, we can run this offense? Maybe he can also make Larrier into Durant, and Adams into Curry.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not guys I think PJ considered the fact that our players are not as good as Golden State's before he posted this. It's still a great watch, though, and what Kerr managed to instill in Oakland looks a hell of a lot more practical now than it did then. When he took the job it was a pedestrian offense and his methodology probably would have drawn a lot of the same punchlines that we've seen in this thread.

A lot of this is innate, though. I actually think Steph and Klay growing up with the father's that they had played a big role in them being able to internalize this stuff in a way that is not feasible for anybody else, even NBA guys. Obviously you're not gonna turn Kentan Facey into Draymond no matter what you do but that doesn't mean you can't honor the process and a lot of teams fall into the same trap people ITT fall into in thinking about what they can't do.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Systems like this need elite "stay-in-bounds" guys and the crucial "make-an-open-layup" type that every team needs that seem to be rare these days.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Warriors offense can win championships at an NBA level because they have good shooters. But the part about getting good shots doesn't involve shooting ability. It involves great conditioning, team mentality, engagement of all players in setting screens and sharing the ball and ensuring proper spacing and off-ball movement.

If we could consistently get great shots, then even if our shooters were mediocre, we'd score enough to win.

We had a lot of open shots last year, more than people realize. We just couldn't make buckets. And offense in general is compounding, if you start hitting shots, you hit more shots, and get more looks as the D overcompensates and over-commits.

Was our O great last year? No. But if we made the shots we should have made, it would have a totally different sheen on it looking back.

Reaction Score
I find it a compliment to Ollie that the announcer for our 2014 championship game fell so in love with his guard orientated offense and defense, that he implimented it into one of the most dominating NBA runs in history. Yes having players always helps. But I do find it funny. Steve Kerr took the hapless warriors to the western finals that year (right ?)his first as coach.( not forgetting what mjackson had going,but Kerr changed it for the better, thanks ko)

Reaction Score
KO is not a huge fan of the three. The NBA has turned into a league based on shooting the three. Even when we are shooting them well, KO wants to limit the number of shots from the arc. Ergo, the Warrior offense wouldn't play in Storrs.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Someone needs to show Carmelo Anthony this video.

Reaction Score
I have zero clue how anyone whose watched UConn the past 5 years and watched at least 5 minutes of the Warriors play can conclude that's the type of offense Ollie is capable of teaching.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have zero clue how anyone whose watched UConn the past 5 years and watched at least 5 minutes of the Warriors play can conclude that's the type of offense Ollie is capable of teaching.

Again, give him Curry, Klay, Durant, Green and crew....and he'll run that thing no problem.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Again, give him Curry, Klay, Durant, Green and crew....and he'll run that thing no problem.
They'll still get beat by the Cavs in 6. Never bet against the team with the alpha leader who has his entire organization buying into whatever he is selling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom