OT: - Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash [merged thread] | The Boneyard

OT: Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash [merged thread]

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Where did the first thread go?

Variety is saying it has been confirmed...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Confirmed by LA Times...lead story, no doubt now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
RIP Kobe. You'll be missed. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. :(

I live 40 miles inland from the coast in the metropolitan Los Angeles area. There was a thick (low) fog that blanketed the basin this morning. An unconfirmed report said that the helicopter crashed into the side of a mountain. I can believe that. The ceiling couldn't have been more than 200'.

I can normally see the mountains to the north which are only 2 miles from my home. Not today. It's only 11 miles from Calabasas to the Malibu beach coastline. No doubt the fog was much thicker that close to the coast. I wonder how could an experienced (supposedly) pilot did not know where the nearby mountain ranges were? I'm sure we'll get more details throughout the day. This will be the lead story on every news cast.

"Bryant was on his way to a travel basketball game with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna Bryant when the helicopter crashed, sources told ESPN's Wojnarowski. Those aboard the helicopter also included another player and parent. According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, there were no survivors of the crash. An investigation is ongoing."

"Kobe Bryant, former NBA superstar, has died in a helicopter crash in California. Five people were on the helicopter Bryant was aboard when it crashed near Calabasas, according to TMZ Sports. The crash was called in by mountain bikers, who spotted the downed helicopter sitting several hundred feet off the road."

Post edit - "LOS ANGELES -- The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant didn't have a recommended warning system to alert the pilot he was too close to land, but it's not clear it would have prevented the crash that killed nine on Sunday because the pilot might have lost control as the aircraft plunged into a fog-shrouded mountain, federal officials said Tuesday.

Pilot Ara Zobayan was climbing out of the clouds when the aircraft banked left and began a sudden descent that lasted nearly a minute.

"This is a pretty steep descent at high speed," said Jennifer Homendy of the National Transportation Safety Board. "We know that this was a high-energy impact crash."

The aircraft was intact when it hit the ground, but the impact of the crash spread debris over more than 500 feet. The last of the bodies and the wreckage were recovered from the Calabasas, California, hillside Tuesday, authorities said.

Autopsies confirmed the deaths of Bryant, Zobayan, John Altobelli and Sarah Chester, the medical examiner reported. The names of the five other victims have not been released, but they have been publicly identified as Bryant's 13-year-old daughter Gianna; Chester's 13-year-old daughter, Payton; Altobelli's wife, Keri, and daughter Alyssa; and Christina Mauser, a girls' basketball coach at a Southern California elementary school."

I'm in shock and I'm numb. Laker Nation lost a great one today. :(

ESPN news report -

The sports world mourns the death of Kobe Bryant

1580070327703.png

Last edited:

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
ABC is reporting four of his children also on helicopter

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This beyond horrible. No words —

Phee and everyone who was even a little bit close to him must be utterly devastated. Geno too. Just everyone.

RIP Kobe

cant believe i just typed those words

Reaction Score
My God his daughters too? I can’t imagine what’s going through Geno and the teams mind right now. This is devastating.

Reaction Score
This is horrible news. RIP, Kobe. Praying ABC is wrong about his kids being on board.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
They are reporting four of his children also on helicopter

I was hoping they just misspoke. If this is confirmed, I can’t imagine how torn apart Vanessa must be.

Reaction Score

I was hoping they just misspoke. If this is confirmed, I can’t imagine how torn apart Vanessa must be.

Five reported dead yet Kobe, his four daughters and the pilot are gone? The math isn't adding up.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
ABC website does not say daughters on board (3:32)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
ABC is reporting four of his children also on helicopter
I would wait on confirmation before speculating on who was on board. So far the only one confirmed was Kobe Bryant. News reports say 5 on board - 4 daughters would make 6 unless Kobe was the pilot.

Reaction Score
TMZ reporting Gigi was also killed - on their way to Mamba Academy for basketball practice. Very sad,

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow so shocking and incredibly sad. He's one of the great ones.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom