KO Speech today | The Boneyard

KO Speech today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I for one was blown away by KO's speech. He covered everything from soup to nuts quite eloquently and made it clear that his effort will not be a reason for failure. I think he could turn out to be a better recruiter than Calhoun. Anyone who is writing us off really doesn't know this guy. After all of the things said by coach and KO today about "family", I just don't see how they fire him after just one season and bring in an outsider no matter what. They have to take into consideration that there is no front court. This is as much a test for ghe AD as KO.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Loved the comment about when he was here as a recruit with an LA hat on, a milk shake in his hand and watching another JC practice session going fiull bore when suddenly a fight breaks out btw Rod Sellers and Marc Suhr(??). He said he was hooked right there as it was just like being in LA.Also, he really played up the Herbst. Can't see him getting fired unless he bombs big time and Bazz and Boat won't let that happen.

Reaction Score
I honestly had never heard KO speak before as I usually don't watch or listen to any postgame stuff and just read reports from the Horde members and get quotes from there. After listening to his speech and his interview with Andy Katz following the press conference, I'm not understanding all of the previous complaints posters had on here about the way Ollie speaks publicly. Like I said I never heard the WTIC segments so I can't speak on those but I can't see him being that much different than how he presented himself today. Here is the Katz interview:

Reaction Score
I will admit that I had heard only sounds bites previously of KO and I didn't love it for a variety of reason. I was wrong, he'll be fine and UCONN will be fine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I honestly had never heard KO speak before as I usually don't watch or listen to any postgame stuff and just read reports from the Horde members and get quotes from there. After listening to his speech and his interview with Andy Katz following the press conference, I'm not understanding all of the previous complaints posters had on here about the way Ollie speaks publicly. Like I said I never heard the WTIC segments so I can't speak on those but I can't see him being that much different than how he presented himself today. Here is the Katz interview:

It wasn't any different than that. It was great, and so is this.

Reaction Score
Ollie actually seems like a gifted orator, I did not expect this.

With a little work he could probably be a TV broadcaster or a minister, or a politician.

Reaction Score
Man, he was nervous. I liked what he said though.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that, ace

Reaction Score

Hearing him speak changed my mind. Reading a transcript, where all you see is the obvious grammatical mistakes (specifically the frequent lack of subject-verb agreement--"you was" being an example that he didn't necessarily make) made him sound like he struggled to speak, and it read embarrassingly. But just letting him talk, you only catch it if you are listening and trying to catch it. His inflection and communication skills in general covered them up and he sounded quite good.

Reaction Score
The was vs were thing was quite noticeable, but other than that he was very, very good. Clearly he is very passionate,

Reaction Score
he speaks with a little ebonics, but at least half of the top players in the country every year do too. I don't give a what anyone thinks about what he says or how he says it except top recruits. Let the rich middle age white guys criticize him for the misuse of words while he pulls in top 10 recruits every year. Same thing with his religious views. He's clearly a hardcore christian. I happen to not be christian or religious in any way. However, lots of recruits are hardcore christian. If he can use that angle, than that's great.

SJ

Reaction Score
I was in Gampel. I thought I would cry when JC spoke, but it was KO who made me get the lump in my throat. I just simply love him and his attitude. We know he's got the heart for the game, and the players. I just hope he has the heart to kick them in the rear when needed! But, yes, he definitely exemplifies the camaraderie and sense of family unity that JC built the program on. GO KO! I like how his name means Knock Out, too. Lots of good sign options there. ;)

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Just watched the press conference and then this video. What a class act, wow.....I'm starting get a little more comfortable.

Reaction Score

After watching this, and knowing KO's history, you understand why Calhoun wanted him as successor. KO takes any challenge head-on, and proves everyone wrong. He had no business being in the NBA, and stuck around for 13 years. He's a hard worker, leader, competitor, and is tough as hell. He won't take no for an answer. Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
Where can I view KO's press conference speech. I cannot find it anywhere on the interweb...

Reaction Score
The comma vs. period thing was quite noticeable, but other than that this post was very, very good.
Yes, because not only are those mistakes perfectly equivalent (basic grammar vs. style), but a random poster is not allowed to point out a public figures' mistakes.

Honestly, KO changed my mind about his speaking since all I ever saw was his words in writing. He's a good public speaker, which is also what the speaker you're picking on was also saying.

Reaction Score
He appears to be a good mtivator and leader. But he needs to work on his speaking and grammar. You guys can gloss over it all you want but it matters and he needs to work on it. It can be done. It just takes a little work.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But he needs to work on his speaking and grammar. You guys can gloss over it all you want but it matters and he needs to work on it. It can be done. It just takes a little work.
I disagree. IMO the people who think this do not matter either to Kevin's success or the success of the program. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Doesn't matter to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom