KO, let us remember, is a phenomenon | The Boneyard

KO, let us remember, is a phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one hears KO speak and comes away thinking he is especially intelligent.

No one who saw him play basketball thinks he was a gifted player or even especially athletic.

No one who has witnessed his coaching thinks he is an exceptional teacher or recruiter or game-time tactician.

But although not especially intelligent, he is a university graduate. Although not a gifted player, he had a 13-year NBA career. Although not a great coach, he has compiled a 62% winning percentage in a 6-year Division I career. (127-78)

Perhaps even more impressive, in a world that does not gladly reward fools and incompetents, he has pocketed millions of dollars in compensation. If money is the measure, KO is rich, so he must be smart. He not only makes more money than us, but we line up to pay it to him.

And perhaps more to the point, he is a coach who has won a national championship. He has proved he can capture lightning in a bottle. He has done what scores of "more competent" coaches have never done, what the celebrated Tom Izzo has done no more times than KO and not in 18 years.

In a word, KO is a phenomenon. He is the plodding genius who is not smart enough to see the obstacles that stop the rest of us. He is a man who has conquered his own limitations and does not complicate the battle by taking on the limitations of his critics.

I am as frustrated by the past two years as anyone, but I am neither a genius nor a phenomenon, and I am certainly not rich. I am inclined to hitch my wagon to someone who is all three.

Reaction Score
No one hears KO speak and comes away thinking he is especially intelligent...

But although not especially intelligent...

If money is the measure, KO is rich, so he must be smart.

Facepalm-Memes-1.png

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A shorter version would be KO stepped in dog doo in 2014. If we give him another ten years, maybe it happens again.

Reaction Score

No one who saw him play basketball thinks he was a gifted player or even especially athletic.

No one who has witnessed his coaching thinks he is an exceptional teacher or recruiter or game-time tactician.

But although not especially intelligent, he is a university graduate. Although not a gifted player, he had a 13-year NBA career. Although not a great coach, he has compiled a 62% winning percentage in a 6-year Division I career. (127-78)

Perhaps even more impressive, in a world that does not gladly reward fools and incompetents, he has pocketed millions of dollars in compensation. If money is the measure, KO is rich, so he must be smart. He not only makes more money than us, but we line up to pay it to him.

And perhaps more to the point, he is a coach who has won a national championship. He has proved he can capture lightning in a bottle. He has done what scores of "more competent" coaches have never done, what the celebrated Tom Izzo has done no more times than KO and not in 18 years.

In a word, KO is a phenomenon. He is the plodding genius who is not smart enough to see the obstacles that stop the rest of us. He is a man who has conquered his own limitations and does not complicate the battle by taking on the limitations of his critics.

I am as frustrated by the past two years as anyone, but I am neither a genius nor a phenomenon, and I am certainly not rich. I am inclined to hitch my wagon to someone who is all three.

Sum up: Being not very good is genius if one makes a lot of money in mediocrity. Therefore, its really a form of greatness.

.... unbelievable... most call that a con job

Reaction Score
A shorter version would be KO stepped in dog doo in 2014. If we give him another ten years, maybe it happens again.
If it happens again he will be in rare company! That would blow up a thread or two.

Reaction Score
KO was an especially gifted player. That’s why he went to UConn and the NBA. He wasn’t the best, but he was elite by most measures.

To assume he isn’t particularly intelligent isn’t fair either. I have no idea if he is or not, but his dialect is not an indicator of intelligence. I’d say his strong ability to remember and repeat cool quotes and coin others himself shows some verbal intelligence at minimum. His ability to climb the ladder on professional levels also indicates some intelligence.

Reaction Score
KO used to stare down adversity and will he is way to succeed. For most of his career, he took the stairs. It is why you heard of stories of him driving down to Milford for a semi pro game. It why he lasted 13 years in the NBA. I wish we had that KO. If we did, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Reaction Score
I have no idea if he is or not, but his dialect is not an indicator of intelligence.

Dialect is not an indicator of intelligence. Dialect is a product of environment. Like an accent or another language it's nothing more than the way someone speaks based on the language they learned from their environment. There are cases where someone who is mentally challenged will have extremely poor speech, but this obviously isn't the case. Ollie speaks like where he's from, the hood. Plenty of intelligent people live in the ghettos, but they weren't afforded the same education or opportunity many of us were.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dialect is not an indicator of intelligence. Dialect is a product of environment. Like an accent or another language it's nothing more than the way someone speaks based on the language they learned from their environment. There are cases where someone who is mentally challenged will have extremely poor speech, but this obviously isn't the case. Ollie speaks like where he's from, the hood. Plenty of intelligent people live in the ghettos, but they weren't afforded the same education or opportunity many of us were.

You were clear that this is what I said, right?

Reaction Score
I am inclined to hitch my wagon to someone who is all three.[/QUOTE]

I’m inclined to hitch my wagon to someone if it means a ten million dollar windfall for one more year.

Reaction Score
But although not especially intelligent, he is a university graduate. .
How do you know he is not "especially intelligent"? It is very hard to grasp a persons true intelligence even after years of knowing them face to face! People are too complex to judge so easily and the ones who do judge so easily, well.....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Sort of. Many of the truly intelligent people from those places, once afforded an educational opportunity, as Ollie was, put that dialect behind them. There are many examples out there. Kevin didn’t. That may be because as an NBA player, it wasn’t a hindrance to his career. As a coach, I think it is (although not significantly so).

Reaction Score
I think the NBA allows for players to speak as they please. There are a lot of NBA players that don’t lose the dialect and don’t need to. KO has a reputation as a professional and smart player.

Honestly, the biggest indicator I’ve seen from him supporting a lack of intelligence is the number of minutes Onurah gets.

Reaction Score
Sort of. Many of the truly intelligent people from those places, once afforded an educational opportunity, as Ollie was, put that dialect behind them. There are many examples out there. Kevin didn’t. That may be because as an NBA player, it wasn’t a hindrance to his career. As a coach, I think it is (although not significantly so).
No, not "sort of".

Some people choose to put in the effort to get rid of their dialect/slang, others have no desire, nor reason to. Most people don't think there is anything wrong with the way they speak, because that's their normal.

Regardless of his self-awareness, or his dialect, it's not an indicator of how intelligent he is or isn't. One literally has nothing to do with the other. The only thing we can conclude, is that people will perceive him differently, based on what they expect.

Reaction Score
How do you know he is not "especially intelligent"? It is very hard to grasp a persons true intelligence even after years of knowing them face to face! People are too complex to judge so easily and the ones who do judge so easily, well.....

Unfortunately intelligence and drive are two very different things. Many of the real success stories I have seen combine those two qualities. Unfortunately it appears Ollie has lost the drive.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

So basically the Forest Gump of college coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom